2-6-6-4 "Bulgar" Steam Locomotive by Dan Vadas - Modelik - 1:25 - CARD - FINISHED

Dan Vadas

21 hours ago, Canute said:

Yes, looks like you could fire it up and operate the mechanism. Extremely nice work, Danny.

Ken - fire up a paper model ????? I don't think that will end well :D .

I'm going backwards in the following posts to show some of the construction involved in the earlier post of my progress.

Quite a bit of work in building the two steam cylinders. I had a few re-does with these, as I didn't understand the basic principles of how they actually worked. Thanks to a couple of other build logs, Stephan and Lothar on German Paper Modelling sites, I eventually got them together the right way up and also WORKING :) . In these next pics I've cut apart one of my early failures. I actually managed to save every part and rebuilt the little section :

IMG_6604.JPG

The shaft should have gone right through the piece. I had added a paper roll to glue the legs to - wrong :

IMG_6605.JPG

Sometimes a single-edged razor blade works better than a scalpel for cutting parts off as it's about half the thickness :

IMG_6606.JPG

IMG_6609.JPG

Some of the parts for the end plates etc :

IMG_6601.JPG

How I keep multiple pieces aligned on an otherwise difficult part :

IMG_6616.JPG

IMG_6617.JPG

These two little pieces were very difficult to roll due to the cutouts in the middle. They turned out quite well :) :

IMG_6614.JPG

IMG_6618.JPG

Some finished sub-sections :

IMG_6602.JPG

IMG_6603.JPG

Lots of laser-cut bolt heads and how I cut them off the sheet :

IMG_6599.JPG

These name plaques turned out really well. They are laser-engraved, the gold colour was applied with a Pitt Pen :

IMG_6619.JPG

The finished cylinders. I'll put the name plaques on near the end of the build :

IMG_6610.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Put an electric motor in it and watch the mechanism go through the motions. I realize you can't "fire" it up.;)  Great build, Danny.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

!WOW!  awesome job Danny....look'in great :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you all for the Likes and comments. These are one thing that is keeping me going with this build - another is that I'm thoroughly enjoying it :) .

The two compressed air tanks. The ends are slightly domed. I cut some scrap paper roughly to shape to prevent any crushing later. The skin is only glued along it's edge :

IMG_6620.JPG

IMG_6638.JPG

IMG_6637.JPG

I've fitted all the main wheels and finished the brake mechanism for them. The brake shoes needed a little sanding to bed them in properly :

IMG_6621.JPG

IMG_6622.JPG

IMG_6623.JPG

To hold the wheels into the tube axles I mushroomed the ends of some tight fitting styrene rod with a small soldering iron and filed them as flat as possible :

IMG_6626.JPG

IMG_6627.JPG

The drive axle needs to be a solid fit as the two wheels have to turn in synchronisation. The crank pins are offset by 90 degrees from each other so that one wheel is vertical while the other is horizontal. This keeps the drive going without any stopping. To make sure they don't slip on the axle I made a keyway for each and also used CA glue to hold them to the axle :

IMG_6629.JPG

IMG_6632.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Looks brilliant Danny.

I've made paper model aircraft, but inspired by your build, I've only gone an ordered a loco to try. A Modelik T448P diesel in 1:25. Ordered the laser cut wheels, frames and grating with it as well!

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

This build looks like more effort than building from metal parts.  Really great work!  Just one small observation.  Under the Whyte classification system it is a 2-12-4.  Only one set of cylinders.  Under what seems to be an European system only one side is counted, thus the package reads 1-6-2.  🚆  My other hat.

On 11/28/2019 at 4:16 AM, vulcanbomber said:

Looks brilliant Danny.

I've made paper model aircraft, but inspired by your build, I've only gone an ordered a loco to try. A Modelik T448P diesel in 1:25. Ordered the laser cut wheels, frames and grating with it as well!

Good luck with that model Caroline, it looks a reasonably "easy" one to try as a first loco (if any are actually easy :D ). I think you'll find the Modelik kit to be quite a good one, detailing is nice and the instruction diagrams are understandable. It seems you've avoided a kit with a couple of thousand rivets, instead you have a couple of hundred louvres to cut ;) :D .

Take a look through THESE PICS of a finished model of one. They may come in useful for your build.

P.S. A laser-cut Rail set is also available, makes a nice "stand" for the loco.

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

Thanks for the pics, they will be helpful.

I chose the model as I am hoping a diesel will be an easier introduction than a steamy to loco's! I will have a look at the rails you mention. It will be displayed on top of our son's Hornby engine display cabinet (when finished (hopefully!!)) :D

that's a sweet looking model.........I hope you will post it ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

OMG! Breathtaking!!!!...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Just found this build log Danny, and I am very impressed with your construction of it and the look of the model in general.  I am always amazed by how realistic these card constructions can be - and how detailed and complex.  Very nice work indeed and I look forward to future updates.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Welcome to my build Gary. Paper modelling has it's own challenges, the solutions to some of which I've been fortunate to pick up from other MSW members and others from European Paper modellers. The medium is huge over there, probably as big as wood or plastic modelling :) .

1 hour ago, Moab said:

OMG! Breathtaking!!!!...Moab

In the words of Bachmann Turner Overdrive - "You ain't seen nuthin' yet" :D .

The crank pins are dealt with in similar fashion to the axles, using 2.0mm brass tubing and 1.6mm styrene rod which I heated with a small soldering iron to mushroom the end. It was then cleaned up and filed as flat as possible with a diamond-coated needle file :

IMG_6641.JPG

IMG_6640.JPG

IMG_6643.JPG

Once the axles were all installed I made some "hubcaps" from scrap paper. In my opinion they look better than the bare axle, which is actually the "correct" way on the original :

IMG_6645.JPG

The crank pins are also covered, I punched out some 0.5mm paper and glued them to the back of the printed parts to give them enough clearance :

IMG_6639.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Getting the crank mechanisms to actually work took some thought, as the kit makes no provision for this - it's simply all glued together.

I made every joint moveable (too many actually - the valve control mechanism is separate from the drive cranks and didn't really need doing) by punching and pinning every one. Most joints are held together with paper "nuts" which are the only parts of the joints that are glued. Here is the slide for the upper shaft which also needs to pivot :

IMG_6657.JPG

IMG_6652.JPG

IMG_6651.JPG

Some close-ups of all the right-hand side crank mechanisms :

IMG_6655.JPG

IMG_6654.JPG

IMG_6656.JPG

IMG_6653.JPG

With everything now in place the crank movement has really improved. It will get close to perfect once the drive wheels actually touch down - at the moment they are in mid-air as they don't have a flange like the other wheels.

I've started making the boilers. More progress updates will follow as I have something to show.

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

Wow, you made the driving cranks and rods so they actually work :o

You should put a video up to show it all moving, that is something I would love to see as all those moving parts always fascinates me when I see it all working on a full size version! ;) :D

On 11/30/2019 at 7:53 AM, vulcanbomber said:

You should put a video up to show it all moving, that is something I would love to see

Hopefully I can remember how to take one on my old camera - it's been about 10 years since I last did :D .

The firebox. There were laser-cut support frames for this and the boilers. I added some extra 10mm wide strips that just touch inside the sides to prevent any crushing, and also to stabilise the whole unit :

IMG_6661.JPG

IMG_6662.JPG

The cabin end has a rolled edge. I filled in the rounded part to give me something to work to :

IMG_6663.JPG

Filling in that edge really helped a lot to make a nice even roll without any "wobbles". The lighting makes it look a bit uneven in the pics - in reality it's turned out close to perfect :) . I glued each tab one at a time to give me time to push it into place properly :

IMG_6664.JPG

The slots between four of the tabs wasn't drawn correctly, and I finished up with gaps in them when I glued it up. I filled the gaps with some scrap paper. They are nearly impossible to pick with the naked eye :

IMG_6665.JPG

IMG_6666.JPG

IMG_6667.JPG

The skin was a beautiful fit, no adjustment necessary :

IMG_6668.JPG

IMG_6669.JPG

The ash box was a rather fiddly thing to glue up, but I'm more than happy with the result :

IMG_6671.JPG

I glued some tapered card around the inside of the edges to stop any bowing while gluing the ash box to the fire box :

IMG_6672.JPG

The result was pretty good :) :

IMG_6673.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Next job was the two boilers. It only took me a day and a half to make them both, and the finished result was really good - some of the best pieces I've ever made :) .

Once again I added extra card strips to prevent any crushing - it's a lot easier to crush a beer can barehanded than to do the same to these :D :

IMG_6677.JPG

Once the frames were finished I rolled and glued the skins. These were then slipped over the frames from one end and glued to them :

IMG_6678.JPG

The front of the boiler has a domed end. I sanded the shape into some extra card pieces before skinning it :

IMG_6674.JPG

IMG_6675.JPG

IMG_6676.JPG

I just had to take a couple of pics of my overall progress. The boilers and firebox are only sitting in place, it's a lot easier to add all the extras to them in smaller units :

IMG_6679.JPG

IMG_6680.JPG

IMG_6681.JPG

IMG_6682.JPG

IMG_6683.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Amazing work Danny. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Dan; you wrote: "It's a lot easier to crush a beer can barehanded than to do the same to these." I hope you did not test the boiler to destruction! Nice work on those compound curves.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Danny, very nice and yes the intricacy of your model is amazing. It might be possible with a bit of trickery to make the model work on air. A better option that firing her up!

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

look'in better and better Danny  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for dropping in again guys :) .

"It might be possible with a bit of trickery to make the model work on air."

Michael, none of my models are "powered" by anything more than my hand or fingers. I'm not about to start now ;) :D . Electric (battery) power would be the only option I would consider, but I'm way past the stage of installing anything like that.

The sandboxes and safety valves on top of the boilers. These have domed tops which came out well thanks in part to the preparation work I did. The rounded part of the extra card infill was first cut almost to shape with a scalpel (right) before final sanding with a sanding stick (left) :

IMG_6684.JPG

At a quick glance the ends of the tabs on the skins looked straight - they weren't :) :

IMG_6685.JPG

The boxes fitted to the two boiler sections :

IMG_6687.JPG

IMG_6688.JPG

This next piece - the compressor - took me two full days to make. There are 28 separate sections in the fins alone :

IMG_6689.JPG

A jig made alignment a little easier :

IMG_6690.JPG

The glued fin section before any final finishing :

IMG_6691.JPG

Some of the fins were very slightly larger or smaller than others (I'm talking 0.2mm at worst) but the differences were noticeable so I cut and filed them all to the same size :

IMG_6692.JPG

It still needed a bit of cleaning up with a tapered piece of wood :

IMG_6693.JPG

IMG_6694.JPG

The finished compressor :

IMG_6695.JPG

IMG_6696.JPG

IMG_6697.JPG

The start of thousands of 0.8mm rivets :

IMG_6698.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Simply amazing!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

And thank you David and Phil :) .

The plumbing is made from 3 sizes of brass rod - 2.0mm, 1.5mm and 1.0mm. I annealed it before attempting to make the bends. The most complex bend took me over an hour to get it ready for blackening with Birchwood-Casey Brass Black. I installed these pieces now before fitting the sections of boiler together :

IMG_6699.JPG

IMG_6700.JPG

IMG_6701.JPG

IMG_6703.JPG

Some type of safety blow-off valve perhaps ?

IMG_6704.JPG

Also before fitting the boiler sections together I finished off as much of the front plate as I could :

IMG_6702.JPG

IMG_6705.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Caroline :) .

Now I could fit the two forward sections of the boilers together. The join is behind one of the black "real" joining strips. They lined up perfectly :) :

IMG_6707.JPG

IMG_6706.JPG

IMG_6708.JPG

The next step will be the start of the cabin.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Nice plumbing work, Danny.   The loco is really coming together wonderfully.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It just keeps getting better and better...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways