Bluenose by Retired guy - Model Shipways - scale 1:64

I am new here and waiting for my first kit to arrive so I can begin. Following this Build thread Is intimidating to say the least, but gives something to aspire to.

Absolutely stunning craftsmanship! Just beautiful!

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)

2 hours ago, pwog said:

I am new here and waiting for my first kit to arrive so I can begin. Following this Build thread Is intimidating to say the least, but gives something to aspire to.

Pwog, 

First of all even though this is in the wrong section I would to extend a warm :sign:.
It would be helpful for all of us if you would like to provide us with your first name.
Now as for this Bluenose, yes you are absolutely right. This is a stunning job!
But don't get intimidated, some of us don't have the tools to create this Bluenose.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

12 hours ago, Retired guy said:

still thinking of maybe doing a bit of weathering 

Well I would be very interested in seeing what you could come up with by using some weathering effects. I really want to try my hand at weathering have it in mind to do the Terror that way.  Cheers ~

7 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Pwog, 

First of all even though this is in the wrong section I would to extend a warm :sign:.
It would be helpful for all of us if you would like to provide us with your first name.
But don't get intimidated, some of us don't have the tools to create this Bluenose.

Hi Per,

yes of course, my name is Paul

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2020 at 2:35 PM, Nirvana said:

Richard, 
I just got back to my Bluenose, and I have to say.... the detailing of yours is outstanding, 

and I know I won't even close to yours when mine is done.
However, you are an inspiration to all of us. There is always something to learn from others.

Thank you

Hi Per thanks for looking in and commenting on my build, I do love to highly detail my models and it has taken a few years to get to this stage, and I do agree with you regarding learning from others, have learnt from many 👍

On 8/9/2020 at 6:31 PM, pwog said:

Welcome to MSW Paul, look around the site and you will see a lot of amazing builds going on and please do not be intimidated by what I or others make, as I said to Per I love to figure out and make detailed pieces.

And thanks very much for your kind comment.

On 8/9/2020 at 9:07 PM, Nirvana said:

Pwog, 

Totally agree you have to have tools to make parts as I do, but also have the knowledge to work the tools and this comes by practice, practice and more practice and a lot of patience 

On 8/10/2020 at 2:59 AM, NovaStorm said:

Well I would be very interested in seeing what you could come up with by using some weathering effects. I really want to try my hand at weathering have it in mind to do the Terror that way.  Cheers ~

Weathering does bring out the model and have done it on plastic models but have not seen any done on wooden ships 🤔 so will have to experiment on some old parts which I have made before trying on the Bluenose.

This is what I did to my 1:24  scratch built Jeep, was worried that I put to much weathering on it but I think it came out not to bad.

AEwsoS.jpg 

gsHPmX.jpg

X3ajKR.jpg

Regards

Richard

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 11:02 PM, Retired guy said:

This is what I did to my 1:24  scratch built Jeep, was worried that I put to much weathering on it but I think it came out not to bad.

Richard;-

Pity you spoilt the illusion. If you had given me a set of keys I would have tried to drive it away.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

On 8/20/2020 at 11:02 PM, Retired guy said:

Weathering does bring out the model and have done it on plastic models but have not seen any done on wooden ships 🤔 so will have to experiment on some old parts which I have made before trying on the Bluenose.

Richard

Gary is the master of ship weathering

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

WOW!  nice work on the windlass Richard :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

18 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Richard;-

Pity you spoilt the illusion. If you had given me a set of keys I would have tried to drive it away.

Should have said semi scratch build but it was a lot of fun building it thanks Keith

18 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Richard

Gary is the master of ship weathering

Thanks for pointing me to Gary's build you were right when you say master of the ship weathering, I think master of building too 

8 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

WOW!  nice work on the windlass Richard :) 

Thanks very much  it's coming along slowly

Regards

Richard

Hello Richard,

I’ve been reading your build log from the beginning off and on over the past few days and have just now caught up.  To simply say that I’m impressed with your skill and craftsmanship would be a gross understatement.  Your work is superb.  The detailed upgrades and replacements you’ve made put the kit supplied parts to shame.  I particularly like the windlass, gears, pawl and other mechanics.  Great stuff.  I’ll be watching for future updates.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 8:12 PM, FriedClams said:

Hello Richard,

I’ve been reading your build log from the beginning off and on over the past few days and have just now caught up.  To simply say that I’m impressed with your skill and craftsmanship would be a gross understatement.  Your work is superb.  The detailed upgrades and replacements you’ve made put the kit supplied parts to shame.  I particularly like the windlass, gears, pawl and other mechanics.  Great stuff.  I’ll be watching for future updates.

Gary

Hi Gary thanks very much for taking your time to look at my build and your very nice comment, feel the same regarding your build as I have said do like to make small details, and have another update soon :D

Regards

Richard

Last update I stated that up next was going to be making the Ratchet Quadrants and associated parts which go along with them, so it has taken me awhile to figure out how I was going to make them, so went back to the drawing from LB Jenson and also looked at a picture on the web of a Ratchet Quadrant and this is my take on these.

Picture from LB Jenson book (this is to help with my build if not allowed please delete)

XCj6vf.jpg

With the gears I had made they were .046" wide so I needed .046" + width for middle part then add .010" for sides which go passed gear teeth. and looking at drawing I assumed they had a ridge in the middle because I see he drew 2 lines, so made body from three pieces of .016 brass sheet, the middle piece I cut out a little bigger to have a ridge, the sides I made from ,010" sheet brass. Once I got the shape I soldered the three pieces of .016" and one of the .010" together then the other .010" side I CA glued so that I could remove later then I made an easy jig so that I could drill holes as per drawing. 

tZJ4eu.jpg 

NxqcgE.jpg

Then made a jig so that I could work out heights

gmFoD8.jpg

mJZDx9.jpg

Made the shackles and did a some clean up and then put back in jig to work out link

bYaK9L.jpg

LmFVCy.jpg

Got the dimension needed then bent and soldered links

vZHvgu.jpg

QVkOb9.jpg

After this I un-glued the one side on both pieces so I could solder a piece of .010" round brass so that it would hold to the gear once I install, forgot to mention the three pieces of .016" I ground away so that the pawl would fit. 

v4iv60.jpg

He1km6.jpg

pK8TFL.jpg

Next was to make the handle shafts, made from brass machined to fit square rocker then filed to round for the shaft, mounted rocker with some small bolts then made the handle parts.

ulGqsD.jpg

XKJSsL.jpg

h7ru8d.jpg

Reworked the jig so that I could solder the handle parts to the shaft

SCxUCT.jpg

And it came out just as I had planed

ENQ1gi.jpg

Made the small pawls and then Casey Blacken all parts

Ir5S1F.jpg

Last pic off the whole Windlass still need to make the u-bolt pins

6GkfRR.jpg

Kit supplied parts

YjoI2B.jpg

Next up to make some pump parts, will be looking at Gary's (FriedClams) blog did see he has made some of these 🤔

K8e2m8.jpg

Thanks again to all who comments and all who hit the likes do apricate it 👍

Until next time

Regards

Richard 

Never seen such a complicated pawl mechanism Richard - but beautifully executed. Kit parts look awesome (i don't think)!!!!!!!!

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

On 10/13/2020 at 5:41 AM, KeithAug said:

Never seen such a complicated pawl mechanism Richard - but beautifully executed. Kit parts look awesome (i don't think)!!!!!!!!

Yes they are complicated not sure why, all they were used for was "if the engine did not work" 

Now I wonder if I should paint all pieces as I see in Pictures 

Regards

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Looked at Gary's (FriedClams) Bilge pump on his 1920 New England Stonington Dragger and he built a Edson Model #2 so looking at the drawing of Bluenose supplied it did not look the same so I have gone with the drawing.

SAVguj.jpg

Made some rough sketches 

GalLuY.jpg

Machined the body first out of 5/16" brass bar here it is just taken it off the lathe

Zedrqg.jpg

Machined the top brackets

Xv80Es.jpg

Once all that was done, cut the part were the water would flow out and ground sides so that I could solder a piece of bent brass to the body, also machined the bottom tabs for mounting pump

IqV6nw.jpg

Then parted off then press fitted it upside down onto a piece of wood and machined the excess metal between tabs also drilled the holes in tabs for mounting.

IR5SRM.jpg

Then made the mount plate with a small piece tube for easy of gluing to deck

wU23hC.jpg 

Blacken the mount plates and made them so they would be parallel and flat because the deck has a curve, did carve out a step so they would sit right 

lAFyuP.jpg  

Next was to make the plunger this was .135" dia 

7TkKfW.jpg 

cQc2Jt.jpg

Next was to make the links, I took a piece of 1/16" tube machined the sides to get .049" then soldered this to a piece of brass same width, but I did notch it with the angle as per drawing

OqkWqe.jpg

After some cutting drilling and clean up got the links looking as per the drawing supplied then made the handle started with the width of the tube hole then filed to shape, got to do the second one, blacken the two pumps at this time

ovs9M4.jpg 

Got them just sitting there not mounted but they turned out ok

sjV7nG.jpg

geEACw.jpg

Thanks to everyone who made a comment and all who looked in and and left a like do apricate.

Regards

Richard

Edited by Retired guy

:imNotWorthy:

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Wonderful work on the pumps Richard!  Simply superb sub-miniature machine work.  So realistic and crisp - love it!

Gary  

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

very nice metal work :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks very much Dave, Robin, Eamonn, Michael, Gary and Denis for your very kind comments, I think these parts were the last items of metal work to be made did just finish the last handle, will need to blacken them.

23PbkI.jpg

Now have to the finish the painting of cove , adding ship name, scroll work on the hull, look for all the small stuff like eye bolts and rings etc etc that I have not added yet then will start to paint some of the items in my parts box, then I can start to assemble.

mPeJXM.jpg

Also thanks for all the likes until next time

Regards

Richard

Richard - pumps very nicely made, excellent machining of such small parts.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures