Jump to content

HMS Vanguard by marktiedens - Model Shipways - scale 1:72

Recommended Posts

  • 4 weeks later...

Update - poop deck on & planked.  The cap rails were added & the carronades were finally finished & set in place with all the rigging:blink:.  The carronades are shown in the retracted position thus the lack of slack in the breech ropes.  The railings will be added later - if not, I would surely knock them loose.     Need to add a few more things & then on to the pointy end of the ship:D.







Link to post
Share on other sites

update - finished up the poop deck by adding some bitts, a few timberheads, stern brackets, the skylight, & a bunch of eyebolts.  I used liquid window maker for the skylight windows.   

Next, the bow railings & timberheads were installed.  The cap rails, railings, & timberheads were all laser cut to shape and fit nicely - basically just had to assemble, paint them & glue them on & cut 4 short sections out for the last 4 cannons.






Thanks for looking in:).




Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi - added the rest of the cannons to the deck plus the chimney & gratings.  




Before finishing off this area, I thought I would move to the bow deck area & work on the head rails.  First thing I had to do was chisel out the top of the wales so the gratings would sit on the supports properly.  after a lot of filing to the head rail slots in the supports, they were glued in place along with the upper cheek rail.




Then, the middle & lower head rails were shaped & glued in place - this took almost a whole day to get them even on both sides:wacko:.  Finally, the gratings were added.  Got a bunch more to do yet in that area.













Link to post
Share on other sites

Well,1 step forward & 2 steps back.  While working on the bow, I managed to break a few strips of the bow grating:angry:.  I managed to splice in some small HO scale strips & after some paint touch up it looks ok at arm`s length.







Continuing on, I finished up one side of the head rails.  I had to cut a groove in the rails for the covering strips to lay flat, but other than that it was just a lot of filing & sanding to get everything lined up.  Now I have to do it all over again on the other side:wacko:.







Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...