Mounting Deadeyes

In the near future I will be starting a build of Revell's 1:96 Cutty Sark.

For some time now I have been planning my general strategy for constructing this beast and so far, the only major X factor for me is the mounting of deadeyes.

As some of you may know, the molded parts in the kit are a single plastic deadeye/ratline combination. In my opinion, the parts in the kit are just hideous, and I want to try going the extra mile with this one, so I decided to take a crack at running my own shrouds and ratlines. My research took me to HisModel.com, and it's selection of aftermarket parts, so of course I got a set of wooden deadeyes along with other parts to start with. I also got a set of photoetched parts that were described as Deadeye Clamps. There weren't any instructions on the HisModel site on how to use these clamps, and I'm honestly stumped as to how I would go about mounting these.

Here's a pic of the parts:

IMG_5136.thumb.jpeg.0a11874a27209f37fc673eaccba25459.jpeg

If anyone can provide any guidance as to how to mount these parts with the deadeyes, it would be greatly appreciated. I have to assume it involves modifying the rail that holds the belaying pins. I have also seen some Cutty Sark builds where the deadeyes were simply fastened with some florist wire twisted around them and mounted by drilling through the belaying pin rails and the points on the deck where the chainplates would be.

Again any help would be appreciated.

For the large ones, slip the dead eye into the metal strop.  Then squeeze the long end together. Some solder that while others wrap it with some thread.  The smaller ones just snap fit in side.  As for modifying the channels, you'll need to file an opening where the deadeye will sit then after fitting, put a long piece plastic to secure the strop/deadeye into place.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Luckily CUTTY SARK is still with us (well, sort of) and looking for photographs that show her channels should give you ideas, how the rigging was done on the real thing. You then can figure out, how to use the parts you have to resemble this arrangement - or to make your own parts to suit.

I don't know, where historic research stand now after her rebuilding following the fire, but the standard modelling guide for her pre-fire appearance probably still is

LONGRIDGE, C.N. (1933): The Cutty Sark.- 440 p., Kings Langley/ Herts. (reprint 1975, Model and Allied Publications).

Apart from being specific on her, the book also describes in detail many modelling techniques that are still applicable today.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

5 hours ago, wefalck said:

Luckily CUTTY SARK is still with us (well, sort of) and looking for photographs that show her channels should give you ideas, how the rigging was done on the real thing. You then can figure out, how to use the parts you have to resemble this arrangement - or to make your own parts to suit.

I don't know, where historic research stand now after her rebuilding following the fire, but the standard modelling guide for her pre-fire appearance probably still is

LONGRIDGE, C.N. (1933): The Cutty Sark.- 440 p., Kings Langley/ Herts. (reprint 1975, Model and Allied Publications).

Apart from being specific on her, the book also describes in detail many modelling techniques that are still applicable today.

One redeaming fact about the Cutty Sark fire...is that all of her rigging, masts and deck furniture and houses and most details had already been removed.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."