Enak by raven62 - Scale 1:50 - RADIO - floating crane - Finished

Hi there,

after a short break of 26 years I've restart the build of the floating crane Enak. Based on plans  I've bought in 1993 the Build begans with the hull.

The beginning with plywood and balsa wood  was easy and the hull became quickly swimable.

But after this first success I have to realise that I'm not able to build the mechanics for the crane. No skills and no tools are on board. 

But actually I've get the needed skills in machining metal (I'm an autodidactic amateur, not a pro) I give it another try.

The actual state is

the hull is still water proof

three graupner rudder propellers mounted. I'm very excited if the will work or must replace them.

Electronics are not uptodate and will replaced.

Motors eventually too. May be with slow outrunners to save space.

Next steps will be saturate the wood with liquid epoxy to avoid swelling and build a slip.

The hull will be the single peace of wood. The deck and the cranes structure will be complete in metal.

regards

Ralf

IMG_8731.JPG

IMG_8730.JPG

IMG_8729.JPG

IMG_8728.JPG

IMG_8726.JPG

IMG_8725.JPG

Regards

Ralf

This does look to be a challenging yet interesting and unique model.  As for machining things, you'd be surprised at what can be done with hand tools and brass.  If you have access to any machine tools, that's even better.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi guys , 

thanks for your interest. 

Indeed, it will be a big challenge for me but i‘m not worried about the machining part ( i‘ve build successful a full functional crane before ) 

More complicated for me should be the more water based topics like balancing 

, ballast tanks,   etc. 

6FBE008B-4C94-4C88-B71B-5167AB65BB9E.jpeg

Regards

Ralf

Hi there,

planning, thinking, planning......  Actually I had enough form planning and decide to begin the work with important thing wich will needed, however the plan ends.

The crane need over 100 pulleys, often 3mm width with different diameters. So it is woth to invest in a selfmade formtool for the lathe.

From a piece of Silversteel I get with the Mill, several Files and at the end with a hand-lapper  the folloing Shape.

IMG_8792.thumb.JPG.9a23d940045c2f3d817fadb68c4efc32.JPG

Simply hardened

IMG_8795.thumb.JPG.9add388dd292650d9a94910d0f34495a.JPG

It makes now these nice pulleys

IMG_8797.thumb.JPG.8494564e6aeb2475608187235f6768bf.JPG

Not really perfect on the right side, but I'll have plenty of pieces to do and learn the right adjustments.

Probably the last pulley will be perfect 🙂

Regards

Ralf

Hi,

waiting for material.....

....but I'm impatient and so made a quick build of a little deckhouse with chimney for steam.

Build from 0.3mm aluminium , 1mm alu and a machined chimney.

Someone interested in my techniques of Metal-Handling? Then I'll write more about them.

IMG_8855.thumb.jpg.1f5f98383d1ad530142e9da9dacd6b5c.jpg

309294661_IMG_88542.thumb.jpg.0ebb700e087b42d091ffde12f6759aa3.jpg

Regards

Ralf

I removed my comment as I think I totally misread what Roger was saying.   My apologies.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 10/6/2019 at 5:03 AM, Roger Pellett said:

Metal working unfortunately takes a backseat to woodworking here.  Please expand on your techniques, and thank you!!

Roger

I will. But unfortunately I must recognize that the plans are not really accurate. Same Item have on three sheets three different sizes 😪. Thereby I'm forced to redraw all important things in Fusion 360 to get proper sizes and angles. 

Regards

Ralf

Hi,

today a big Step for the rudder propeller is done. The mechanic ist on his way, but still some todos. The kort-nozzles are roughed up and actually in a tumbler to get a proper surface finish. (My lathe is to weak to get a proper surface on a slope :(  )

You can see a short making of the kort-nozzles  here Instagram

Some impressions:

IMG_8887.thumb.JPG.cbfef031dc101d99950e555b5a55fe2a.JPG

IMG_8886.thumb.JPG.734405e03873dd3b7fead5f778f1e807.JPG

IMG_8881.thumb.JPG.d07982688d4826869a8b55615227bf25.JPG

IMG_8880.thumb.JPG.0fee683a9a99b6edce7c311c50657145.JPG

Regards

Ralf

Thanks,

no. The emphasis is on functionality only at the first stage of the build. Because I need fix points for all the scale things on deck. For example: the six rails on deck depend on the exakt sizes of the booms. The positions of the winches depends to the rails. And so on.  I'm not really perfect in matching all scale size, so they will varying a bit their location on deck. So the little Details, wich bring life to a modelship, will come when the crane is mechanical working. 

I can't wait to solder all the ladders for the booms ( roundabout three meters with platforms etc) 😎

I see, i've forgot to post a link to the original. Here it is: The original Enak

Regards

Ralf

I find it interesting that your crane has three Kort nozzle props that while obviously set up to allow for station keeping, look plenty large enough and powerful enough to provide transit power without the need of a tug. Yet the barge is clearly under tow in the picture. 

Great work so far of a very unusual subject. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 10/30/2019 at 8:39 PM, lmagna said:

I find it interesting that your crane has three Kort nozzle props that while obviously set up to allow for station keeping, look plenty large enough and powerful enough to provide transit power without the need of a tug. Yet the barge is clearly under tow in the picture. 

Great work so far of a very unusual subject. 

Hi Lou,

thank you.

My old Plan from the 90's shows just two nozzles. But the actual technical sheet from the shipping company tells three. So I decide to make three. It will be easier to drive for me.

Regards

Ralf

Topboom is mechanical done. Overall heigth is 175 cm (69 inches) and my cellar isn't high enough. So this unusual perspective :)

IMG_9143.thumb.JPG.b0668a2930aebf64cbdbd57110313b63.JPG

Ths is the position if the crane ist towed  long distances or bad weather conditions

IMG_9146.thumb.JPG.55e924e952446973abfaa0827d88d9f7.JPG

I'll try to make the model tough enough to fold and unfold him with his own winches like the 1/1

Regards

Ralf

Very interesting to watch this build, my machining skills are "0". You do great work!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

First part of rigging is done. Half way of ropes and pulleys to move the topboom. I'm glad to see, that i've build the correct geometric and rope guides to fold the crane

A short trip along the ropes  with all its pulleys etc. 

Ropes and Pulleys on Instagram. Working position

Ropes and Pulleys on Instagram. Folded position

Regards

Ralf

Today i've reached a major milestone in my project.

This little geared motor ( an euro-cent for comparison) can lift the topboom easily with 7.4V and 2 Kg weigth on the peak

IMG_9208.thumb.JPG.be4dafa02db112b606c791a0960e333d.JPG

The sizes of the machine are so pretty, that i'm able to put really scale housings on it.

Now I know, that the rest of the mechanics will work too. So I can start with sanding, filling, powder coating and so on.

Electric lifting the topboom  on Instagram

Regards

Ralf

I'm sure that the mechanics will work and the leaky Hull is waterproofed too.  So I've started with the embellishment of the parts I've done so far.

I can't lacquer very well so I've learned Powder Coating my metallic parts. It smells very vicious and you have to use a mask, but it's much less work for preparations.

A big limit for the size of the parts is the oven. In this case I must divide the mainboom, but fortunately the topboom fits exact

IMG_9230.thumb.JPG.0c2b073fa486e629f218b40ab48e6b85.JPG

simultaneously my new resin printer works on the first scale parts....

Regards

Ralf