New from Sweden

Hektor

Hi folks, I just stumbled in on this magnificant site. I especially like the athmosphere on all comments and the fenomenal will to help!

I´m not a beginner, have built models for a long time - mostly plastic airplanes. However I have in my stash a number of ships and thought that I have to do something about them.

Here they are: Revell Cutty Sark 1/96, Thermopylae 1/96 (old one), Wasa1/150, Snowberry 1/144, Heller Passat 1/150, Lindberg: La Flore 1/133? (old one), Santa Maria (old one), Victory (old one), Flying Cloud (old one).

I guess that these will keep me occupied for a number of years but I have patience not to rush. But which shall I begin with? Any suggestions?

Bye now from the south of Sweden

Hi Hektor,

Welcome to MSW.   I'd suggest that you pick the one that's easiest and also start a build log.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Hi guys. Thanks for your warmly welcome! I planned to start my first build log this week. But the rear admiral had other ideas. 

The space in which i do my modelling is going to be overtaken by her😠 I am movng up to the 2nd floor. But that is not so bad after all!

I can easily put in two working tables there - with lots of drawers. Also I can, at last, have my spraybooth up the whole time!

So things are going to be for the better I think. But now you have to wait at least 3 weeks before I am ready for my first build log here.

Oh, if you are wondering what subject it will be? It will be Lindbergs Santa Maria from 1965 in a "suitable scale":36:

Edited by Hektor

Welcome to the site!  Best of luck on your ship build 😊

Welcome! (Välkommen ;)

This is as you said yourself a very nice and friendly place to hang out.

Best ever I would say. The amount of help you can get here is just fantastic.

I suggest you start with the Santa Maria, as she has much less rigging than

all the others (appart from the Snowberry which is a totally different beast from

all the others, almost no rigging but very detailed).

Cheers!

Finishing Titanic 1/350 scale from Minicraft, Plastic. Partly scratch. Loads of PhotoEtch.

Upcoming builds: Syren from MS 1:64, Pegasus from Victory Models 1:64, Surprise from AL 1:48

On 9/30/2019 at 4:38 PM, Hektor said:

But which shall I begin with? Any suggestions?

Hektor, if that Santa Maria you have is the 1/118 scale version, then yes I would also recommend that ship.  Those smaller scale ships would be more difficult to work with, especially when you have to reach through the rest of the rigging to run another line or to tie one off.  That’s something that you didn’t have to deal with on the airplane models you’re used to.  Generally speaking, with the larger scale ship models like the 1/96 Cutty Sark, it’s easier to handle the larger parts, but the overall model is much more complex to tackle as a first try.

Take it from me as I’ve built it a long time ago and had to take several breaks in the construction due to the frustration of handling that complexity!

Bye the way, although I’ve never been to Sweden myself, both my grandfather and grandmother were born and raised about 2 ½ miles NE of Stromstad or about 250 miles NW of Ystad.  Welcome to MSW from a half Swede.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Hi Dave, I am not sure of the scale of this vessel. It says on the top cover " authentic scale" and on the side "scale 1 inch = 9 feet 5 inches". As I am not used to scaling in feet and inches, is that = 1/118? The kit number is 828:150. 

// Kent

Edited by Hektor