HMS Victory by Daliab - FINISHED - Mantua/Panart

I have a question.  When you laid out your gunpoint openings using the cardboard pattern supplied with the kit, did you have any openings with a bulkhead showing in the opening? I laid my pattern on the side to check it before planking and a couple ports would have a bulkhead showing in the side of the port. I'm thinking I may have to shift a couple ports about a 1/4  inch.

Mark Frazier 

I'm building the Panart bow section and definitely had to move the ports- this and other patterns I have used are usually only guides. Try a small center hole and see - remember also height of sills relate to the cannon/deck height which may not be the same as allowed for by the pattern. 

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

11 hours ago, mfrazier said:

I have a question.  When you laid out your gunpoint openings using the cardboard pattern supplied with the kit, did you have any openings with a bulkhead showing in the opening? I laid my pattern on the side to check it before planking and a couple ports would have a bulkhead showing in the side of the port. I'm thinking I may have to shift a couple ports about a 1/4  inch.

Mark Frazier 

Yeah, you need to be careful when you mark the openings of the gun ports. What I did was to draw a pencil line from the top deck down to the waterline. There isn't much room between gun ports and the bulkheads. If you get the bottom row good, you may find a bulkhead that interferes with a gun port in on row 2. The gun ports you want to keep an eye on are the ones closest to the stern side galleries and the 2 ports close to the steering wheel. I found the best place to start was the curved arch by those ports. If you get the port to close to the curved arch position, you'll have a different problem.  I did end up getting a bulkhead close to one of the gun port openings and took a X-Acto and trimmed it back and painted it black.

STUGLO was correct in his quote of "height of sills relate to the cannon/deck height which may not be the same as allowed for by the pattern".  The six gun port openings for the six cannons on the top deck were an issue for me.  Those six gun port openings could have been moved up about 1/8".  When I installed the cannons, the barrels couldn't be placed in the openings.  The barrels keep hitting the top of the gun port opening. I had to cut the wheels on those and place the cannon frame on the deck and glue the wheels to the side.  In addition, I had to aim the cannons down a little bit.

20200417_100950.thumb.jpg.fcfa55730f9386b81f2ddfbc236092cf.jpg

Edited by Daliab

thanks for the link. our kits are the same except yours has the copper plates , life boats , and ships wheel. Mine actually came with the life boats and wheels so the only thing I am missing is the copper plates which I didn't care about anyway. Every bit helps.

Mark Frazier

I have been trying g to figure out the sides up towards the front of the deck.    ( the instructions say nothing and the print is hard to tell). How does the kit say to do this? Is there a "layer" of planks on the outside edge with a cap rail on top? and the post rails just inside them? This kit seems to handle this area differently than the other builds I  have looked at.

Mark Frazier

Your build is looking really good.

Edited by mfrazier
Info

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been able to work on the Vic lately.  Having to remove old decking off of my 36 x 50 foot backyard deck and replacing it with composite decking.  I thought working on the Vic took a lot of time.  The last couple of rainy days has allowed me to work on one of the lifeboats.

20200523_164449_resized.jpg.d2f1c8b1d14e8a96174b31ac82e7aade.jpg20200526_133408_resized.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All channels and lanterns installed.

Anyone notice the difference between the number of deadeyes that are on the model's middle channel and what is shown on the blueprints?

Only one of a number of inconsistencies between the model and the instructions/blueprints supplied.

20200702_135753_resized.jpg.1475c63d9de2b48cf03ec8a7ada7b824.jpg

20200702_140253_resized.jpg.b2b385ae1c009402b0ea4b46d3ae84a9.jpg

20200702_140213_resized.jpg.de0ea4c9bf40efa93d0dcab85abe5e00.jpg

Kevin, one of the moderators on the website pointed out that he thought the small deadeye was incorrect in the above channel.

Upon further research, I went to John McKay's Anatomy of the ship, The 100-Gun Ship Victory.

He was correct.  The Mantua blueprint is incorrect.

The first picture is from the blueprint (INCORRECT INFO).  The second one is from John McKay's book (CORRECT INFO).

Thanks Kevin

20200702_144136_resized.jpg.fdcc968c2fda2a0499cb6fe14e25d239.jpg  20200702_144412_resized.jpg.bc52d3bf8b6db4291b84db15cf6eafaf.jpg

i deleted the message after i posted and went to find the book to give the info, but it has been put away, so  juat taken a photo of mine, no doubt thats wrong as well, but i went by mcKays and others, the fact that mine is the caldercraft should make no difference

IMG_6991.JPG

IMG_6992.JPG

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

13 minutes ago, Kevin said:

i deleted the message after i posted and went to find the book to give the info, but it has been put away, so  juat taken a photo of mine, no doubt thats wrong as well, but i went by mcKays and others, the fact that mine is the caldercraft should make no difference

IMG_6991.JPG

IMG_6992.JPG

Kevin, out of curiosity, where do the four of these lines go to on your model?

1.jpg.06960c84d6ed31d5044d4ebdf669fde4.jpg

10 hours ago, Daliab said:

10 hours ago, Daliab said:

Kevin, out of curiosity, where do the four of these lines go to on your model?

1.jpg.06960c84d6ed31d5044d4ebdf669fde4.jpg

i can try and answer later today, but im sure you will find the answer here, On Gil Middleton.s build, i tried and failed to copy his work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Working on the bow and found an easier way to thread the rigging around the bowsprit.  Didn't have a needle long enough to thread the rigging around the the bowsprit but ended up gluing the thread to a thin piece of wood and used it as the needle.  Sure made it much easier.

20200705_171008_resized.jpg.3f3ae8d61e4dd85155dbf6745c36788f.jpg 20200705_171222_resized.jpg.92c9b03a8412fe211993d027d4d92e37.jpg  20200705_173412_resized.jpg.9e11070917aca5269b95457d9522f8bd.jpg 20200706_182401.thumb.jpg.56b184973104d5ea4479a1adfb1fcce3.jpg

On my very first model, I put sails on it that were fully deployed.  This time, I decided to put sails on the Vic but have them furled.  This is my first attempt to add them to a ship furled. I didn't want to hide all of the rigging.  I tried this a couple of times and didn't like the sails so tight against the yards and ended up with is pictured below.   I wanted the sails to be a little loose to show some of the sail.  

20200708_153102_resized.jpg.53e03bc3371ff6e05930cc8cfb6b23b9.jpg

UPDATE: conversed via email with Tom Lauria about one of his posted videos.  He made a suggestion of using silkspan for the furled sails instead of the heavier weight fabric I used in the above picture.  I took his advice and and removed the furled sails and waiting for silkspan material to arrive in the mail Monday.  Let's see the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Took Tom Lauria's advice and used silkspan for the sails instead of the lightest weight muslin the local fabric store carried. I think this one looks less bulky and when wet, it was much easier to fold and tie to the yard. I believe I will use silkspan on all of my furled sails.

20200723_145256.thumb.jpg.7fe2e743b4b6b09b3b03b4f6e4dff330.jpg

Looking great and glad to see you have made a brave decision to rig the sails!

You might find this thread about furling the sails useful... not sure how the other members tightened the sails on the yard ends with more slack near the mast in the middle but I think that would look fantastic on your model coming from someone who has never attempted it before.

Getting better making sliksapn sails.  Many will say that the furled sails are too loose.  You're right but, I wanted to expose more of the sails in a furled position than a sail rolled up in a tight mass.  To this novice, I think it looks better for the overall presentation of the model.

20200724_141809.thumb.jpg.bed4d078ea4fd0efba632fd2280bce66.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

While waiting for missing parts to arrive from model ship venders, I managed to build/mount all three masts.

Warning: For those who may order a Mantua/Panart HMS Victory 738 kit, I was missing 70 each 7mm single blocks, 11 each 7mm double blocks, the wrong size belaying pins.  Pins were to short to extend below the belaying rack holders to tie ropes on each one.  Some may say you should have done an inventory of pieces supplied.  Problem the kit they currently sell today is the same kit sold years ago and the instructions show pictures of stuff they don't even cover.  All of the accessories were packaged in a hard plastic units that were mounted on a cardboard panel.  You can't loose any pieces unless you open everything and loose track of the parts.  Unfortunately, you don't know what your missing until you get to that part of the build when those parts are needed.  I've emailed the Mantua vender in the UK where I purchased the kit from and still haven't heard back from them... don't expect to either.  The issue is with the worldwide pandemic, lots of modelers are spending time on their models.  I've noticed that a lot of suppliers are out of models and accessories parts with no date when they expect to be resupplied.  I do have to say that the Mantua/Panart HMS Victory 738 has been a fun build, just a little irritated that parts were missing.

20200807_173654_resized.jpg.65dabf32de8548df70b308bd7021bdd1.jpg

Those sails looks fantastic, really nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)