HMS Victory by The Lazy Saint - Mantua - Scale 1:200 - Third wooden ship

Hi Emmet, 

You are carrying out the correct action to quote from another/previous post, however, you are quoting the whole post. It may be better to quote only the part of the post relevant to the subject of your post. For example, you requested information about where you could purchase a pin pusher, a very good and valid question, however, you quoted the entire post in which l mentioned my use of one. That post consisted of some 40 lines of text and 13 pictures. 

6 hours ago, Emmet said:

Sorry but I did not realize it was a problem

Don't worry, it's not a problem, it's just clearer keeping the quote short and relevant. 

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

1 hour ago, The Lazy Saint said:

Don't worry, it's not a problem, it's just clearer keeping the quote short and relevant. 

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

Thanks for informing me about how to do it.  To tell the truth I was doubling my own posts because I could not figure out how to enter text.

I probably messed up some other people's sites.  I do appreciate you letting me know. I do not do much on the internet. I do a lot of pictures but do not even use clouds and such. I prefer to be on my own.  I am not a social media buff.

10 minutes ago, Emmet said:

I do appreciate you letting me know.

Every social media platform has its own methods of operation and conventions on proper usage. If nobody ever told anybody how to do stuff right, we'd all keep on doing it wrong! 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

17 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Every social media platform has its own methods of operation and conventions on proper usage. If nobody ever told anybody how to do stuff right, we'd all keep on doing it wrong! 😉

Absolutely. I have looked for info on the site but so far have not found anything about how to enter info or questions. The search box helps some.  I have no problem with someone advising me on how-tos.

Hi LS,

Yeah it’s good that we are nearly at the same place with our builds.  Don't really think my one is up to the same level of workmanship as yours, but happy you think it may be of some use and that we can nut things out together.  One of the biggest disappointments with this kit was the stern detail that was provided. The laser cut and marked parts in my opinion are near impossible to get to a good level of detail.  I am a big fan of styrene extrusions like Evergreen, so set too and built my own stern sections.  The result was okay and certainly had the 3D effect the laser version did not.  It still needs to be tidied up a bit, photos tend to highlight the flaws in the paintwork.

I really enjoy the rigging stage and looking forward to seeing yours evolve over the weeks to come.   I will try and get a build log up and running soon, I have quite a few photos to post, but of course its finding to time.

Looking forward to your progress,

Thanks,

Johnny D.

20200115_100636sml.jpg

Hi Johnny D,

You are right, the photographs we take always tend to highlight faults, unfocused areas of the picture tend to make paintwork look smudged. 

You have done a fantastic job on your Stern, did you build it up in layers 🤔 it certainly has made a BIG difference. I would be interested in knowing how you did it. I wonder if l could re model mine. 

Thanks for sharing Johnny D.

Best wishes as always. 

Hi LS,

I have worked with styrene for many years, mainly on architectural models. It has strengths and limitations but is a good alternative to use as a replacement for small wooden parts, which this kit certainly has.  I elected to re-do the stern sections before I started the model, simply because for me, if I failed to achieve a result I was happy with, then I would not proceed with the kit knowing to stern would let it down in the end.

I did not take any photos of the construction of the stern, however it is fairly straight forward (ish).  I will walk you through it and if it is something you might undertake can produce a drawing outlining the build sequence, extrusion sizes etc.

I created the stern by:-

1. Scanning the 3 sections as supplied with the kit as a JPG file.

2. Importing the scanned image into CorelDraw at 1:1

3. Tracing line work following the laser etched line work. All lines including window mullions – but not the rows of small columns. (Only need to do one side panel as it is copied and mirrored).

4. Print out all 3 panels.

5. I chose 0.4mm thick white styrene sheet as a base.

6. Trim and spray the printed sheet using 3M permanent spray adhesive. (Apply the printed sheet on what will be the reverse side of the panels as the ‘seen’ side will be the styrene sheet side).

7. Once dried (couple of minutes) carefully cut out each panel and cut out the entire area where the windows and columns are, this will leave the perimeter with a big hole in the middle. Repeat this for each side panel.

8. Repeat this but only producing the shapes from the underside of the top mullion to the top of the bottom window mullion just the depth of where the columns will go.  You need to stick to the vertical dimensions so it doesn’t become too big and simply won’t be the same proportions as the laser sheet. You will end up with 2 arched pieces per panel, 2 large for the rear and 2 x 2 smaller pieces for the side panels.

This is where the fun starts,

1. Now you need to remove the printed paper backing because it is not strong enough when it will eventually be fixed to the model.  I feels that it would be but it is important that it is removed.  To do this apply a liberal amount of plastic solvent adhesive to the paper backing, give it a minute  to soak in, then just peel away the paper.

2. The columns.  I real challenge on how on earth to achieve something similar without having to place the columns individually.  Solution – HO scale fences.  Found some HO fences where the verticals where under 1.0mm wide.  I simply cut the top rail off the fences which allowed me to bend it into to an inverted fan shape.  I then overlaid this on to the arched pieces which I had glued that down so it wouldn’t move, lined up the fence over the top of the arched styrene, following the curve, gluing only the fence bottom rail down with super glue.  The fence is just sitting in place over the arched styrene but held in place, both pieces were glued on to a piece of A4 paper. Then very sparingly applied styrene solvent to cement the fence to the arched styrene shape.  This was trial and error as the solvent tended to melt the fence because the posts were very small. Very, very small amounts of solvent.  I left it weld together for 24hours, going back and making sure all the fence posts were firmly bonded to the arched styrene shape.  Once dried, I trimmed the excess fence posts to follow the arched shape. Repeat 6 times.

3. I selected very small styrene shapes to form the top and bottom mullions on to the top and bottom of the arched shaped pieces.  Making sure they are not too thick vertically, make up the mullions first (3 pieces T & B) and once dried glue in place.

Sorry LS, but will need to call it a night, There’s a few more steps which I will post tomorrow.

Shoot through any questions – no worries.

Seriously considering the Heller 1:100 Victory as my next project.

Thanks,

Johnny D.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Johnny D, that is a very detailed and well laid out explanation of the method you have used. It certainly is worth doing for anyone who would like to achieve the superbly re modelled Stern that you have produced. Please may l suggest that you also copy and post the full details on your own build log. There will be, in the future, others following in your footsteps who will be wanting to emulate you and your superb build.

I shall be following your build now it is up and running. 

Sometime mid last month l got to the stage where I just could not proceed with my build. I was spending more and more time just scratching my head and pondering over the growing complications of the instructions/plans. In short, l needed a break. I cleared my bench and walked away. Yesterday I decided it was time to take another look. The instructions were just as confusing but the Gremlins were gone so l had a look at the Fore Mast.

In the first two pictures you can see the For Lower Mast, and the Fore Topmast in position. 

20200206_171142.thumb.jpg.1f7d094ae662ab5a1686d73a8acd0d30.jpg

You can also see fitted, the Fore Top, the challenge here was the fitting of the Fore Top Trees. Also fitted is the Top Rail. 

20200206_171302.thumb.jpg.1c50abe8db35d62220cc1500fc6c7c79.jpg

The next shot shows the Fore Top Mast Top with Tressle and Cross Trees.

20200206_173109.thumb.jpg.29e21199a6e17cee46ad8bf21ba7b400.jpg

Finaly, the Fore Topgallant and Pole Mast (built as one piece)

20200206_175927.thumb.jpg.6ff8de74b5876a483c79e31ffd4a267c.jpg

Here is where l am now. 

20200206_180010.thumb.jpg.9f87542fd55f7240747f94aa819549e3.jpg

During my next session l will fit the yards and, time permitting, slap a bit of paint on.

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint 

Session.         Time.           Total.  

44.                    6 hrs.            147. 

Edited by The Lazy Saint

Hi LS,  it looks like the break worked, it is good to see you advancing your Victory, which is looking good.👍😃

I think you are doing a great job at this small scale. 

Cheers. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words Edward, appreciated as always. 

I changed my mind overnight and, rather than work on the Yards l opted to work on the Main Mast.

The first shot is of the underside of the Fore Mast, from yesterday's work.

20200207_103204.thumb.jpg.fa264434052e4e369ce8551cc81f1293.jpg

Shot two, the Main Lower Mast and the Main Top.

20200207_105754.thumb.jpg.210f40a0a8ea461d6db9bb700dd835ed.jpg

Here you can see the Main Top mast fitted. 

20200207_120135.thumb.jpg.e130d3bcd3a25ca6b804cf6afc4ab073.jpg

And shot two of the same.

20200207_120209.thumb.jpg.d904c336bfd90e79aae42f924989f80a.jpg

The final sections fitted, the Main Topgallant and Pole Mast, again fitted as one piece,  and the Main Top Mast Top.

20200207_122318.thumb.jpg.e564b98c16740f026a0031a4c535831c.jpg

Once again, a second shot of the same.

20200207_122356.thumb.jpg.b9586e78c88043d9b1e324acfdfca27e.jpg

Here is a shot from bellow, unfortunately the right hand Tressle Tree has warped to the right slightly. I will have to re do that as my first task of my next session. 

20200207_123054.thumb.jpg.4dbace6e16f6930404aad519f5d50ba9.jpg

And here is where I am now. They are nice and straight and even, well, apart from that Tressle Tree. 

20200207_133500.thumb.jpg.6ac8aff26f7453e2ed823913d05bf5de.jpg

During my next session l hope to be able to complete the Mizzen Mast Assembly.

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

45.                    5 hrs.            152. 

Hi LS

I've just found your Victory log, and wanted to add my compliments on a great build so far. I'm particularly impressed that you've managed such a lot of progress in just 152 hours (I daren't time my builds as I spend far too much time faffing around and re-working!).

Derek

P.S. I used to live near you, in Cliftonville (sounds posher than saying Margate)

Edited by DelF

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Hi LS,

Great you are back, sometimes a break away from  modelling is good so you can recharge your batteries.  You are making progress and its coming along nicely. The rigging is extremely complex and requires patients of a saint.  Looking forward to see you continue to completion.  I will post the method I used for building the stern as you suggested on my blog.  Keep up the great work.

Thanks,

Johnny D.

Hi all,

Hi Derek, thanks for looking in and your kind words. I, like you, spend a lot of time "faffing" around and head scratching so l know what you mean. How long ago did you move away 🤔 l don't expect it has changed much.

On 2/8/2020 at 7:39 PM, Retired guy said:

I too have step back when I get stuck on how I need to build something and the funny thing when I do come back to it I find away and it goes together just as I wanted,

Too true Richard, l find though the trick is to have a break, but not for too long. 👍

Johnny D, l am very impressed with your rigging, l hope l am able to manage as well as you. You are quite right, it is very complex 

On 2/9/2020 at 1:46 AM, Johnny D said:

The rigging is extremely complex and requires patients of a saint. 

A Lazy Saint l hope 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for your kind words Mugje, it encourages as you know. Your Pickle is a masterpiece, good luck with your next project. 

Well, today went as planed for me and l am pleased with the results.

My first task was the building of the Mizzen Mast Assembly and the first shot is of the Mizzen Lower Mast and Mizzen Top Mast plus, of course, the Mizzen Top. Each Mast has been easier to build than the one previous, unsurprising really as each (apart from size) has been identical. 

20200210_132324.thumb.jpg.fef7f927ea2638d864443a6673c26b35.jpg

Second shot shows the Mizzen Topgallant and Pole Mast plus the Mizzen Top Mast Top. 

20200210_151027.thumb.jpg.5c2c37f1ac8902d5cb421d26a5406ff7.jpg

I also managed to splash a bit of colour on. 

Fore Mast. 

20200210_155602.thumb.jpg.fd4e53c25718d6036628b5953cf20a50.jpg

Main Mast. 

20200210_155609.thumb.jpg.7882ffb6c4e3d4046589802c85b70f1c.jpg

Mizzen Mast. 

20200210_155616.thumb.jpg.d330c3c589e3b2faaa14dcfb411f284a.jpg

And here is where I am now 

Front favouring Starboard. 

20200210_155957.thumb.jpg.29ba42089f28cb968a18890ba2b31f56.jpg

Front favouring Port.

20200210_160026.thumb.jpg.3ac669a628342d9300f7c6c3c1890a69.jpg

My next session will involve sanding the correct tapers to the Yards. I have already completed the Fore Mast Yards so that leaves those of the Main Mast and Mizzen Mast. 

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

46.                    4 hrs.            156. 

Looking good! I always think models really come to life when all their masts are stepped and you get an impression of their overall size. 

2 hours ago, The Lazy Saint said:

How long ago did you move away 🤔 l don't expect it has changed much.

I lived in Thanet from 1973 to 1990; and you're right, it hasn't changed much. Others will judge whether that's a good thing or not!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

very Nice indeed, she looks very clean and tidy

i must admit i miss doing a 1st rate, but doubt i will do another one, perhaps a 3rd rate will appear on my workbench one day in the future, until then i have plenty to do

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

On 2/10/2020 at 7:30 PM, DelF said:

Looking good! I always think models really come to life when all their masts are stepped and you get an impression of their overall size

I agree Derek, in fact, the rigging has been one of my favourite aspects of the two builds l have tackled to date.

I arrived here in Thanet in 1990, we must have just missed each other, 🤣

Thanks also to both Kevin and Richard for you kind words.

Today l managed quite a bit of work on the yards, although a lot of time was spent achieving the correct tapers l still managed a bit of construction. 

Here they are shaped to the correct tapers (l think/hope) l am sure.20200211_135746.thumb.jpg.6be3973444c9b340d8bede3a3322e339.jpg

I have painted the Yards black and am, at this stage, attaching the Studding Sail Boom's and the Boom Irons.

20200211_165335.thumb.jpg.f399ecbe615258859d3a736c84859e7c.jpg

Here is where I am now. Tomorrow l will start by painting the base of the booms, plus the tips and Irons, black. The middle section of the Booms will be Yellow ochre. 

20200211_175846.thumb.jpg.0238e0ad044ef5ea6f59f816b4308b80.jpg

If time allows, and with a little luck, l may also attach the first blocks. 

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

47.                    5 hrs.            161. 

Hi all,

Only time for a short session today but l did manage to complete the paintwork.

All ready now for attaching blocks and things prior to mounting. 

20200212_094847.thumb.jpg.bb4cf9ec6a3416a9b0dd190c5dc9d68a.jpg

20200212_094913.thumb.jpg.62a1d27e8ec19b9a73bd5e2d5b5c14f7.jpg

20200212_095008.thumb.jpg.cc258d0a6e38f3c94fc11b17c3de003f.jpg

l don't know why l found the need for three pictures but, as l have taken them, you may as well see them.

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

48.                    2 hrs.            163. 

We do like to see all the angles LS ^_^:D

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the kind words Edward and Richard, appreciated. Today l managed another 3 hours at the bench. My mission today was to fit the 12 single blocks to the Bowsprit, fiddly but relaxing. It will soon be time for the Deadeyes....... l hope l can say the same about them.

First image shows the job half way through with six blocks fitted. 

20200216_113229.jpg.cc255c5448207d9f84f6c0f4b2339b5c.jpg

Here is a view showing all twelve. 

20200216_115749.thumb.jpg.339606e231f08b05994b572e94ca9dee.jpg

And another......

20200216_120835.thumb.jpg.ed436e6d32a7486efcf05e9d687daabf.jpg

Next session will see more blocks fitted, in fact, fitting Blocks and Deadeyes will be a main feature in my life for quite a few days to come. 

Thanks for looking in.

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

49.                   3 hrs.            166.

Hi all,

More Blocks today.

Work on Horses and Stirrups underway. 

20200217_114053.thumb.jpg.667a288dcb9e919e4b1d0b815de13241.jpg

Here is an example of the "cats cradle" which the builder has to decipher. 🤣

20200217_082019.thumb.jpg.a88350a530aceb6735f1d7a083433e12.jpg

Here is an example of my own "cats cradle"

20200217_131812.thumb.jpg.9e8db7d49c0f474d1ed09bf99efd17ef.jpg

Here is where I am now. Slow but sure.

20200217_132139.thumb.jpg.a10fdf3c1959779402e07a5c73b6d90a.jpg

Time for a break. More of the same for the next session so, untill then.....

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

50.                   3 hrs.            169. 

1 hour ago, The Lazy Saint said:

Here is an example of the "cats cradle" which the builder has to decipher. 🤣

20200217_082019.thumb.jpg.a88350a530aceb6735f1d7a083433e12.jpg

Seriously?  That's all you get?  I would have no clue what to do with that!  I sure hope there are more and better resources online for this... Or at least a detailed rigging plan... I hope to do a Victory someday, but this alone would put me off of this particular kit.  Best of luck to you LS.

Edited by DonInAZ

Current Build: Chesapeake Bay Flattie by Midwest Products

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff by Midwest Products

19 hours ago, DonInAZ said:

Seriously?  That's all you get?  I would have no clue what to do with that!  I sure hope there are more and better resources online for this... Or at least a detailed rigging plan... I hope to do a Victory someday, but this alone would put me off of this particular kit.  Best of luck to you LS.

It looks wild. I have not done any riffing yet but I am sure you can do it.

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the best wishes, and votes of confidence, they are a real help through this daunting task. My plan is to attach all the Blocks and Deadeyes before even thinking of the rigging, once they are all fitted l am sure the rigging will be clear 🤣

Today saw the completion of the yards.

20200218_091232.thumb.jpg.901604f3dbdf532c5750df915652af70.jpg

20200218_091246.thumb.jpg.9656f9615292acb33f5169e8371ed165.jpg

20200218_091256.thumb.jpg.b487b69ec94a9b41aa930bb4f96baee3.jpg

Not to forget the Fore and Main Mast Topgallant Yards.20200218_124021.thumb.jpg.0c63539c3584dc8da5b9c4562405b367.jpg

I also managed to fit some of the Formast Yard Tackle Blocks.

CSC_0378.JPG.ef0c06992847884bbf081ede307429ab.JPG

CSC_0379.JPG.a2abccc2d759e1921051d7e3c83c1f67.JPG

Here you can see the Fore Mast and Main Mast with their Topgallant Yards in place. (Dry fitted at this stage of course)

20200218_131157.thumb.jpg.88d3186fa796150c82450840c864da3f.jpg

Final shot showing where I am now. 

20200218_131629.thumb.jpg.e58b606e7bf4fcc8dcdb8424f61ffdee.jpg

I am now 42 Blocks in and l have to say tying them is becoming a little easier. Repetition of the task instills a little dexterity in old fingers l guess. 

During my next session....................... more Blocks 🤣

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

51.                   4 hrs.            173. 

You're doing a grand job LS keep up the good work and Victory will look fantastic 😁

Current builds;

Completed:

Looking good LS. Being nosey, I couldn't help noticing the book on the Night Sky beside your workbench. You're not an astronomer as well are you?

Derek

P.S. I also notice your bench is considerably tidier than mine - probably explains why you are able to make such quick progress!

Cheers, Derek