Colonial Sloop Providence by KenW - 1:48 - Finished

My next model will be the Continental Sloop Providence.  I became interested in this boat after reading, “Valour Fore & Aft”, by Hope Rider.  Despite being a history of the boat, the book was a great swashbuckling story. I recommend it.

The boat was built by a Rhode Island merchant named John Brown several years before the American Revolution and was named the Katy.  The sloop was converted to a privateer and commanded by three excellent captains, and during its voyages, achieved several ‘firsts’ for the Continental navy.  

The first captain was Abraham Wipple.  The Katy, under the command of Captain Wipple, was the first ship to be chosen by the Continental Congress to perform naval service.  It was the first colonial flagship and fired the first broadside during the Revolutionary War at sea. It also captured the first Brittish naval ship.

In late 1775 the sloop’s name was changed to the Providence.  In 1776, command of the sloop Providence was given to the newly promoted John Paul Jones.  (Later Captain Wipple was given command of a new continental frigate also called the Providence.)  Of the three captains, John Paul Jones succeeded in taking the most Brittish prizes.

In 1777, command was given to John Peck Rathbun who was one of the sloop’s Lieutenants.  Under the command of John Rathbun, Providence was the first Colonial ship to land marines on a foreign soil.  Also, she was the first to fly the Continental colors over foreign territory.  She captured Fort Nassau and held the town until valuable military supplies were removed and several Brittish ships taken as prizes.

The Providence met its end as part of the disasterous Penobscot Expedition in 1779.  She was forced up the Penobscot River in Maine and burnt to prevent its capture by the Brittish.

CWFsOqDRxkMNKmgL3kufQ4O9SyzONFXGo_9CVEHhGpfkm1JIHBF0436UaLlNGOH-jDNqFzYjtVMY3m0Wix9VTbUKAFXryO_eynrnQiLkg4Avoj7l_h0kChHT07l-KGza_RQyh3MN

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

I found the plans in the book to be adequate to build the hull,but I would recommend getting the plans for Model Shipways ARMED VIRGINIA SLOOP for your rigging and sail plan.  :cheers:

Edited by Chuck Seiler
I spelt plans rong.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thanks Chuck.  My first model was of the AVS, so I have the plans, etc. 

I'm sure I'll have some issues as I go along, but that's part of the fun.

Thanks also to Frankie.  Your entry about your experience rigging the replica was an inspiration for me to build this ship.

Cheers.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

In order to build a model of the Providence I needed to acquire a set of plans.  The book, “Valour Fore and Aft”, contains plans of a replica that was built for the American bi-centennial celebrations back in 1976.  The replica was built and used for charter sails from Newport, RI. In 2015, while in dry dock, a winter storm blew the boat off its jackstays.  It took 2 years to repair and restore the damage. In 2017, it was sold to the Tall Ship Providence Foundation and moved to Alexandra, VA. I contacted the foundation and they sent me a set of plans of the restored vessel.  So I’m currently copying them and reducing their scale to 1:48, or ¼ inch equals a foot. My intention is to make a Plank-on-Bulkhead model because that is what my experience is limited to.

H5t2bBlE9dLWt8G23GmRD9Fv4waoMWA6scJGGavjoqtZ4rM2MfWIpz3hUop3uafI6HIsZh7OKKJHtcURDyEuQwvLNFfeibph8-RbxcZl-XtxHcEOByuVnHsJFhNhvWM3gdjgP9ri

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

I started the process by making extra copies of the reduced plans.  The dimension of each bulkhead is located on one plan. So I have to make several copies of that plan and parse out each bulkhead.  I wanted to have as many bulkheads as possible which should make planking easier. Then I matched the size of each bulkhead with the plan showing the boat along its center; this will become the keel former.  Once I was satisfied that the sizes matched, I cut out the keel former and each bulkhead. The first photo shows the paper bulkheads and their plan. The second is the plan of the center and the paper keel former.  Now the next step is to glue each paper part to a sheet of basswood and cut the pieces out. I’m sure there will be some alterations once the pieces are fitted together.

JEwJ8kEXw_SfwQMzveiZmGzaAueLAqJ2pEc3KZmOnOZwE8kBmdfatRlaReJ7ZTi31geCP25n8sQFHCYAjWar3Dlbtf_5QAIktOIzSkxuWXwYuYJedzSok-SLiGDz5FcBwM0VX_mL

1PY_oPbm9i9jsZcSd__7IOe8nt9ZUwPIjb6uKbldszvg34axrWQSjgO_fHhmR3mvBcgaBh_uBfiygJjPmYWJREIEAsiXzGaXW_uEMQw7NXn-X7HOZtH-fkv4GN1MSWn1FjfzXMN0

Edited by KenW

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been busy with chores around the house, but work on the Providence continues.  I wanted to explain, in more detail, the process of creating the paper bulkheads. The plan comes with a view of the hull that is unusual (at least to me).  The left side of the view shows the hull from the stern, and the right side shows the hull from the bow. There are lines on the plan that shows the outline of each bulkhead.  So I made several copies of this plan. Then I cut out each bulkhead half twice, turn one half over and tape them carefully together.  

npXUxbdCr6aVXWnLX1KOygpcTB0Grw1YgOitnZPXGeyVSSktuRMrKqL3cZVXEc5rkDP-Wzmau0FthXbxEkIom8Xyl7HlBojGfMTXw47wX4iaKIBH4ec-Qu3u-QtQNos4WGH-IYYI

I know that the quality of this photo isn’t very good, but the plan is clearer in real life.  Next I glue the paper bulkheads and the paper keel former to a sheet of, in this case, basswood.

3rE_AguPm_170R4qpxBIEnOUeLUYWP9C82uPepHLBen-k1fSMt-K_kKBJg2M7dgCPSVZp2evofcLQWwTex_GRHJPsIF97avhy_2bxCtilkZUL2TMenUQ4gKAtV9M9BFR7naXgmAs

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Hello Ken,

Looks good, and I am glad you are giving a detailed account of the plan-to-paper-to-wood process.

If you have room, I will be watching.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Thanks Bruce.  Plenty of room.

Thanks for the 'likes' as well.

Cheers.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Gary.  Your model of the NE Stonington Dragger will be an inspiration.  Great work.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Work on the model continues and a rather slow pace.  I’ve cut out the bulkheads and keel former. I should point out that I didn’t cut out the notch for the mast at this time.  Also, the bulkheads are over large. The upper portion does not have the space removed down the middle to the deck. I’ll do that once the bulkheads are fitted to the keel former.  I want to see how everything looks before cutting off too much wood. Better to be too big than too small. The pieces look O.K. to me so far.

zB9zCbn4ZhRv7TwdakOk1fLzs9I7z6I3W4KQEdYXR4zIr0eNK0fIdhoS-9bfALQA1KZ6-r_TYyJJDY4OOceIzjppugVCZWtVpLp8q-NP3foAwsAuHRujXsoPipkNG2y3om_vFXJ2

I also fitted the fore-most bulkhead to the keel former and it checks out so far.  I made sure the L.W.L. and deck levels line up. Many more bulkheads to go.

kOnfW9xaVLu9xxZqKoth6dADq6fDuqjxxdBN0mscVLmlCl4T7XD9S9kROuKmx1A1esvR2UYcIIDNA9DLLa_I45Vnqb7MCTOGLX66lYECuFClkF6C2do8blAysFICEvNcQj4VIAls

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

I finished cutting out the bulkheads.  The top parts are left too high; better too big than too small.  I also put lines for the wales that should help later. Not much to say, but next I’ll work on the uppers. 

lf0p4CVGqW0rJw_xwSYLNCuegIRdihAaLivqtA3Q3qi6BIk8l3djRB30QefYkqU6Mbj4Yf9vrWGq3aRrwfkmllE8vUmEFtTKTSXOoqrztx5RZ8FLaxnXfnbsxNUXk8L8Whg1NmJD

O4gdqx3cLbADGXFRximu_CoVaTWSls7jqC9MQI9pRSaA5ud5Ll70rcP3UWl6d1gViZ614XPGrMPNRrFLoaGp9MQ15JGaxMAlzB4PlTC6DG_CzE10iZ1vKbLktEUH4TkEO4lfl-0H

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Ken,

Just read over your build to date...You're right on track!!! This is exactly how I built my 1:48 scale Sloop of War PEACOCK back in 2006-2012 - POB construction, all scratch built. You noted on the photo of the bulkheads in place on the keel that the heights were more than needed. That's exactly what you want so that you remove material that is not needed rather than having to add material, etc.

My build (which was on the old MSW forum and lost to eternity) covered the very same sequence of construction, etc. - keep up the great work, I'll be looking in on this from time to time.

Hank

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Armed Virginia Sloop (1768)
Royal Caroline (1748)
Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) (Scratchbuilt)

USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1967-69 Configuration (Trumpeter 1:200 bashed MISSOURI)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Thanks Hank for reinforcing my thinking.  Lots of modeling pleasure to go.

Thanks also Jeff.  I use a jeweler's saw.  The blade is a Pike Swiss Brand Jeweler's Sawblade 2/0.  I found them on Amazon.

I know I've edited this a couple of times.  Thanks for your patience.

And thanks Ryland for the 'like'.

Edited by KenW

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

While I was preparing to start gluing the bulkheads on to the frame, I noticed that, on the plans, there is a ladder going from the deck down below.  I felt that the ladder should be shown on the model. Therefore, I had to make some adjustments to the appropriate bulkheads and add a lower ‘deck’. The deck is only partial, but it will be visible if you look down the hatch.  Also, the ladder is rignt next to the mast so I added wooden mast steps. I also carved some barrels, which I haven’t decided if I’ll use or not.  

3EurdRYlF_lBsrxwC1GwMbvTX_UR6YsqMhSEo67QiuJMKx00a67R8vBT4hC_bWFHQpwj2pF0Kzw1tkh2S99U1Wo12jQXWBz-vwMrIIsQ2DCWEP_felR65j5uprxkiQciymSI6jFS

K9rEw8KOgFJtQInlShvBzjEXg5Ke3gkEXpVGX_OkfXgDPxG0ENOesef4qflgfNsyPpIwjUje6BUzwchWv7JpX_mf3LxyblFYjeLdRtY8E2j-j5vrTHR3LKe3qmeE2IDwqP5rlfB2

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

I completed the ‘below deck’ planking and threw in some furniture just for fun.  I don’t know if anyone will be able to see the furniture once the hull is planked and the stair/ladder is added.  But, I’ll know it’s there and I know how to look and see it. There is another stairway from the quarter deck down to where the officer’s quarters are, so I added some doors to those ‘rooms’.  I attach some photos. Next up is the create stern framing and then I’ll be able to begin fairing the hull.

BTJFLP8gLuQDtEIbIyv5SSRTMs4zHBkrK1W8Lwv-0eckAok3oDdFHyHxAGIt41JRQn6WPgbw_hJOCs0_m_a5jUAp_NTTqZcdGbCXfGYqKObM1U0xt-XMFgGzeOfBpA_l5eL1wcLr

PK9O5zbxHvs5XbenlDx__x_rEx3Z_kLsZI8VyMHJ_XKCXVE4Yq8WsvwXYRa77zzDzETJ5_w8BSFQtskrYfmuIDWpwPkvjYckMgNYBYJoJ67rhKH3zlKLza2Rw1UKeo8gKIxbVjl4

tbHWHV0N_6vjKuD9uzi9zby4l20KaHf45tU5FD68BziudPhgDvnlhPOzh76wldK8mrauGt5uAR-zaV_aFvsPB4ENY6CO1xr5j9i05o0Qj1-JMyqoEfpyjk9cmlBY9rZ-6LSUT0El

Edited by KenW

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year!

Even during the holidays, I managed to sneak some time in the shipyard.  I laid out the stern framing using some leftover cherry and balsa filler.  I probably will need more sanding, but I’ll do that as part of the fairing of the hull.  I still have lots of sanding dust to make.

RcxfQNR2IsKgt2NbQy0I8kxyQlcSdNHCcsWIrPd5QrFygLuyAZtqtyM8WAKHmMrLqDkAgX2Jrttr4Vq87erjhVJ2ChJgGy012lJPxpofA0tdSayEcMD9PILFn6g9puLlNcLrB1BU

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

I’ve ‘completed’ the fairing of the hull.  And I added battens to determine the location of the wales.  The wales will be between the two battens. I discovered that I wasn’t as careful with the placement of the bulkheads, so I have to do more sanding to fix everything.  I’m in the process of determining the location of the gun ports. It’s a slow process. Eventually, everything will have to line up perfectly.

5MNSX4Gjal2sUXXdysx7V1R4eF-NO4VRYGlge3oK64-KcSUXRp9cpczTGCxtERXR_ccbfv8cKeeSEknz4xXjx3ktddodRyb0rHAFkXSbH7J5wtKzpzVEcXwyWfZ5gPI4ev3xT5bq

baLnbZ21gG64j2eR_CZqtzUzJcMScHFtdrA4vwSKp2iIDAH-aRa-EYoYbp5ZsU7mcWbQz19T14YzpteSKBXz5i0Mo44BWugAgQxSJMLADA2_WjzcLCBkh4K352ZLu7e24clM53OV

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Frankie.  That is great! 

I bookmarked the site, but is there a way to print it?

Thanks again.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Ken,

I took a peek and if you right click on the page and you should see "print" as one of the options.  The pages are also zoomable which is a bit different.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On my computer you  can highlight the upper left side of the screen and click on the "download" symbol. Then you have a PDF file of the entire magazine and can do what you wish with each page. I am adding it to my Providence research folder for when I am able to start on my build/interpretation again. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks Mark. 

Thanks also to Lou - I download the whole magazine. 

Cheers.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

The placement of the batons marking the location of the wales had to be redone.  I took the model to our club’s monthly workshop, and the batons at the bow were determined to be too high.  I also redid the ‘working platform’ so that the keel was flat on the base making measuring easier. I redid the baton marking the bottom of the wales and it does look closer to the plans.  I’m told that I could make the ‘point’ at the bow even a little lower (maybe 1/16 of an inch).

QDS0Hu7h8jHBQwKq5msnyQOzhJ8vI3MqRbGGWNmT0snegvzf3FGw_zUS3f1SE8svoZKF9XU5jffAHo_iqUuHkAwj-hTM6Oln1qOpKrJHy87c7_hWPcXI22cOzMm-JAviUFv0fGxJ

X6k3EO-qHDp5TIJy7j8di0e_LqIVM3R7YNtWi9rdMXtkXxH5eEU9um1RWvKMKNOfaagCyfjDUZxlN1l3F1OOP3XoUS4EHkv0mTJCoGzGbiruQcf6bgqXyVwXWxReXGFTb45OLn8y  6PLL0iMDdeEt0DMMe0bLIuUuhQfgu9-RT9ezjMv2_OENn-r1e36dFqO8rWpaSGk8ZJ-tmgmqZ-T33_OywSKQKolkBij83-kpJZHNYVGdRt7pbQzRozSkX-UKMObi6AidPzQ6Amc2

Next I have to determine the exact location of the deck so I can establish the position of the gun port sills.  These tasks are taking a lot of time, but I feel it will be extremely important as the building of the model progresses.

Edited by KenW

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

It has been taking me quite awhile to get the batons marking the bottom of the wales and the top of the gun port sills.  I’m trying to match the plans and it seems like I get what I think is right and the next day it’s off. So I decided that I won’t install the port sills until I can get the batons to be placed correctly for two days in a row.  At this point, my bulkheads look like a pin cushion.

gKhN9BmRdsp8G5X7uhYl9gjAOe6EJIOtny67rvUt6dyPbeSGAS08ktgbkzpY10rYWz-JGacqIsm5xViupqZQOQBDNZ9-RSOPxeod7kVeXZWqcCCTXJoUp78xvb3c0HYpa_lkkKPF

ks8sjSDZeauEMqB9HpT_lmv31RNv_c3uHRkepEXYBeT5L20fvX1TaC_bz0_nJjQVEv4mZHyNmP21Z2pThz3XooREWrT35-JUkWGRBhjdxXmjnv4i9QnI9hreQelyvWbU-V8HDkQU

Finally, I got the measurements correct over two days.  So I began framing the gun ports. They should be square and have good corners.  Also, they should be placed equdistant apart. I think I’m good. Next up is to mix some red paint that comes close to matching the color on the replica.

5mSBLOxcsbiSM0Yas090EZ-F-Be2OIuaGN6RVGXYEI0YLiddvfo282uok4FWLgkQ7Q91iaZmhzYbXL0ysYpZpfL-7-m11tRnEqgrZ-6ygVYCaFaoeuKdfG9r8Tb_AxJWMmbjD845

BOS8w_aQKxOsW8wpCaTwJQpzLCPpsACNWb16tlbYlchET712Os2ZW2v4LsBrBSvtQkqdXDHw_klbOWPQZnB8r5NRL05JvTf1JcI2G2c97NMB5NYySTqGvUO7eAYTc8cjaLA4J9SL

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

On 2/7/2020 at 10:24 PM, KenW said:

and it seems like I get what I think is right and the next day it’s off.

I know what you mean Ken.  I don't know how many times I've been satisfied with my work one day, and the next day . . .  not so much.

I think you're wise in taking the time to get the batten locations and gun ports placed just so as it defines everything afterward.   Your model is looking straight and true and progressing very nicely.  I'm looking forward to future updates.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Thanks Gary.  Coming from you, that is a complement indeed.

Cheers.

Edited by KenW

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

After posting my last entry, I glued the first level of the wales onto the hull.  And then I noticed that the gun ports were ⅛ inch higher on the starboard side than on the port side.  So I removed both the wales and the gun ports. And then I went back to the measuring routine. I finally got the same results two days in a row and carefully added a batten marking the location of the top of the wales and then re-did the gun ports.  Once I was satisfied with that, I painted the ports and re-glued the first level of the wales onto the hull again.  In the photos, the wales are not sanded yet.

vnL1Uhb6eSC0Hi60iGej3jVd5iAOLJIW6CChbxoMbw7o0P2aabePVPql-CTXacCNXpGt6RKSRw8Eu4-YSLvzFb16883wkZwIBO9HhIKIsR902DBRC2bYwQuYW8ya10s2o_plmhBr 

Co9h3bYqg9ItEo9RIxVeSaGAn2-XBdmPmoQYoKUMAUQSVEK-o2CfsEmDRQLiuNwPyoxIGdQgjnQRVOO8FDQhObWIWef8zo0aGpPYKnDHbUiCHHCb_HpFM_3-OIdaRnX_oC6YKeYI

Edited by KenW

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

The wales have been sanded and the gun port measurements verified.  So I painted several coats of a red paint that I created to the gun ports and painted the wales with several coats of Mars Black.  I sanded between each coat with 320 grit sandpaper and with 600 grit before the last coat. I think it looks good so I’m ready to start planking the hull above the wales.

oqfX7iZLmojopYJyFyBSjtsKsBwyfiI3dW--GT1KItwYrKxXjpOZQUyNk39txPndtQtfG5k1sRS79V8LrjxLRcYjt4r73yv81kBjbWxkzBWw1fAPm4DLIapiKKbHk3eIEf9EHspH

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild