2-6-6-4 "Bulgar" Steam Locomotive by Dan Vadas - Modelik - 1:25 - CARD - FINISHED

Dan Vadas

On 1/4/2020 at 2:24 PM, Moab said:

At least there's only 1840 of them.

There's only 1840 rivets in these two assemblies. There are a LOT more in the boilers, cab, coal bunker etc :D . Around 4,000 in the whole loco.

Thanks for the insights Cap'n Mac and Ken :) .

I've discovered a new way to roll long pipes. I usually use a long piece of tubing to do the whole pipe in one go, but the tubing I have isn't the right inside diameter (missed out by about 0.3mm :( ). So I cut a short piece of the slightly undersize brass tube, cut a slot in it lengthwise to open it up and cleaned it up with a fine diamond-coated file. Then I used a long piece of tubing to support the inside and used the outer one like a clamp to squeeze the card tube together while I glued about 15mm in one go. Once it dried sufficiently I slid the tubing along and repeated the process - it took about 10 minutes to do a 100mm pipe and it turned out perfectly :) :

IMG_6793.JPG

IMG_6794.JPG

The ends of some pipes had bends in them :

IMG_6795.JPG

IMG_6796.JPG

Also flanges :

IMG_6797.JPG

The water piping down the left side of the loco - the right side doesn't have any, instead there is a "balance pipe" between the two tanks that keep the left side one full :

IMG_6798.JPG

I'm guessing this is the water pump ? It needs a little re-aligning which I can do when all the glue has dried :

IMG_6799.JPG

IMG_6800.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

All I can say is that is amazing.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

did you sort out that problem Danny?........plumbing looks good :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Ingenious solution, Danny.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

wonderful work Danny

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

On 1/8/2020 at 9:12 AM, popeye the sailor said:

did you sort out that problem Danny?........plumbing looks good :) 

Yes I did :) . Thanks for the replies guys :) .

Speaking of problems - I found a doozy. A long time ago, when I was building the front bogie, I made this drum-like piece which turns out to be part of the steering mechanism :

IMG_6806.JPG

This is the only diagram of this part - nothing in further diagrams to show how it fits, so at the time I put it aside with the thought it may become more obvious later in the build. Unfortunately it should have been fitted much earlier before I'd fitted the main axles and wheels, as the front axle is supposed to go through the middle of it. How to fix the problem?

I approached the dilemma with the thought in mind of leaving it off altogether if I couldn't work out a solution. There was no way I could easily remove the axle as it was attached to the wheels with CA glue - impossible to remove without causing major damage to already fitted parts. In addition the crank and a few other parts would also have to come off.

I came up with the idea of splitting the drum in half and slipping it over the axle. If the idea didn't work then I'd have had to leave it off, but at least I wouldn't have damaged anything else. The sequence below shows how I did it. First pic is of the axle it had to fit around and the seemingly impossible place it was in :

IMG_6801.JPG

Removing the two hexagonal ends was fairly easy, as I hadn't scraped off the clear coat. A single-edge razor blade did the trick :

IMG_6802.JPG

IMG_6803.JPG

After cleaning everything up the three pieces went on relatively easily :

IMG_6804.JPG

All done :) :

IMG_6805.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Well done. That is an excellent save.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

good you were able to repair the first problem.......and this one too :)  modeling is part assembly and solution solving........things can go batty in the blink of an eye.  instruction are partly to blame.......depending on how poorly they are illustrated.  good solving skills will handle the rest....it's good to see that yours are top notch  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 3 weeks later...

The two "cow-catchers" are the last major things to fit to the loco before it's finished. Here are the pics of them :

IMG_6807.JPG

The bars are all different angles and lengths, so I sorted them out and marked them before gluing them together :

IMG_6808.JPG

IMG_6809.JPG

IMG_6810.JPG

IMG_6811.JPG

IMG_6812.JPG

IMG_6816.JPG

The brake hose fittings :

IMG_6813.JPG

IMG_6814.JPG

IMG_6815.JPG

All the front is now finished. Just a few rivets to re-glue and I can spray it with satin finish clear lacquer :

IMG_6822.JPG

IMG_6817.JPG

IMG_6820.JPG

IMG_6821.JPG

IMG_6823.JPG

IMG_6824.JPG

Now to build the tracks for the base.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

fantastic workmanship

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

awesomely done Danny :)  amazing skill too!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The only thing I can say, Danny is with that last set of photos, I had to remind myself that I'm looking at a model.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Danny; I haven’t had the pleasure of following you for too long. Is this among the most complex model you’ve built...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Hi all, and thanks to all the guys who commented and Liked this build. Now that it's finished I guess I'd better post the final pics - I'd forgotten about them :D :

IMG_6850.JPG

IMG_6849.JPG

IMG_6848.JPG

IMG_6847.JPG

IMG_6846.JPG

IMG_6845.JPG

IMG_6844.JPG

IMG_6843.JPG

IMG_6842.JPG

IMG_6841.JPG

IMG_6840.JPG

IMG_6839.JPG

IMG_6838.JPG

IMG_6837.JPG

IMG_6836.JPG

IMG_6835.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

I've made the rails on which the whole train will be mounted. I used some ballast and "grass" from Woodland Scenics. The rest is two add-on laser cut paper kits from Modelik, very detailed and complete with plates and bolts :

IMG_6825.JPG

IMG_6826.JPG

IMG_6827.JPG

IMG_6828.JPG

IMG_6829.JPG

IMG_6830.JPG

IMG_6831.JPG

IMG_6832.JPG

IMG_6833.JPG

IMG_6834.JPG

IMG_6851.JPG

IMG_6852.JPG

IMG_6853.JPG

IMG_6854.JPG

IMG_6855.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

that is insanely gorgeous!  the train is one thing Dan.......but the tracks! :stunned:  so.......your not totally done........but you can see the light at the end of the tunnel! ;)   :imNotWorthy: :imNotWorthy: :imNotWorthy:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Beautiful job on the roadbed and rails. Superb detailing.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Awesome, magnificent, amazing, stunning, astounding, spectacular, impressive, fantastic, remarkable.....

.... or maybe I should just say - WOW!!!!!

Can't wait to see her on mounted on the rails.

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

At first I thought you slightly misaligned the rivets on the tender.

so I checkedthe internet.

IMG_0883.JPG.9b07f15bf0962f7c9aa87476ae6db688.JPG

Should have known: not Danny's idea, but misaligned by the original builders :)

The model is as impressive as the original.

I  think you could stage the model insuch a way, that it will be difficult to see the differencebetween model and original: Low point of view, nice background.

Jan

• 1 month later...

Hi Danny I really don't know what to say, that hasn't already been said. looking at what you have achieved with such precision with the humble card is inspirational.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 4 weeks later...

What a lovely little build! Have always loved train rolling stock but have not touched any type of trains since my teens, how ever I did put togather an N gauge layout for my father-in-law about 10 years ago. Really enjoyed doing it. Never thought about paper models, so this was an interesting build for or me.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line