PT 105 by mog - FINISHED - Dumas - 1:30 scale

Agreed, Awesome work. This looks like it will possibly be the most detailed and accurate PT build in existence when finished!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Fabricated the throttle control bars, the mufflers are molded from resin.

I think its time to paint the hull and deck next.

Thanks guys  for your kind comments,  not so sure about one of the most detailed PTs , that’s more in the realm of a master builder , not a simple boat builder, trying to be accurate is important to me on this build , the real test comes from the experts at ptboatforum .com  again thank you.

tc.JPG

Current Build:   Not a ship 

Completed Builds:   Mississippi River Boat OcCre 1:80

Bluenose, Model Shipways 1:48

Rattlesnake, Model Shipways 1:64

Dumas # 1233  PT Boat,  Wood, 1:30 

1914-1918 US Army Mule drawn Ambulance 1:16 

• 3 weeks later...

Canvas spray shield attached to the aft gun tub. Tub not attached yet so it’s placed at an angle  for photo purpose

The “Canvas” process --Took a piece of old cotton tee shirt, stretched it out very tight tacked it down, several coats of spray primer was applied to both sides, followed by several coats of tan/ OD green  regular cv1.thumb.JPG.efcffcae7e7ec5097bd29f0beeace489.JPGcv2.thumb.JPG.1651f57bb506b081d6e1db685f6dbac0.JPGcv3.thumb.JPG.e6058a1076c9644189a15b5e1d45e79b.JPGcan  spray paint   The drying, spraying process made the cotton stiff. Glued a plastic rod to the top to hold its shape, then made holes 5 mm apart in the top, sewed to the rail with rigging line treated with wax and white glue solution.  Ship rigging experience came in handy here.

Added the hull drain & bilge ports ready for clean-up & weathering

looking great Mike!  I've been wanting to mention that I found instructions for the 50 cal and deck gun........found them on the Shapeways site.   you must have gotten the mufflers from there as well.  did your kit have the vacuum form mufflers or wood?.......I got the wood ones......not cool.   I'm thickening them up so I can sand them in the oval shape PT boats are known for.   have you done anything with the rudders and props yet?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I got my mufflers  direct from the  designer in Spain , same  panzer& tanks s guy who has designs on shapeways , however he did not like the way they were printing  some  of his work so s he’s now went Independent works in resin much stronger at smaller scale . My kit came with both types of mufflers  did not like either,  holding of on the underside of the hull until I decide a final display look.

I do recall seeing listed parts from fellow with a similar user name.........you mentioned this earlier....cool :)     yea......I just got the wood muffler plugs..way too thin to be taken as real  :D  I'd order more......but I'm getting serious rebuttals .........guess I'll be doing a lot of scratch

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Feel the rebuttal pain, I’ve keep track of the added costs to date, turned around receipts on a clipboard, safely hidden in the shop,  to be honest once I cleared a couple hundred , I have not had the guts to look , holden 8702 he does very good work, problem  is he’s so back logged , I might have to go back to shape ways to get more figures, buying off the rack so to speak, which is more expensive, because its thru them, however I just can’t wait maybe 3-4 months  for him.

• 4 weeks later...

Scratch built  Weathered life raft to be stowed on the day cabin.    Salt, tropical conditions, sun all  took there tole on the rafts

rf5.JPG

rf4.JPG

rf3.JPG

rf2.JPG

rf1.JPG

cool life raft! :)  I just assembled the outer ring........now to sand it all down.  the detail looks cool too!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Once again Test fitting the superstructure , always looking  for flaws , the hull colour will  lighten up, by mixing in some battleship grey, still thinking about the deck & topside weathering & chipping

q1.JPG

q2.JPG

q3.JPG

look'in really good Mike! :)    what color green is it?  I think it's the same color I bought........I went to try it out to see how it would look,  and I found that the can was bad :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the deck paint is  Black Grey by Vallejo model Air 

hmmmmmm....looks like there is some green to it.  what I have {had}....is a Rustoleum 'camouflage' color.....it's non reflective.  deep forest green

1957456066_1.jpg.eb2a28b5f842c1ccb8b4545a5e35cdbf.jpg

184877748_2.jpg.67ca31b48e44a7e467e3959933435ac5.jpg

looks brownish in the pictures,  but it's the light..........very close to a true olive drab.  doing searches,  I've seen many shades of green. Pacific theater boats were mostly olive drab........or an equivalent shade due to fading.   Kennedy's boat {PT 101} when he was stationed at the canal,  was gray.

I've also been comparing this model to the Revell model.......your model bears the resemblances in many ways........very nice :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...

adding some early details to prevent breakage fitting other items  later in the process

v1.JPG

v2.JPG

v3.JPG

looks great Mike! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Added the spent cartage tubes under the gun mounts

sp1.JPG

sp2.JPG

hey there BigDad.   I answered part of your question on my log........S4 runs along the deck where the structures go.   do take care in how you trim them,  as I don't think that the instructions are right.   S1 are for the sheer stringers and S2 are for the chine stringers.  be sure to label them so you don't mix them up.   you will have to fit them so they join the bow stem....sloppy fit there...... ;)   your is probably like mine......die cut.........too bad the parts weren't laser cut......they might fit better.  I also tried not to cement the bulkheads to the build board........you will need to.   all those tabs get cut off afterwards anyway.   follow diagram #1 which shows a the hull frame and a cut away view.   I do agree with you though.......the instructions could be better,  but then again,  most kits aren't.  Mike has a lot of really neat aftermarket for his.......Shapeways has a lot!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Made the Bridge Fluorescent light using  the ELCO plans. Several adjustments had to be made to get the scale close, working this small its mainly what looks right rather than perfect scale. 

fl1.JPG

fl2.JPG

About finished with the cockpit area,

the windshield, a real pain, metal, plastic, drilling hole for pins, paint & canopy glue do not want to work well toughter, without looking like a 5-year-old tossed it all toughter.  after 4 attempts I was at the end of my rope, but it was almost there, when Murphy showed up, a very slight slip of the hand & I took a chunk out of the std screen. Not wanting to start over for shot # 5 I turned the error into battle damage, which I have not shown clearly in the pics as it still needs a bit of work. The windshield weathering became easy after that. Installed the control panel and added the fluorescent light, compass, and torpedo director, them weathered the entire area. Again, there are many different ways to approach this build, all have there own merits, my vision here is to depict a boat that has seen action and exposure to the tropical elements of the pacific.  

cp4.JPG

cp2.JPG

cp1.JPG

really nice work........you've captured the looks after hard battle ;)    you've got some good detail there :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Attached torpedo tubes , training gear, TP Tube locks, and tube wiring plugs

tg1.JPG

tg2.JPG

tg3.JPG

• 1 month later...

Have not posted for a while as most of the work has been on the repetitive side. Update: the105 boat is 99% complete. All the major work is complete, has been for about a month.  the remaining work being added is dependent on the on finishing the water on the base. The base is very much a work in progress, many hours to go. The palm trees, have one fully completed mainly to make sure my technique would yield the look I wanted, if I did them one at a time its 5 days start to finish, building in bulk steps I have completed the trunks for 19 trees, the palm fronds , made from feathers takes the most time. 10 days to finish the water, 1 day drying time between coats, and maybe a month to finish the background. So much work ahead, but it’s getting there

l1.JPG

l2.JPG

l3.JPG

l4.JPG

she looks fantastic........great idea on the display.   does this mean your not going to add the props and rudders.......in a display,  they won't be seen or needed ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks guys,  its been a big project, I have learned many new skills , but I think its going to be smaller scales down the road, cost, space, availability are the big drivers.  I have the props and rudders , the boat will not be attached to the base,  so she can be displayed on a static stand if an occasion would ever call for it