Half Hull Planking Project

Don't stress over it.  May I suggest practicing with some scrap wood?  Go to your local craft or home improvement store and buy a sheet of basswood.  Draw the shape of the hull on the basswood and either with a coping saw or an Exacto blade, cut on that line.  It does not need to be perfect as the two pieces will mate together.  You now have two sides of wood to practice on.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 2 months later...

Hello from a new member, My 'teaching assistant' will be the half hull project with the excellent online instructions and commentary. My background in modeling consists of a few solid half hulls--two from kits, one I carved--and radio-controlled airplanes. I thought I'd go after this one hammer and tongs and make the half-hull into a complete ship model. I doubled the keel members and cut out an additional set of ribs from correspondingly thick basswood, the process providing me with a great excuse for buying a scroll saw. Not sure how it will go, but here are a few pics.  

IMG_2468[2433].JPG

IMG_2469[2435].JPG

2 hours ago, Figtrz said:

Hello from a new member, My 'teaching assistant' will be the half hull project with the excellent online instructions and commentary. My background in modeling consists of a few solid half hulls--two from kits, one I carved--and radio-controlled airplanes. I thought I'd go after this one hammer and tongs and make the half-hull into a complete ship model. I doubled the keel members and cut out an additional set of ribs from correspondingly thick basswood, the process providing me with a great excuse for buying a scroll saw. Not sure how it will go, but here are a few pics.  

IMG_2468[2433].JPG

IMG_2469[2435].JPG

Great idea!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2021 at 8:32 AM, Figtrz said:

I'd like to suggest you open a log in the kit area where the other builders of this have logs.   This is more of a "reference" area and in the build log area, you'll get more eyes and thus help if you need it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the 2nd layer planking phase on my first wood model ship. BOY what a challenge!

I just ran across this kit and instructions today and will definitely be purchasing this.

I started to go through some of the posts and would like to offer a suggestion:

Many nautical terms are being used in referencing the various parts of the ship. The kit and instructions are targeted mainly to newcomers of the hobby, so many people will not be familiar with a lot of the terms. As I am going through the steps in my own project, I sometimes have to look up a particular term to know what exactly the instructions are referring to.

I'd like to suggest that, as nautical terms are brought up in the logs/instructions, a short description be included along with a given term.

Thanks!

First build: US Ranger - Corel

Second build: HMS Beagle - OcCre

That is a good suggestion, Capella.  I have been doing this for more years than I want to admit and I am still learning new words!  BTW, welcome to MSW.

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

• 2 weeks later...

Mary, welcome to MSW.  Great to see another woman modeler.  Please introduce yourself to us here: https://modelshipworld.com/forum/3-new-member-introductions/  

Toni

Does this model come usps or ups? Ordered it a couple weeks ago but haven't seen it yet.

Looks good! This log will come in handy.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

USPS.  If hasn't arrived by Monday contact the office and Mary can check the tracking.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

38 minutes ago, kurtvd19 said:

USPS.  If hasn't arrived by Monday contact the office and Mary can check the tracking.

Kurt

Thanks. It's very likely in the mail. We have one of those ^%$#OYUI cluster mailboxes and it's a long walk. I'm not supposed to drive as I've had too many seizures.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

You might have a tracking number with you acknowledgement of order.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Got off my lazy buttocks and low and behold! Thar she blows!

In Dry Dock:

• 1 month later...

Hi Half Hull Planking friends -  This is probably a really dumb question - but here goes anyway.  Can someone please tell me how to cut the planks straight?  I tried holding a metal ruler against the wood but the wood just slipped from beneath it.  Arrgh!  Getting frustrated…..

Hi Mary,

I’ll pass along something someone showed me (thanks Glenn). Get it at Amazon. Best cutting, holding tool I ever had. Works good for planks. Don’t forget to change that #11 blade often and don’t try to make the cut all the way through on one pass.

Shinwa 12" Extruded Aluminum Cutting Rule Ruler Gauge with Non slip rubber Backing 33279

29BA5668-E890-4282-A8A7-E5CAF1CDE28E.jpeg.f050ab2a317cc546529d1a8a18890561.jpeg

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

27 minutes ago, MaryG said:

Hi Half Hull Planking friends -  This is probably a really dumb question - but here goes anyway.  Can someone please tell me how to cut the planks straight?  I tried holding a metal ruler against the wood but the wood just slipped from beneath it.  Arrgh!  Getting frustrated…..

I took some rubber cement and glued some medium sandpaper to one side.

In Dry Dock:

1 hour ago, MaryG said:

Both suggestions are good ones!

Most definitely do not try to cut in one pass!

Lyle

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

A Scratch build -TBD

7 minutes ago, LyleK1 said:

Both suggestions are good ones!

Most definitely do not try to cut in one pass!

As someone else said. The wood is patient.

In Dry Dock:

Cut the wood in multiple passes and fine tune it with sandpaper.  Let's, see some pics of where you are so far.

Toni

Pictures help us help you!

No one should be doing any criticizing your work except to help you out with constructive comments.

No worries!

Lyle

Completed Builds:

In progress:

A Scratch build -TBD

17 minutes ago, MaryG said:

Sorry Dave - called you Lyle for some reason!  Have been following Lyles posts so probably had his name in mind.

No one has ever criticized the terrible work I have done.

In Dry Dock:

On 3/16/2022 at 9:18 AM, MaryG said:

Thanks everyone - I will order the ruler you suggest Lyle - As far as pictures are concerned…  I will try to force myself to take some pictures - but very reluctant in case I am really doing a bad job!  LOL

Please start a build log. You'll likely get more followers and support.

In Dry Dock:

• 1 month later...

Do start a build log, Mary.  All our first efforts are not masterpieces but a learning experience.  No one will laugh or yell at you.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That's my next project. Please do a log so I can learn. You'll get a lot of recommendations and help. You can't possibly do worse than me!

Add a link to the build in you tag line/profile so more people will find it.

In Dry Dock:

• 5 months later...

Kit Build Logs 1750-1800

Toni