Bluenose by Retired guy - Model Shipways - scale 1:64

Richard

I just enjoyed reading your blog all the way through. I appreciate all the little things I learned along the way.   It is wonderful when folks with your skill show us trick.......your set up for soldering such little pieces. It is so much about how does one hold things in place.    After building my Bluenose at 1:24 ,where one can actually hold onto things, it is a marvel that you keep andeven expand on the detail at this small scale

congrats on a great build and thank you for sharing.

jon  

On 2/8/2020 at 10:41 AM, KeithAug said:

Me too Richard - in 1969 / 1970, in my mind it's not that long ago, it's in my body that I notice the years.

My Apprenticeship was from 74 to 79 in Poole Dorset and totally agreed with your statement 😄

On 2/9/2020 at 10:54 PM, The Lazy Saint said:

Well done Richard, you are making a fantastic job of you Bluenose, it is very inspiring indeed. Thanks for sharing it with us. 

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

Do appreciate your kind words Lazy Saint I am thoroughly enjoying myself building this great Canadian schooner

12 hours ago, Jond said:

Richard

I just enjoyed reading your blog all the way through. I appreciate all the little things I learned along the way.   It is wonderful when folks with your skill show us trick.......your set up for soldering such little pieces. It is so much about how does one hold things in place.    After building my Bluenose at 1:24 ,where one can actually hold onto things, it is a marvel that you keep and even expand on the detail at this small scale

congrats on a great build and thank you for sharing.

jon  

Thanks very much for looking at my blog I hope I can help other modelers, I have looked at other modelers builds and it sure has helped me, you are correct regarding how you must hold pieces to solder you cannot have them moving at all if you want to solder multi pieces together, I do like making the small scale I always am thinking how am I going to make the pieces 🙂

Again thanks for your posts

Regards

Richard

Changed the height of the catheads now they look like the drawing I must have not divided by two :huh:

gSwLWD.jpg

Made a stand which helped me hold the model while I painting the hull black 

mHeNSl.jpg

yEmimu.jpg

KHVE2K.jpg

Now started to look at the cabin and this is what they give for details

wI0FWE.jpg

i2y8Rr.jpg

Started by making a jig to match the inside of the coaming so that I could build sides of the model, this had to be made with the concaved shape stern to bow and convex starboard to port

Spblyn.jpg

Then took the shape to make the outside coaming which was the same as shape which is on the model

OA2UUL.jpg

With this I can start making the sides

9HbGya.jpg

Took a piece of 1/8" square boxwood and machined flats as per corner detail

9DGL0B.jpg

Then cut some planks four for each side height took off drawing put them in a bend jig used the male jig to know what the bend was and put a dab of CA to hold 

Jb4GIH.jpg

D3f5LE.jpg

Cut planks which were glue to length and also the 1/8" square corner pieces mounted in the female jig and got the shape I wanted 

7yCim9.jpg

Check to see if ok with coaming

tmW4ds.jpg

So this all worked great and have four sides glued and at the same time I added 1/8" square boxwood all around the top

TUTDXg.jpg

3gB97q.jpg

AzDzJk.jpg

tle5ge.jpg

3l3vVH.jpg

Regards

Richard

Just stunning.   Another one of those "God I hope to get there one day..." builds.      Really, really nice. 

6 hours ago, mugje said:

really, really beautiful! It is a joy to look at!

The Bluenose was a beautiful ship and I am trying to capture her look thanks Mugje

1 hour ago, The Lazy Saint said:

I totally agree mugje. 

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

Thanks again Lazy Saint forgot to say I added some beams across the top for roof support 

Until next time 

Regards

Richard

Richard,

Beyond so envying your skills :imNotWorthy: I can now also dream about having a shipyard as perfect as yours. lol

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Beautifully crisp and clean work Richard. I love the attention to detail.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

8 hours ago, md1400cs said:

Richard,

Beyond so envying your skills :imNotWorthy: I can now also dream about having a shipyard as perfect as yours. lol

Hi Michael I was taught how to use machines and how to fit by just using a hacksaw and then file and had to be made to thousands of an inch in my first year as an apprentice  at a technical collage, and the teacher would check our work with a vernier and if we were out he would chuck it in the bin, I tried not to have anything chucked in the bin :D

Found a house here on the Island with the basement not done so I had a plan to build and did include making it for my wife to enjoy her hobby as well :) 

3 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Beautifully crisp and clean work Richard. I love the attention to detail.

Thank you Keith do love the detail 

Regards

Richard 

Put some beams in and then added beams were skylight and companionway would go just went off drawing for dimensions, then made a couple of air ports out of wood but might change them to brass.

hUm7kh.jpg

MiA5MJ.jpg

Cut some cherry and made the side rails for the roof 

heE0Rv.jpg

eUgf9W.jpg

Next up was to grind a shape on a blade to match the moulding shown on drawing, then made a jig to hold boxwood while I scraped

zNiraZ.jpg

YLa79v.jpg

5Cd9X1.jpg

J9sSNP.jpg

This is how it came out, for the corners I machined a contour approx same as moulding and cut into four

mLl1TP.jpg 

pwvqM7.jpg

Cut some boxwood planks 1/16" thick for the roof each one was then tapered to fit

D2sGLv.jpg

bpM0aA.jpg

mghV89.jpg

Last one to go in, and at the same time cut cutout for skylight

W3yrR5.jpg

Then a light sand

h5OkGV.jpg

rivhzm.jpg

Got the skylight made up again using boxwood for sides lid but used a small bit of cherry right on top

ULFOqp.jpg

I was looking at a picture of the skylight and I could see that there was a recess for the glass and underneath was the bars so put a recess in to hold glass, pictures is to help with build if not allowed please delete.

iPyh6f.jpg

lSLc9P.jpg

to make the bar grates I cut a strip of boxwood 1/32 x .025" cut into four and drilled .016" holes spaced .039" apart then glued in the bars

m3mSHA.jpg

Then installed inside still have to make hinges and add the glass/plastic

sT3vOs.jpg

t6aQXu.jpg

Again thanks for all your comments and likes 

Regards

Richard

Richard,

Super well detailed. That razor blade trick is something that I always have wanted to try - your work is just perfect. 

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Superb work on the mouldings Richard. Have you considered scratch building?

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

8 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Superb work on the mouldings Richard. Have you considered scratch building?

Thanks Keith, have done a lot of scratch work using brass, plastic but would like to build a boat from scratch.

3 hours ago, jwvolz said:

Coming along beautifully Richard!

Do like this Model shipway model Joe she is beautiful and find I am having a lot of fun building her

Regards

Richard

First let me say your workmanship and attention to detail is astounding, congrats on doing such fine work.

One question. When creating your razorblade scraper is the molding shape done by eye, using some sort of template or perhaps drawn first with a stylus?

Dave

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

Ooops,

FYI mates; Just remembered (I had forgotten) that some time back I had purchased this set of pre-shaped edge trimmers. Have not used them yet.

Regards,

IMG_1190.jpg.9db09b0594aae1ac6026360dede1c059.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

On 2/16/2020 at 9:01 AM, JeffK said:

I’m just starting to build a generic fishing schooner and am following your log for ideas and techniques. I am in awe with what your are able to do and hope mine is a tenth as good. I’m also amazed how fast you are moving in this. 

Hi Jeff thanks for looking in and commenting on my build, what fishing schooner are you building it would be nice to see your progress

6 hours ago, CPDDET said:

First let me say your workmanship and attention to detail is astounding, congrats on doing such fine work.

One question. When creating your razorblade scraper is the molding shape done by eye, using some sort of template or perhaps drawn first with a stylus?

Dave

Thanks very much Dave trying to capture her in all the nice detail, and yes did grind the moulding shape by eye, used my Turbo carver with a diamond bit then finished it off with a very small diamond file

AH65zy.jpg

XJKjqu.jpg

4 hours ago, md1400cs said:

Ooops,

FYI mates; Just remembered (I had forgotten) that some time back I had purchased this set of pre-shaped edge trimmers. Have not used them yet.

Regards,

IMG_1190.jpg.9db09b0594aae1ac6026360dede1c059.jpg

They look nice can you tried one and shows us what comes out, what is the thickness of them?

Regards

Richard 

Richard, nice diamond file set. Where did you get them please?

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

1 hour ago, KeithAug said:

Richard, nice diamond file set. Where did you get them please?

Keith they are very nice, got them from Gesswein Canada but they are an American company

cr7rsw.jpg

asccZ0.jpg

This is how big they are 

0kgTof.jpg

Bought quite a few tools from this place.

Regards

Richard

8 hours ago, mugje said:

Very nice micro file set! Not very cheap tho :P 

No not very cheap but as one says cheap = break 😁 since I bought them I have used them a lot 

31 minutes ago, CPDDET said:

It's about what I paid for my set of Swiss escapement files. Good tools don't come cheap.

Dave where did you buy your Swiss files

Regards

Richard

19 hours ago, Retired guy said:

Hi Jeff thanks for looking in and commenting on my build, what fishing schooner are you building it would be nice to see your progress

Thanks very much Dave trying to capture her in all the nice detail, and yes did grind the moulding shape by eye, used my Turbo carver with a diamond bit then finished it off with a very small diamond file

AH65zy.jpg

XJKjqu.jpg

They look nice can you tried one and shows us what comes out, what is the thickness of them?

Regards

Richard 

First try - May need to re-do my current ship upper deck railing details hmmmm?

seems to work just fine on a harder woods as well - need to go-back-and-forth several times of course

FYI: Don't know this site.  https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=LATR7300

IMG_1191.jpg.8f16906ce94f1d63fbe02aa4309aaae2.jpgIMG_1193.jpg.7011e8d6b42a7e991587fb948720ebd2.jpg

Edited by md1400cs
adding info

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -