Bluenose by Retired guy - Model Shipways - scale 1:64

On 11/1/2020 at 1:12 PM, KeithAug said:

Richard - pumps very nicely made, excellent machining of such small parts.

20 hours ago, jwvolz said:

Very, very nice Richard.

Thanks a lot Keith and Joe I've had a blast making all these parts made most as per the scaled drawings provided with the kit.

Regards

Richard

• 1 month later...

How are you doing Richard. I hope your distractions from model making are all pleasant ones?

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 12:18 PM, KeithAug said:

How are you doing Richard. I hope your distractions from model making are all pleasant ones?

On 12/14/2020 at 12:22 PM, NovaStorm said:

Yes hope all is good with you and yours Richard. Have a great Christmas :) 

Thanks for dropping by Keith and Robin have had a few distraction, remaking, but all is good and do hope you had a good as can be Christmas, in the next few days will catch up on all of your builds :) 

Regards

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been away from MSW for a few months and have recently returned.Your progress is a delight to behold and a serious inspiration. Your log has prompted me in a number of ways - I’m chewing through a number of machinist’s tomes and I can say, i have a tiny lathe now and have even soldered in the last few weeks. (Nothing to show for it on the modeling front yet - the current project is more about learning planking.)  In any case, thanks for sharing your beautiful work and happy New Year!

• 1 month later...

Hi Eric, bit late with the reply but thanks for looking in and your kind comment do apricate it.

So have done a little more to her but not so much in making but redoing, it started with the lower chain plates, which I had made from the brass strips .016" thick supplied with the kit found this out once I removed them, thought I had used some .010" brass sheet.

C0CPAL.jpg

2OHyKi.jpg

So now I remade them out of .005" solder small tube to the ends then made a jig to drill the mounting holes and now have the lower chain plates more to scale.

KYSwLF.jpg

8F7gxv.jpg

EuXPxv.jpg

BFVYpA.jpg

Then was not to happy with the black paint job so sanded that down and as per Robin letting me know that I had not painted the sides right I masked the hull up to include black up the sides of the main rail and Monkey rail, board and buffalo rail.

LCcM5O.jpg

tCkkdz.jpg

Put some semi gloss on

LUDGuw.jpg 

Next up was to remake the eye bolts for the deadeye strops which I had made from wire and did not look to good, tried by making out of thicker wire and then soldering a small tube to the ends, but this did not work to well when I went to bend them to go around deadeye 🤔

So decided to use .016" brass flat bar worked out where I needed the holes, drill them first then filed to shape then bent to shape, came out way better than my first try.

81qeWR.jpg

AjnOay.jpg

a79wrq.jpg

Casey blacked all parts and will use a small bolt and nut 

nnMreQ.jpg

n1hVCQ.jpg

Well not much to show these past few months have to figure what I am going to do with the scroll around the hawse holes then paint the cove, then the name plates.

Thanks again for all who have looked in and commenting on my on going build.

Regards

Richard 

Looks great Richard!! 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Thanks Mark, Wally, Joe and Dave for your kind remarks and all for the likes.

Dave the clamp was not made by me, but by Eclipse N0 10, made in Sheffield England. got quite a few tools from my Gran who was a jeweller 

VUFYjt.jpg

ko9yuJ.jpg

Also have this hand clamp as well from her use both of these a lot

sjM7by.jpg

Regards

Richard

Edited by Retired guy

Nice to see you back with an update on your Bluenose Richard.  Great work on the chainplates, eyebolts and such.  Really like those clamps too.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Richard, beautiful work with the chainplates .... and more.
Make me considering going back to the drawing (build) board and re-do mine.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why you started with a kit Richard. You seem to reject and remake most of the detailed stuff - excellent as usual.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

On 2/25/2021 at 7:58 PM, FriedClams said:

Nice to see you back with an update on your Bluenose Richard.  Great work on the chainplates, eyebolts and such.  Really like those clamps too.

Gary

On 2/25/2021 at 7:58 PM, FriedClams said:

Gary

Thanks Gary it was a small update but time consuming but I do like how they came out just way better than my first attempt, see right of picture

fjJShY.jpg 

Yea the clamps work great for handling small stuff got many of her small tools which again use a lot

PL4lp1.jpg

On 2/25/2021 at 8:48 PM, Nirvana said:

Richard, beautiful work with the chainplates .... and more.
Make me considering going back to the drawing (build) board and re-do mine.

Thanks Per as you see from the pic above the re-do was needed, you should try it, was a lot of fun but it was also a lot of filing 

On 3/11/2021 at 1:35 PM, KeithAug said:

Not sure why you started with a kit Richard. You seem to reject and remake most of the detailed stuff - excellent as usual.

Hi Keith thanks for your kind comment, I have been told this before on other sites, and I am not quite sure why! did follow the instruction in the manual, used the supplied brass flat bar and then miss interpreted how the chain plate should look, and then I look at a lot of pictures, so it needed to get reworked will look like the picture now

lpeH2R.jpg

Thanks again for all the comments and also for all the likes

Regards

Richard

Edited by Retired guy

Fine work as always, Richard. I just posted yesterday on my windlass and still have to fashion the bilge pumps. Then it's on to the chain plates. I'll be sure to check your previous posts as I proceed.

By the way, what type of solder are you using?

Dave

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

2 hours ago, CPDDET said:

Fine work as always, Richard. I just posted yesterday on my windlass and still have to fashion the bilge pumps. Then it's on to the chain plates. I'll be sure to check your previous posts as I proceed.

By the way, what type of solder are you using?

Dave

Thanks Dave the solder I use is this one

JFJkGN.jpg 

Regards

Richard

• 11 months later...

Getting close to a year without a post 🤔 where does time go 🙄

A while ago I started making some parts inside the main cabin, used the information from LB Jensons book but they are not from the Bluenose, they are based on photographs of the Schooner Caroline Rose.

bi2Wuu.jpg

On3CN1.jpg

Just wondering if the inside would be painted white 

Regards

Richard

Richard, it's very nice to see your update photos. Beautiful as usual! 🙂

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Thanks for your comments Wally and Dave, these are the drawings from LB Jenson book the Bluenose 11 (these are to help with my build if not allowed please delete)

He shows a drawing of the Bluenose which I have used for stove and chimney and the other two show the inside of the Schooner Caroline Rose.

OwPrCw.jpg

KIWUrC.jpg

ulgR0i.jpg

This is part of the Captain cabin

YClH68.jpg

This is where I am now and will paint it white inside.

5t7AHq.jpg

ekzQVo.jpg

Will be adding some curtains where their beds go

Also got the cove painted and also the bowsprit painted and installed 

JPAVrw.jpg

nzcGYk.jpg

MpwQQ4.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

So good to see you posting again Richard, sometimes it's good to take a break.  Nice progress and such clean work on the cabin.  I especially like the curved wall and moldings.  Nice work area too!

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 8:34 AM, FriedClams said:

So good to see you posting again Richard, sometimes it's good to take a break.  Nice progress and such clean work on the cabin.  I especially like the curved wall and moldings.  Nice work area too!

Gary

Thanks Gary was playing about with a 1/32 scale Lancaster changing the cockpit area but still doing small parts to the Bluenose.

Regards

Richard

I was wondering how I would do the scroll around the hawse pipe, I tried to carve the scroll but the kit supplied wood is no good for this so thought about  painting it but trying to make both the same 🤔

So came up with making the scroll from .018" brass rod, using a pattern from LB Jensons book, in the book it does say ( these were drawn free hand cutting in with a chisel and painting with gold leaf) and also says scrolls done in summer seemed to have more knobs than those done in winter, being in flower, so to speak.

This is the start of the two scrolls as you can see there were some very small parts to solder together.

3tM8TU.jpg

03kNTA.jpg

One completed and then I filed it down

Mp3qIM.jpg

E4tdNr.jpg

These are the tools I used.

CoPX8e.jpg

Now got to finish the second one and then paint yellow same as cove.

Thanks again to all who comment and for all the likes do apricate.

Regards

Richard 

Richard, those decorations are amazing.

I am going to try the same, thank you.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Wow, cool work on the scroll decorations.  I had something similar on the trail boards of my America build and the thought never even crossed my mind to try to make it out of brass rod as you did.  And nice work on the captain's cabin.  Looks like you have a nice large, comfortable work area.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry