Image of Joseph Merrick's church model .

RussR

This is a image of the model that Joseph Merrick aka "Elephant Man" made while in the hospital.  Located at the Royal London Hospital Museum.

It makes me wonder what he could have created if he had the tools that I have.

Simply amazing.

joseph merrick church model .jpeg

Edited by RussR
add something

No, you missed my point.

they bought him a pri ted card model. This particular one was issued around 1870-1880 by a German firm, names Joseph Scholz. I found pics of a reprint in the WWW.

IMG_0709.JPG.44f1bb7c781d20d04c9a4890fffceff7.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG.303b8247aea5824a95cca96716d89d89.JPG

card modelling is quite a serious business in Germany, and it started very early in history.

Jan

I found an interesting thread on the Paper Modelers forum. http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/architectural-models/18859-mainz-cathedral-help.html

They say that Joseph Merrick only had the use of one hand. And he was an artist.

Which reminds me of a guy I worked with that had an electrical accident and lost and arm and leg. I don't think there was anything he couldn't do that an able bodied person could do. He couldn't be fitted with  prosthetic arm because he lost his arm at the shoulder. He worked a 320 acre ranch, deer hunt, fish, ect. He was an amazing guy.