2-6-6-4 "Bulgar" Steam Locomotive by Dan Vadas - Modelik - 1:25 - CARD - FINISHED

Dan Vadas

I've just spent about 4 hours cutting and fitting four windows. I've sandwiched some 0.25mm clear acrylic between the outer frame and the wall by cutting the hole in the lamination piece 0.5mm larger than the skin piece. They turned out perfect :

IMG_6709.JPG

IMG_6710.JPG

IMG_6711.JPG

IMG_6712.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

what did they supply for the plumbing.........your use of the metal rod is a better alternative ;)   the boiler looks awesome!  nice work on the cab glass too!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

21 hours ago, Dziadeczek said:

Exquisite build of an exquisite model!  Congratulations!

Just wanted to make sure your plate reads "CEGIELSKI" and not "CEGIEISKI", as below. (It is a well known Polish locomotive manufacturer, even today.)

Cegielski.jpg

All good now, I fixed it. Just a slip of the pen originally :D .

"what did they supply for the plumbing.........your use of the metal rod is a better alternative"

They don't supply anything for plumbing, but metal rod or wire is specified in the instructions. Most of these have a diagram you can follow, plus the size of wire.

Thanks everyone else for the comments. This is a most enjoyable model to build from a good publisher. The kit has a few small problems, but which kit doesn't? Nothing I haven't been able to work around.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Catching up on your build, Danny. I see you have mastered the dreaded "petal fold" -- the bane of card modelers everywhere. Excellent work so far!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Wow! Danny you make working with the card look easy, and you keep it all so clean.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

On 12/13/2019 at 9:05 AM, James H said:

How the HELL do you make card look like plastic? 🤩

James, I think it might be just a bit harder to make plastic look like paper :D .

Thank you Chris. A lot depends on how well the publisher has drawn the cut-outs for the petals. Then it comes down to accurate cutting - being a right-hander cutting the left side of the cut-out is easy enough, but it requires a counter-clockwise turn of the wrist to cut the right hand side without leaving an "over-cut". I colour the edges of the cuts before bending into the required shape before gluing. On larger bends some extra support under the skin is usually also required. I finish off by running a light-grade sanding stick over the join and re-touching the colour if needed.

The fireman's and engineer's control area of the cabin. Lots of fiddly interesting bits to add here :) . I started with the firebox door :

IMG_6713.JPG

IMG_6714.JPG

Next come the gauges - 3 parts for each plus an additional disc to maintain the right thickness :

IMG_6715.JPG

IMG_6716.JPG

Also two levers and a sliding turnscrew and wheel for the brakes :

IMG_6718.JPG

IMG_6717.JPG

According to the instructions these two boxes are something to do with a lubricating system (unless it was lost in translation :D ). A lot of work involved with these, starting with 13 hex-head fittings that have a 0.6mm hole in the middle for the piping. These fittings are only 1mm wide and took a bit of thought as to their manufacturing process. I started by spraying the sheet with gloss clear to give them some additional strength, punching the holes in them while they were all still on the sheet and then proceeding as usual for a hex-head bolt :

IMG_6719.JPG

IMG_6720.JPG

The pipes are 0.5mm black powdercoated copper wire used for bead making. I'm not sure about where they go after turning the corner, nothing shown in the instructions so this was my take on it :

IMG_6721.JPG

IMG_6722.JPG

A few more pieces will be added to this area later in the build.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

23 hours ago, maaaslo said:

i found this for you:

https://papermodels.pl/thread-10114.html

Oh ........ dear :huh: :D . Now THAT is nice - way beyond my pay grade :D . The thing is I'm building in paper because I don't want to paint, or as little as possible anyway ;) .

Thanks Pav.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2019 at 5:32 AM, maaaslo said:

are you going to rip it apart now? if so, i am so sorry i found those...

No, I won't be ripping anything out :D . I have used those pics and the website they came from to enhance my model a bit, so thanks for posting them :) . I'm leaving the lubrication pipes where they are as they don't interfere with anything else. I won't be going to the extent that the other guy did - he's used some 3D printed fittings which I can't get for a few weeks (but I ordered some). Most of the difference with our models is that he's painted his, which I won't be doing.

I've made the two sides of the cab. Here's my procedure for glazing the windows :

IMG_6723.JPG

IMG_6724.JPG

IMG_6725.JPG

IMG_6726.JPG

IMG_6727.JPG

IMG_6728.JPG

And the completed sides :

IMG_6748.JPG

IMG_6749.JPG

IMG_6750.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

More plumbing fitted :

IMG_6734.JPG

IMG_6735.JPG

I've also fitted the cab to the boilers and added a temporary support under the front of the boiler while work continues :

IMG_6733.JPG

IMG_6732.JPG

IMG_6731.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

The coal bunker has also been made. I'll fit this to the cab after I've done a bit more detailing to the controls :

IMG_6736.JPG

IMG_6737.JPG

IMG_6738.JPG

IMG_6739.JPG

The ladders and lights :

IMG_6740.JPG

IMG_6741.JPG

IMG_6742.JPG

IMG_6743.JPG

The completed coal bunker :

IMG_6746.JPG

IMG_6745.JPG

IMG_6744.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

comm'in along splendidly Danny :)   very nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Nice neat work Danny - everything fitting together cleanly and accurately.  Seeing the boiler propped up on your bench really gives a good indication of the model’s size.  It is a little larger than I was imagining.  Looking great.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Thanks for the comments guys, and also to all those who "Liked" my posts :) .

I've done all the cab detailing that I'm going to do. A few of these parts will be a bit difficult to see when the cab is completed, but the pics are proof that they are in there :D .

This triple valve is made from brass tubing and styrene rod. The handwheels are laser-cut paper :

IMG_6756.JPG

IMG_6757.JPG

IMG_6758.JPG

IMG_6759.JPG

IMG_6760.JPG

Two scratchbuilt switch panels :

IMG_6761.JPG

IMG_6762.JPG

Now I could fit the sides. The fit was perfect :) :

IMG_6764.JPG

IMG_6763.JPG

IMG_6767.JPG

Some final pics of the cab interior before things get harder to see :

IMG_6769.JPG

IMG_6771.JPG

IMG_6772.JPG

IMG_6773.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

The roof is lined on the inside as well. I pre-formed it before gluing it on. There are 8 air vents in the top section :

IMG_6751.JPG

IMG_6752.JPG

IMG_6753.JPG

IMG_6754.JPG

The coal bunker has now been fitted to the cab, and the cab roof as well. It sounds easy when you say it quickly :D :

IMG_6774.JPG

IMG_6775.JPG

IMG_6776.JPG

Next job will be to fit the entire boiler/cab/coal bunker unit to the chassis.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

It's brilliant Danny.

My card model has arrived now and I can't believe the quality of the kit, especially the laser cut parts.

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

look'in superb Danny........quite a bit of progress since I last looked in!                                                                                                                                                                                                               

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

There was a mistake with the kit much earlier in the build, which means that the cab/boiler/bunker won't go on properly. The section below is 1.5mm too deep (I cut it right ;) ) so I had to remove it using a combination of scalpel and Isocol and fixed the problem :

IMG_6778.JPG

IMG_6779.JPG

It took me a couple of days to fit the sand pipes, all 24 of them. I still need to do the very bottoms of them, which I'll do a bit later in the build :

IMG_6780.JPG

I made up some brackets to anchor the pipes above the wheels and keep them in position :

IMG_6781.JPG

A couple more views of the pipes :

IMG_6782.JPG

IMG_6783.JPG

The last major sub-assemblies are the two water tanks alongside the boilers. Here's one of them during assembly of the framework :

IMG_6784.JPG

After skinning the water tanks there came the job of gluing on the rivets - all 1,840 of them. I've had problems with the rivets coming off on the cab and coal bunker due to the clear coat on the kit, but I think I found the solution after a bit of experimenting. Isopropyl Alcohol removes the clear coat without harming the printed finish :) :

IMG_6785.JPG

IMG_6786.JPG

IMG_6787.JPG

Some lifting lugs. I'm going to re-do the four I did earlier on the coal bunker to match these as the others look too thin (0.3mm as compared to 0.5mm wire and a different shade of red as well) :

IMG_6788.JPG

IMG_6789.JPG

One of the tanks sitting in place. More work needs doing to it before I can do the final fitting :

IMG_6790.JPG

IMG_6791.JPG

IMG_6792.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

some very nice work .......even though you found a snaff-fu.  you have the knack for mak'in 'er right ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

OMG! It's RIVET TIME. Unbelievable! At least there's only 1840 of them. The engine is looking fantastic...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

On 12/13/2019 at 4:42 PM, Dan Vadas said:

According to the instructions these two boxes are something to do with a lubricating system (unless it was lost in translation :D )

Locomotives are marvelous things.  There are engineering considerations in almost all the moving parts.  So, things like bearings, bushings, journals, and the like have to either be durable and replaceable, or require considerable lubrication.  Preferably while not stopping, or without needing oil sumps on every single thing, too.

The solution was to install an oil tank and either pressurize the lines with steam, or to use steam to power a pump to keep the oil moving to all the appropriate parts.  It was middling common on US steam locomotives in the 40s & 50s.  Especially the big "western" locomotives.

Every station stop was an opportunity for the crew to "oil around" the loco. Most US engines were swapped out about every 100 miles for added servicing. All the services needed for each loco was a big reason for the rush to dieselize after WW 2.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild