Bluenose by Retired guy - Model Shipways - scale 1:64

Loving it Richard, it is as much fun for us to watch as it must be for you building her. The windlass is looking real good and if I am not mistaken I believe the hull paint you have corrected ;)   Nice going m8 it will be many a year before we see anything like this build again I'm sure. Justice is being served!

14 hours ago, WalrusGuy said:

I'm beyond impressed with all the details going into this build. Looks fantastic! In fact, 'fantastic' may be well of an understatement. Looking forward to your next step 

10 hours ago, egkb said:

Speechless Here Mate !!

Eamonn

8 hours ago, CPDDET said:

Beyond any words I can think of.

6 hours ago, Geowolf said:

wow, the best finishing work i've ever seen, wonderful!! 😲

6 hours ago, NovaStorm said:

Loving it Richard, it is as much fun for us to watch as it must be for you building her. The windlass is looking real good and if I am not mistaken I believe the hull paint you have corrected ;)   Nice going m8 it will be many a year before we see anything like this build again I'm sure. Justice is being served!

5 hours ago, jwvolz said:

That's some fantastic work Richard. You should be a watchmaker!

2 hours ago, JeffK said:

I’ve run out of superlatives to describe this build!  Awesome!

:blush: Thank you all very much for such nice comments trying to get her to look right, but there are so many difference's between drawings and pictures so trying to make a 1921 version is going to be tough, as you can see in picture of Pawl teeth band it has more teeth than the drawing from L.B Jenson, and looking at the Model Shipway drawing it has the shaft way bigger than 17" :huh: then looking at the picture of the wood whelps the shaped part looks longer than Model Shipway and L.B Jenson drawings, so I think a lot of parts either broke or wore out and replaced as the years went by.

Again thank you all for looking in on my ongoing blog also thanks for the likes do appreciate it.

Regards

Richard

"Breathtaking" is probably not the best way to describe a building process but it sure comes to mind as I follow your journey...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

On 5/28/2020 at 6:54 AM, NovaStorm said:

Hi Robin, forgot to say have not painted the sides just yet its on my to do list 😄

Regards

Richard

Made the square bearings as per Model Shipway drawings and then Casey Blacked all gears, bearings and shaft.

fQNULf.jpg

Then started to work on the wood whelps and that is when I found I had made the shaft wrong, while I was looking at the pictures I thought there was a step and when I glued the first ones I could see there was no room for the shaped whelps so re-machined a new shaft.

Ayn0zT.jpg

Started to make the riding Bitt, cheek and knees adding in the square hole for bearing, this I machined in the mill and all wood was Boxwood

kegv1A.jpg

Added the deck pads which I did not have the first time and filed chamfer to both Bitts and then glued knees to Bitts

gTL34m.jpg

h4bAmW.jpg

After that I started back on the wood whelps for rope hawser, made as per LB Jenson book but the shaped whelps I went as the picture, made all wedges so total of 20 pieces made from Boxwood to make up rope hawser.

fOiGEZ.jpg

CjXHJq.jpg

dEh1os.jpg

Installed gears to see how it looked at this stage and also to start making the double pawl, here is a picture of old and upgraded

T7cnjJ.jpg

Pawl bracket machined .134" x .210" base part was .012" thick and sides with holes was .010" thick, pawls were .076" wide and had a taper on each one 

Kd68Mb.jpg

xwteAX.jpg

Added four .013" holes in base so that I could add four bolts

bKKshd.jpg

hkkdWd.jpg

Looking not to bad 

zEjdMo.jpg

wODSJa.jpg

Next up was to work on the Chain Hawser started by making pie shape pieces to go around shaft and then machined the wooden sheave which go on the outside (I think it is called a sheave)

gXaJpa.jpg

n5HV71.jpg

Pum0CK.jpg

Last ting was to add the iron whelps, looking at the pictures I think there was four and that is what I have done, but looking at Model Shipway drawing I can see eight so does anyone know how many? I can easily add the other four. 

jPm6ZF.jpg

vRQhms.jpg

I am really glad I upgraded and enjoyed making all these parts.

TMfHok.jpg

Until next time

Regards

Richard

I liked the first one but this one is much better. What do the Jenson drawings show for whelps. I would have thought eight given they are just inserts that could be changed out as they wear down. Seems odd that the pics only show 4 eh. Beautiful work Richard :) 

Richard,

As always - beyond brilliant -- Hmmm - I did not want to search wayback  What kind of wood strips did you use for your deck?

I like the look of these for my next project. And did you buy from a supplier or cut the planks yourself - prob. a stupid second question haha

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

17 hours ago, JToma said:

Thats a huge improvement. Nice work.

Thanks Jeff glad I spent the time upgrading it has made that area pop out 👍

17 hours ago, NovaStorm said:

I liked the first one but this one is much better. What do the Jenson drawings show for whelps. I would have thought eight given they are just inserts that could be changed out as they wear down. Seems odd that the pics only show 4 eh. Beautiful work Richard :) 

Jenson book does not have section views on the chain hawser which is a pity because he did the wood hawser, the picture does not clearly show 4 I am assuming, but went and added the other four and to me it looks better

vcL0So.jpg

16 hours ago, jamcdonel said:

I put six “iron” whelps on mine. Not sure why exactly. Looked awfully crowded with eight.

Hi Ja see above have added the other four used .010" thick brass so that would have been just over 5/8" thick bar 

5 hours ago, md1400cs said:

Richard,

As always - beyond brilliant -- Hmmm - I did not want to search wayback  What kind of wood strips did you use for your deck?

I like the look of these for my next project. And did you buy from a supplier or cut the planks yourself - prob. a stupid second question haha

Cheers,

Thanks you kindly Michael did use the kit wood which is either Basswood or Limewood (European Basswood) 1/16" thick x 3/32"

aGStrK.jpg

Thanks very much for your comments and all the likes 

Regards

Richard

27 minutes ago, Retired guy said:

Jenson book does not have section views on the chain hawser which is a pity because he did the wood hawser, the picture does not clearly show 4 I am assuming, but went and added the other four and to me it looks better

I think it looks better to, the other way it looked like they were missing. Thanks for asking for input Richard I think it is great that even with a build of your caliber you want all of our opinion's. Cheers ~

Richard,

Fantasic.  I echo all of the other's adulating comments. Thank you for taking so many detailed photographs, you don't know what eye candy, and inspiration, they are for me.  I especially enjoy the "how to" pics of the parts on the mill and lathe.  How do you index your lathe to get such perfect gear tooth spacing on such a small part?

On 6/1/2020 at 1:20 PM, NovaStorm said:

I think it looks better to, the other way it looked like they were missing. Thanks for asking for input Richard I think it is great that even with a build of your caliber you want all of our opinion's. Cheers ~

Thanks Robin, do like to ask questions/opinions if information is not available or not being able to find on the web/books, I don't know to much on the Bluenose and it is nice to get feedback 👍

2 hours ago, Schooners said:

Richard,

Fantasic.  I echo all of the other's adulating comments. Thank you for taking so many detailed photographs, you don't know what eye candy, and inspiration, they are for me.  I especially enjoy the "how to" pics of the parts on the mill and lathe.  How do you index your lathe to get such perfect gear tooth spacing on such a small part?

Thank you Schooners, to answer your question I use a Sherline  4" Rotary Table  combined with the Sherline Tilting Angle plate, the handle comes with 0 to 50, 50 is 5 deg so you can work out deg, minutes, and seconds :) 

kFypRZ.jpg

UJDZWr.jpg

hLiX59.jpg

I also bought a few Harvey Tool cutters ranging in sizes, some with radius and some with ball, great tool bits 

L4s04O.jpg

Have made quite a few things with these tools like brackets for 1:24 Hurricane legs

D5R3eY.jpg

44LpZh.jpg

Regards

Richard

Exceptionally fine work Richard and beautiful detail. 

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 1 month later...

Couple of small updates starting with the guard to go over the windlass gears, does not look much but I suppose it stopped fingers/hands or rope/chain from jamming 🤔

Sheared .003" brass sheet bent to shape and then soldered the top bracket on, was just a little short so soldered a small piece to the bottom, after that drilled four .011" holes so that I could add some .4 mm Philip screws, will blacken it later.  

hBE0HG.jpg

xQQZTU.jpg

Next up was the windlass brakes so started with the brake beam used this picture and drawings provided to come up with the shape,  machined the base out of 1/8" sq brass bottom is .014" and sides are .010" then made the beam out of 3/32" sq brass, drill the hole for the mount first then machined the side stiffeners after that I filed to shape, filed ends so that I could fit 1/16" sq tubing these were cut to .098" long and then soldered to each end also cut a piece of tubing and that got soldered to the mounting hole, once this was done I cut the small reinforcement bar at each end were handle will go from 3/32" brass tube and soldered them on and gave it a go clean up.

lpeH2R.jpg

dZav2s.jpg

PoCFGi.jpg

MVd0e9.jpg

q1KsKQ.jpg

WIsZXY.jpg

Made the small brackets for connecting links from .10" brass then made a jig so that I could soldered them on

W2YGIK.jpg

Held it down so nothing moves and bingo it worked 

Aiv3aM.jpg

Will blacken it later, pic with kit supplied part

A5h5kY.jpg

agtRgg.jpg

UKCM9R.jpg

Next up is to make two of these ratchet quadrants then shackles and links

QjbdK0.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the comments and likes much appreciated until next time.

Regards

Richard  

Yes, great update.

You raise the bar to levels hardly ever seen. That image - holding the bits in your fingers speaks volumes :imNotWorthy:

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

On 6/10/2020 at 6:00 PM, KeithAug said:

Exceptionally fine work Richard and beautiful detail. 

Thanks very much Keith and your build is absolutely exceptionally good as well 👍

On 6/14/2020 at 7:57 PM, Rpolson said:

Having recently restarted my BLUENOSE build, this is inspiring me to do better!

Richard

Hope it helps you in your build Richard

On 8/6/2020 at 3:43 PM, NovaStorm said:

Outstanding job Richard, the guard looks like it belongs there and the brake is so well done!!! Great update :)

~

Thanks Robin did make with a few knocks as I see in the pictures, still thinking of maybe doing a bit of weathering 

On 8/6/2020 at 4:52 PM, md1400cs said:

Yes, great update.

You raise the bar to levels hardly ever seen. That image - holding the bits in your fingers speaks volumes :imNotWorthy:

Thanks Michael that is very nice of you to say  

On 8/6/2020 at 7:12 PM, jwvolz said:

Just love your metal work Richard. 

Love the metal work as well Joe, but also I do love doing the woodwork isn't it a great hobby

21 hours ago, Rpolson said:

Great metal work....much better than kit supplied item!

Richard

You are right Richard the kit supplied white metal parts are not up to par which is a shame 

13 hours ago, mugje said:

Fantastic stuff again!

Thanks Mugje 

8 hours ago, egkb said:

Stunning Yet Again Mate !!

Eamonn

Thanks a lot mate just trying to get it to look right really.

0ojmKD.jpg

Again thanks for your comments and to everyone for the likes

Regards

Richard

Richard, 
I just got back to my Bluenose, and I have to say.... the detailing of yours is outstanding, 

and I know I won't even close to yours when mine is done.
However, you are an inspiration to all of us. There is always something to learn from others.

Thank you

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry