Bluenose by Retired guy - Model Shipways - scale 1:64

I presume you machined those nuts for the boom buffer, nice going it could be real life size in the pic. Fyi I don't think there was glass in the portholes on the Bluenose. Just in the cabin skylight Richard. I could be wrong but fairly sure ;) Nice clean work so much fun to watch come together. Regards ~

18 hours ago, egkb said:

A real treat to watch this build .. Wonderful Workmanship going on here ! (I mean, what you did with that Boom Buffer .. Drool :) :))

All The Very Best Richard..

Eamonn

Thanks very much Eamonn did add a bit of Ebony wood for the rubber parts 

15 hours ago, jamcdonel said:

Wow, Richard! 

That is great stuff. I am about the same stage on Bluenose. Really enjoying your build and taking lots of inspiration from your work. I am currently struggling with the sheet buffers and the porthole frames.

You have given me an idea about the  buffers. I work in the optical business, and as I look at yours, I’m thinking glasses hinge parts! I’m going to raid the repair cabinet when I get to the office later this morning.

Watching in awe..

Jim

Thanks Jim would like to see what you come up with for the buffers 👍

10 hours ago, CPDDET said:

I continue to monitor your progress and really appreciate your sharing. As always, wonderful work.

Dave

Thanks again for your comments Dave 

2 hours ago, JeffK said:

I am totally impressed with the level of detail and the quality of your work.  I am slowly working on my design for a kit hack of a schooner, and your work is given me a lot of inspiration!  Keep up your posts.  

Thanks Jeff will keep posting 

1 hour ago, NovaStorm said:

I presume you machined those nuts for the boom buffer, nice going it could be real life size in the pic. Fyi I don't think there was glass in the portholes on the Bluenose. Just in the cabin skylight Richard. I could be wrong but fairly sure ;) Nice clean work so much fun to watch come together. Regards ~

Hi Robin, nope did not machine the nuts I buy them from scale hardware which is now been bought my Model Motorcars Ltd and also RB Motion, didn't know that there was no glass in the Main Cabin portholes and stern Skylight come to think of it it would have been quite the smell down there.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments and thanks for all the likes.

Regards

Richard

12 hours ago, NovaStorm said:

Agreed on the lack of glass.  On the Model Shipways plan they are listed as "Air ports", which indicate ventilation as the main purpose to my mind.  Because I have no detail inside the cabin, I painted a block of wood flat black and glued it to the inside of the cabin wall to finish them off and prevent any view to the undetailed inside.

Love these latest details you have added.  The boom buffer is a major improvement on the cast kit parts!

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Completely blown away by this build.   I came here on the recommendation of Novastorm, and am just stunned.   You've got the goods for sure, don't mind me while I try to learn a thing or two (or ten)!

On 4/14/2020 at 5:49 AM, Retired guy said:

Make one as per drawing provided (drawing is 3/8" = 1'-0") so here is how it turned out

Nicely done Richard - tricky little things to make aren’t they.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

On 4/15/2020 at 6:34 AM, bhermann said:

Agreed on the lack of glass.  On the Model Shipways plan they are listed as "Air ports", which indicate ventilation as the main purpose to my mind.  Because I have no detail inside the cabin, I painted a block of wood flat black and glued it to the inside of the cabin wall to finish them off and prevent any view to the undetailed inside.

Love these latest details you have added.  The boom buffer is a major improvement on the cast kit parts!

Bob

Hi Bob just wondering if the airports were like the ones on Bluenose 11, I bought a book "Bluenose on board a legend by Devyn Kaizer photography by Peter Zwicker" and it has one picture of airports in the Captains cabin, picture is to help with build if not allowed please delete.

uDrYNj.jpg

kfygAc.jpg

And yes the boom buffer was a major improvement and thanks again for looking in.

On 4/16/2020 at 5:12 AM, Justin P. said:

Completely blown away by this build.   I came here on the recommendation of Novastorm, and am just stunned.   You've got the goods for sure, don't mind me while I try to learn a thing or two (or ten)!

Thanks for looking in Justin, do hope with what I show will help anyone with/how to make small parts to enhance there model.

On 4/19/2020 at 4:54 PM, KeithAug said:

Nicely done Richard - tricky little things to make aren’t they.

You are correct Keith, it was tricky and the cast parts were completely wrong, found this picture on the web if not allowed please delete

rkR1k8.jpg

PMCwKP.jpg

Just have the U-bolts and ring to make.

Regards

Richard

As per other items made from white metal I did not use the white metal Dreadnaught (Canada name) head galley stack which was provided, made from 3/32" tubing and then machined the mount as per drawing provided, this will be painted sliver.

n7WURI.jpg

XEqJSu.jpg 

yD8c7K.jpg

3YTvsI.jpg

iXlEG8.jpg

Next I made the two Dory Kids again from boxwood, have to still make the gripe rings and the chocks, chocks will be made to fit the Dory hull once I build them.

gdBpop.jpg

G12xEQ.jpg 

Looking at pictures and drawing provided again I noticed the hoisting engine cover box looks like to me (could be wrong) it is sitting 90 deg to the stanchions and also sits on a mount which shows in black so that the hoisting engine would sit horizontal not on an angle shown on drawing provided, pictures are a help with my build if not allowed please delete.

OsK5Ff.jpg

Hmu8tN.jpg

7D5129.jpg

So have discarded what I have built and remade using boxwood, made planks so that they would be approx 4" 1 to 1 size, made corners round as per pictures also now have made it with the pull out, in the process of making the cover with workable hinges. The mount I have made so it slants too the the couture of the deck.

c6vZVP.jpg 

vq77jt.jpg

Lpe7Nw.jpg

zyKEHT.jpg

t7bgqO.jpg

pw7Iwx.jpg

Making the new engine cover I thought why not make the engine, so this I have made out of plastic and still is a work in progress, started by making the flywheels ( did make them wrong, made them with eight spooks instead of six opps will not make again) also found a picture on the web of a 1920 2 cycle, not sure who made it if it is even right but it looks ok to me, would anyone happen to know what engine would they have used for the Bluenose??

Z4NuJi.jpg  

wYojsY.jpg

Yf4NVg.jpg

Then took the size off the drawing and made the body 

tB0ZhQ.jpg

4JAYOb.jpg

Added the water tank and exhaust will paint it green 

zkLb5U.jpg

kD1Ud0.jpg

60540J.jpg

Thanks very much to all for your likes and for those who leave a comment until next time.

Regards

Richard

Fantastic bit of detail adding the engine Richard. Just enjoyed going through all the photo's from your build again. I see you painted around the outboard edge on the main rail and monkey rail. Most do I think because the BII was done this way. Looking forward to your next installment :)  Cheers ~

10 hours ago, NovaStorm said:

Fantastic bit of detail adding the engine Richard. Just enjoyed going through all the photo's from your build again. I see you painted around the outboard edge on the main rail and monkey rail. Most do I think because the BII was done this way. Looking forward to your next installment :)  Cheers ~

Thanks Robin have looked at the pictures and yes will have to paint some areas black, thanks very much for bringing it up, also I see the Bowsprit is black as well, will do this when I paint the cove yellow.

Regards

Richard

great updates Richard........the little engine looks super :)   thanks for the proper terminology for the venting.........I've made them for a few of my fishing boats,  and nowhere I've looked tells me what they were actually called.   your model is coming along nicely! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice little engine Richard, all looking very ship shape.  

Edited by KeithAug

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

On 4/27/2020 at 6:37 AM, popeye the sailor said:

great updates Richard........the little engine looks super :)   thanks for the proper terminology for the venting.........I've made them for a few of my fishing boats,  and nowhere I've looked tells me what they were actually called.   your model is coming along nicely! :) 

On 4/27/2020 at 3:25 PM, KeithAug said:

Nice little engine Richard, all looking very ship shape.  

On 4/28/2020 at 5:13 AM, etubino said:

Thanks a lot Richard! I reallyenjoy your craftmanship working on this beatifull metal details.

Thanks for your comments and all the likes guys, engine is a bit of a guess, going by what's on the drawing and then just adding a few details as per picture I found, and galley stack was only called Dreadnaught Head in Canada 🤔 so no idea what they called it else where, maybe just galley stack 😁

Regards

Richard 

While I was changing engine box I noticed the boom crutch I made was not right as per the drawings (I think I was looking at Phil Eisnor drawing) and I had put the shaft for the engine hoist to low so have now made out of Boxwood as per the drawing provided, did find a picture on the web to help with my build if not allowed please remove.

7D5129.jpg

y8gFfZ.jpg

Making the new boom crutch I looked at the kit supplied items and again the white metal parts were not very good and also see how I had made awhile ago.

LOgOQQ.jpg

HtkHar.jpg

Started by making the bearings out of brass and 1/32" shaft (it said on the drawing provided shafts were 2 1/4" dia) then made two pinion gears, one which will go under winch gear and the other to go on counter shaft stand, size was .148" dia x .044" thick and made it 12 tooth should have been more but only had a .020" ball cutter, this worked out to one tooth every 30 deg, did use two cutters started with a .031" ball cutter and finished off with the .020" ball cutter.

mwO6Si.jpg

Q3uIIY.jpg

Then I looked at the winch gear and it didn't look right with my pinion gear so made the teeth part .045" wide by .500" dia made this with 36 teeth so every 10 deg used a .04" ball to start and then finish off with a .031" ball, then put in the mill and cut spokes did it right and cut six 😃 did the spokes by eye so they are a little out here and there, but it did match the pinion teeth fantastic.

cEJhsV.jpg

cQ2Iyj.jpg

In the end made all teeth an 8 tooth, and two 13 tooth (one should have been an 12 tooth but who's going to count 🤔) then made the bell shape winches and the teeth parts for the Pawl's

gYitgv.jpg

ox7qbL.jpg

F4nhOL.jpg

nnmIZK.jpg

Didn't like the Pawl's supplied in white metal so made both out of brass

fgydy8.jpg

jLdyrm.jpg

Tmokkg.jpg

The last thing I made which was the most difficult was to make the counter shaft stand again did not like the white metal one, it was bigger than the drawing so made from brass angle and brass sheet, bearings I machined from brass rectangle each stand was made from six parts and soldered together, all parts were then blacken with Birchwood Casey brass black, last things to make will be the levers for clutch.

Whit metal stand

Zb0pKZ.jpg

d0ImPu.jpg

HNVA8x.jpg

e2rzhD.jpg

fzLmbJ.jpg

PhanP7.jpg

This was a first for me to make gears, and I found I had a great time making all of them and I do feel it is a big difference from the supplied parts.

Until next time

Regards

Richard

Edited by Retired guy

Your gears are a massive improvement from the kits parts. Looking forward to your next bit of progress! 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

2 hours ago, WalrusGuy said:

Your gears are a massive improvement from the kits parts. Looking forward to your next bit of progress! 

Thanks very much Walrusguy, wonder if I should make some rubber molds and make some resin castings 🤔

1 hour ago, jwvolz said:

I continue to be so impressed with your metal work Richard.  

Thanks appreciate it Joe, having a blast making these parts it does help when one is retired :)

11 minutes ago, marktiedens said:

Really nice work!

Mark

Hi Mark thanks a lot I find this a most enjoyable build for me.

Regards

Richard

Richard -- again :imNotWorthy: 

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I am always surprised to find kit parts of such poor quality, I know its driven by price and profits but can it really cost that much to turn out something that is passably ok. I remember kits of 30 years ago and I think that in the main the fittings were better - or maybe my memory is letting me down. Excellent alternatives Richard.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

nice work on the gear work.   Micro Mark sells an assortment bag of watch gears and stuff........craft stores also sell wooden and metal gears as well,  but some of them are too large { I have an assortment in my inventory}.

the detail your adding to the model is astounding.......I just mention this to give an easier alternative  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 5/3/2020 at 6:16 AM, jamcdonel said:

Bravo! Finastkind

Nice word Ja thanks for looking in

On 5/3/2020 at 9:35 AM, md1400cs said:

Richard -- again :imNotWorthy: 

You are too kind Michael thanks a lot.

On 5/3/2020 at 2:20 PM, KeithAug said:

I am always surprised to find kit parts of such poor quality, I know its driven by price and profits but can it really cost that much to turn out something that is passably ok. I remember kits of 30 years ago and I think that in the main the fittings were better - or maybe my memory is letting me down. Excellent alternatives Richard.

Totally agree Keith it is pretty sad when you get supplied fitting like this, for people who don't have the equipment to make it's a shame, I don't know what they were like back 30 odd years ago was not making ships then, but do appreciate your kind words.

10 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

nice work on the gear work.   Micro Mark sells an assortment bag of watch gears and stuff........craft stores also sell wooden and metal gears as well,  but some of them are too large { I have an assortment in my inventory}.

the detail your adding to the model is astounding.......I just mention this to give an easier alternative  ;) 

Thanks Dennis for the info on were to get gears, but the fun in modeling for me is to work out how to make items and then make it, did make the small gears so that a chain from a aftermarket 1/12 scale motor bike would fit my sprockets 😁

NSQ4mZ.jpg

nLbJ7M.jpg

4 hours ago, Schooners said:

Wow, that is absolutely awesome.  I think your gears are soooo cool. I can't beleive the spokes in that wheel, you even have the relief in them. I want to learn how to do that.   Which set of plans did you find to be most accurate with regards to the deck equipment?

Thanks Schooner, yea did machine the relief in the spokes, bit nuts eh, turned the shape in the lathe then cut teeth, machined spokes on the mill, you have a great question regarding plans as you know I am building from the kit Model Shipways and on the first page of the instruction manual they have this letter.

O6gmm1.jpg

I like how Ben Lankford made scale drawing which you can build from, and as you see I have built as close as I can to them, I am not sure regarding Phil Esoner drawings which I have sheets 1 to 5 because they are different on deck furniture than Ben Lankford's but then I have the LB Jenson book with his sketches and deck furniture looks different again so which one is right 🤔 your guess is as good as mine, so I have tried to look at as many pictures for help but they can range from 1921 to 1946 just before she was sold and she did get a couple of refits over those years anyway thanks very much for your post, so I will carry on but I could be wrong in what I build.

Here's a side shot of her

YbX0pN.jpg

Do want to thank you all for the likes as well as the comments do appreciate it 

Regards

Richard  

Edited by Retired guy

Elegant Boats , I always loved that cutaway forefoot!  

An Absolute Pleasure To Follow Your Build Along Richard.

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 6:56 AM, jamcdonel said:

Richard, I’ve been curious about how you were going to do the chain... that must be the smallest roller chain available.

I have searched and searched, and I’m still looking for a decent workaround.

I have look around for a workaround and could not find one either so bike chain was my only choice, I really don't want to make one :wacko:

On 5/5/2020 at 12:57 PM, egkb said:

Elegant Boats , I always loved that cutaway forefoot!  

An Absolute Pleasure To Follow Your Build Along Richard.

Eamonn

Thanks a lot Eamonn it is an elegant shaped boat.

Regards

Richard

Made the hinges for the engine box, glue in place and they work well.

Did find out what engine they used, found it was a Acadian Co Bulldog 10 HP, gasoline fuel, make &break, magneto start  it was in the L.B Jenson box (if this is not allowed please delete) and found a picture of it on the web looks like it was red/orange.

5aBClD.jpg 

E47Oag.jpg

NaLzqL.jpg

C8drQa.jpg

NLghyu.jpg

mhwTmD.jpg

Now that the gears are made for the boom crutch, I looked at the windlass I had built using the white metal parts and wooden parts that I added as per the drawings and thought this should be upgraded :)

Drawing part of Model Shipways

4leP3K.jpg

lsTRGX.jpg

bfkXBe.jpg

Then looked at LB Jenson sketches and he had some specifications and sketches (these are to help with my build if not allowed please delete)

WoVesv.jpg

And on the bottom of this page it says Bluenose were fitted out as per drawing

m87vIW.jpg

bahTjZ.jpg

ngsFFo.jpg

4wYNEW.jpg

Then looked back at the pictures which were taken just before she was sold 1946 we have three deference's (these are to help with my build if not allowed please delete)  

y8gFfZ.jpg 

lpeH2R.jpg

bbox0O.jpg

So I have gone with a bit here and there so started by machining a piece of boxwood to 17" dia real size 1/64 scale was .265" put a bevel on each end (which later found I did wrong) then drilled a .046" hole and put a shaft through.

UVJFoR.jpg

Next up was to make the two ratchet bands size .485" dia x .046 wide then cut 36 teeth

BJge1O.jpg

jaVgZT.jpg

Then made the windlass gear size was .656" x .056" wide and then cut 48 teeth this worked out to 7.5 deg gears fitted good, put it back in lathe using a piece of wood so that I could put it square to bore inside dia 

o9fn1C.jpg

zokB3A.jpg

Machined the spider band which bolts to the windlass gear, then glued it to a piece of boxwood .265" so that I could machine the spider legs, same time drilled .013" holes in each leg

0SeBuq.jpg

ckVu3c.jpg

oG8uWD.jpg

Marked some blue on the gear and filed little stick outs for the connection for spider band, next up was to bend the spider legs to fit the gear rim, then made a jig so that it  was nice and steady while I drilled the two together. 

3xxAN3.jpg

cGS5ow.jpg

z0gwp2.jpg

Up next was the Pawl teeth band this I made as per L.B Jenson sketch which was for 13 teeth on an angle so machined size as per sketch size was .354" dia x .076" wide

Wzhszg.jpg

Put it in the mill and offset the cutter and bit by bit got the teeth to look the way I wanted

YOdK98.jpg

jHMUjJ.jpg

gneK6T.jpg

Made two washers .014" thick to go either side of Pawl teeth

kodKxW.jpg

Again did enjoy making these gears it was fun figuring how to make them.

To be continued

Regards

Richard 

I'm beyond impressed with all the details going into this build. Looks fantastic! In fact, 'fantastic' may be well of an understatement. Looking forward to your next step 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways