Bluenose by Retired guy - Model Shipways - scale 1:64

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 6:34 PM, Nirvana said:

Richard, those decorations are amazing.

I am going to try the same, thank you.

Hi Per thanks for your kind comment its quite tricky to make but just take your time.

On 3/31/2022 at 6:35 PM, jwvolz said:

That's fantastic Richard. 

Thanks Joe she's coming along slowly

On 3/31/2022 at 7:53 PM, gsdpic said:

Wow, cool work on the scroll decorations.  I had something similar on the trail boards of my America build and the thought never even crossed my mind to try to make it out of brass rod as you did.  And nice work on the captain's cabin.  Looks like you have a nice large, comfortable work area.

Thanks for looking in Gary took awhile to think how I was going to do the scroll, but it has turned out how I envisioned,  Captains cabin is coming along just not sure if this was how it was in the Bluenose.

Regarding the work area, it is very comfortable work area, started with this

X213WI.jpg

Then made all tables

WQ3DM6.jpg

On 4/1/2022 at 4:21 AM, CPDDET said:

Nice way to "think outside the box", Richard. The scrolls came out beautiful!

Hi Dave thanks for your kind comment

On 4/1/2022 at 6:34 AM, bhermann said:

That is a really nice treatment for the scrollwork, much nicer than the free hand drawing I did!

Bob

Thanks Bob they have turned out how I wanted them to look

On 4/1/2022 at 8:30 PM, FriedClams said:

Oh, I do like that brass wire scroll work Richard - very nice.

Gary

Hi Gary thanks for looking in, do like thinking how to make, then making/soldering small items 

Thanks to everyone for you comment do apricate it very much and also for all the likes

Regards

Richard

Richard, do I love your build, omg. Clean, that defines it. Best Bluenose build I've seen.

I started my Bluenose today, got them keel pieces off the sheet, checked with the plans, and... They don't match up. Some of the bulkhead slots are offset. The keel pieces actually don't even match up with eachother, the back piece doesn't fit properly with the middle piece, the fit is loose and the back piece is wider. Did you have these same issues? If so, how did you fix them? Did you manage to get the keel perfect to the plans?

Anyways, I'll be definetely following your build along, and checking it every once in a while as reference for mine. Keep it up!

Cheers from Brazil.

14 hours ago, Arthur Goulart said:

Richard, do I love your build, omg. Clean, that defines it. Best Bluenose build I've seen.

I started my Bluenose today, got them keel pieces off the sheet, checked with the plans, and... They don't match up. Some of the bulkhead slots are offset. The keel pieces actually don't even match up with eachother, the back piece doesn't fit properly with the middle piece, the fit is loose and the back piece is wider. Did you have these same issues? If so, how did you fix them? Did you manage to get the keel perfect to the plans?

Anyways, I'll be definetely following your build along, and checking it every once in a while as reference for mine. Keep it up!

Cheers from Brazil.

Hi Arthur thanks very much for your kind comment hope what I have posted helps all Modelshipways Bluenose 

Regarding the keel pieces they do not fit one another and it is the middle piece, lay the keel pieces on the drawing and line up the top if you have to adjust the keyways between all pieces do so then you will be adding some wood to the bottom of the middle keel piece.

From the picture you will see how much was added and also the left keyway you can see I added little stipes as well

X4cuiz.jpg

Hope that helps.

Regards

Richard

On 4/15/2022 at 4:40 PM, Retired guy said:

Hi Arthur thanks very much for your kind comment hope what I have posted helps all Modelshipways Bluenose 

Regarding the keel pieces they do not fit one another and it is the middle piece, lay the keel pieces on the drawing and line up the top if you have to adjust the keyways between all pieces do so then you will be adding some wood to the bottom of the middle keel piece.

From the picture you will see how much was added and also the left keyway you can see I added little stipes as well

Hope that helps.

Regards

Richard

It definetely helps, Richard, thank you!

Yeah... I think I'll have to adjust most of the keyways. On all three pieces one of the keyways aligns up perfectly, another one or two are similar enough to the plans - I think I can get away with just widening those a little -, and the rest of them diverge quite significantly. Also, like the middle piece, the forward one is thinner than it should be. Maybe I'm too picky, i don't know. I expected these laser cut parts to be more precise. If some error was inevitable, they could, at least, have thrown it to the overdimensioned side. Easier to remove material than to add.

By the way, happy easter, Richard!!

Edited by Arthur Goulart

• 3 months later...
On 8/9/2022 at 5:47 PM, jhaactofbield said:

You are bringing a fresh and inspiring take on an already beautiful vessel. 
I hope to achieve the level of confidence and skill you display! 
Bravo!

Thanks for kind comment and looking in on my build and as you say it is a beautiful vessel.

Regarding achieving the level of confidence and skill it just takes practice, practice and more practice and lots of patience.

Regards

Richard

Wow! What a shop!!

Jonathan

Current Build: Zulu - Lady Isabella

Completed Builds: Lowell GB Dory, Norwegian Pram, Lowell GB Dory Redux, Bounty Launch, Nisha, Lady Eleanor - Fifie
On the Shelf: Ranger, Erycina, HMS Alert, etc, etc.
Hibernating: Gunboat Philadelphia, Bluenose
In a Time Vault Due to Open in 2025: Syren

@Retired guy That's no mere workshop... That's a ship modelers laboratory. Just a little envious over here 😅

The Bluenose is looking really good.

On 8/17/2022 at 4:39 AM, wool132 said:

Wow! What a shop!!

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan its what I wanted in retirement :)

On 8/17/2022 at 7:29 AM, Arthur Goulart said:

You love to see it, Retired guy's Bluenose update.

I take it the other ship you're distracted with is the chomky fella there on the background, Mrs. Victory?

Hi Arthur how's the Bluenose coming along, and yes you are correct this is Mrs Victory have had since 2004 but been working on and off for the last couple of years.

6kNafK.jpg

On 8/17/2022 at 7:57 AM, Dave_E said:

The modeling is top notch, but the background is such a distraction. 😆

Thanks for you kind comment and the background gives me great viewing for hockey games 😁

yV00lv.jpg

On 8/17/2022 at 8:42 AM, BenD said:

@Retired guy That's no mere workshop... That's a ship modelers laboratory. Just a little envious over here 😅

The Bluenose is looking really good.

Hi Ben it took me until I was 61 to build the shop how I wanted you saw what I started with.

Thanks for your kind comment regarding the Bluenose its coming along.

a4BhyL.jpg

uCwJFT.jpg

ucC2X4.jpg

WoVDeB.jpg

The lower tables are for my wife, made all mine 40" high it was a lot of fun building the room.

Will need to either buy some rope or make it myself, do have Chucks rope walker but I do see your rope and wow that does look go.

I bought rope from Morope back in 2004 so will look at that first but do want the best when time comes to do rigging on the Bluenose.

Do apricate all the comments and also for all who hit the like button thank you.

Regards

Richard 

Edited by Retired guy

Good to see an update on your Bluenose Richard - really very nice furniture/cabin work.  Love your shop.  With a frig and a cot, there'd be no reason to ever leave.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

On 8/21/2022 at 2:11 PM, Dave_E said:

Ok, I’ll bite. What is the wife going to be doing on 3 lower tables while your ship building on some higher ones? At the same time?

She does cross stitching and embroidery, sometimes paints etc etc she likes to watch the hockey as well.

On 8/28/2022 at 11:58 AM, FriedClams said:

Good to see an update on your Bluenose Richard - really very nice furniture/cabin work.  Love your shop.  With a frig and a cot, there'd be no reason to ever leave.

Gary

Hi Gary just very small updates but hope to have some parts painted and installed in the next update, love the shop as well do use it every day did put a fridge in it so that I could store CA glue, this keeps it from going hard, cot  for the wife 😳😳😂🤣

Regards

Richard

On 8/21/2022 at 5:42 PM, Retired guy said:

Hi Arthur how's the Bluenose coming along, and yes you are correct this is Mrs Victory have had since 2004 but been working on and off for the last couple of years.

Too slowly, Richard 😆. I'm really struggling to find the time to work on her, but so far, I'm happy with how it's coming along. I'm modifying the the kit pieces so they are more accurate to plans, and I'm improving on its construction method, for instance, I'm making the keel/stem as separate pieces, to be fitted down the line, once the planking is already finished. I'll be posting it all on my thread, but none of it is yet finished, so...

On 8/30/2022 at 7:03 PM, Arthur Goulart said:

Too slowly, Richard 😆. I'm really struggling to find the time to work on her, but so far, I'm happy with how it's coming along. I'm modifying the the kit pieces so they are more accurate to plans, and I'm improving on its construction method, for instance, I'm making the keel/stem as separate pieces, to be fitted down the line, once the planking is already finished. I'll be posting it all on my thread, but none of it is yet finished, so...

Will look forward to seeing your progress 👍

Regards

Richard

• 1 year later...

Been working on the Victory and kept looking over at the Bluenose and felt it was well due for an update, 1y 2m since last one 🤔

So thought I would start with getting the name and scroll work on a black board, used Clover House dry transfers, Railroad Roman Condensed Bold - yellow which I think was the closest to the drawing. Scroll work I hand painted, do think I should have left a bit more space between letters or letters could have been smaller. 

ICnGMg.jpg

wMW0Z2.jpg

H2xbwt.jpg

Now the stern name plate was white, did try dry transfers but failed miserably, so started to make a decal, used word to make this but had quite a few rejects.

sokCSb.jpg

TTzWxE.jpg

Tried Inkjet printing first, printing was fine used Experts Choice white decal film for inkjet, then followed the instructions to cover the decal with Microscale Liquid Decal film then let it dry for a couple of days. 

1jPdRC.jpg

Then went to put decal on the model once I left in water for 45 seconds the ink just peel off the decal leaving more of a white space, so kept trying and could not get it to work (this was the first time making decals) so went on you-tube and one guy was saying you should use a Laser printer, so went and bought a laser printer then had to get white decal film for laser printer.

9Z00Us.jpg

So for me this worked yeah :36:

8BQulk.jpg

B88lZV.jpg

The three white rings to be done later.

To be continued.

Regards

Richard

Edited by Retired guy

To continue on the update I spray painted the Jumbo boom crutch, Riding bitts, Engine box then hand painted the windlass chain/wood welps then proceeded to put it together with quadrants, quadrant links and Rocker, did make a rough little jig to hold parts while I installed shackles.

rARfEg.jpg

QEyyWI.jpg

zdiTlt.jpg

Then using the 1/12 motorbike chain I had mention back when I machined the gears I file the chain down so it looked like the size it should be, after that I sprayed it black.

5jPVgc.jpgbgXGm1.jpg

IYNP7R.jpg

Bought some 1/64 scale fishermen from Vanguard Models which are brilliant here's couple of pic's so that you can see how big these gears were.

4UWlHJ.jpgq1vHdj.jpg

Next was to install the steering linkage to the rudder, the steering box still needs to be painted.

J5AVGf.jpgIesdiw.jpg

last pic added the three circles between name on stern, still need to paint the cabin housing but did spray paint the Liverpool head and Dreadnaught head.

3vLbzM.jpg

eIrkh0.jpg

Until next time.

Regards

Richard

The lovely work continues Richard. I didn't quite understand - are you printing the scroll work on the bow?

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

7 hours ago, KeithAug said:

The lovely work continues Richard. I didn't quite understand - are you printing the scroll work on the bow?

Hi Keith, regarding your question, the scroll on the bow around the hawse pipe will have the scroll I have made out of .018" brass wire, still have to paint them.

The scroll on the name board I painted by hand was thinking of doing them out of brass, I think they tuned out ok.

Regards

Richard

Incredible craftsmanship here! Great modifications to the MS kit! 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

19 hours ago, hamilton said:

Incredible craftsmanship here! Great modifications to the MS kit! 

hamilton

Thanks very much Hamilton have made most things from scratch, use box wood for all the deck furniture, masts were made from cherry supplied wood is way to soft, scratch worked many things with brass, drawings are great to work with and the Bluenose is such a lovely fishing schooner, its been to fun to build.

Regards

Richard

Great to see an update on the Bluenose, Richard.  Your lettering looks great and the swag on that chain has a very natural appearance.  Beautiful model.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Hi Gary thanks very much for your nice comment, build is coming along slowly, probably should not have started the Victory 🤔 might have been finished.

Putting all these small pieces I made together is making me think what jig would work to help me hold while I fit very small pins/bolts or nuts.

Hope to see some of your brilliant workmanship in the near future.

Regards

Richard