Revell P-51"Flying Dutchman" 1/32 by Javlin- Finished

Javlin

Popeye the sailor, 

Thanks for the link. Cool story and I have seen/been to the opera of 'Die Fliegende Hollander' from Richard Wagner. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

your welcome...though I do have to apologize for going off topic.  this is one of Revell's more popular kits....the 'miss Marilyn' is another.......actually a spin off of this kit.  model companies have a habit of this practice...this one was easy,  merely needing to change the decal sheet ;)   I've been delving into the subject of 'nose art'  for a while now......some of the reasons for naming their aircraft are rather interesting,  and I can agree that Lou gave a pretty good synopsis on Gorbel's mindset when he named his plane.   the P 51 was a deadly adversary in the air,  used widely in air acrobatics,  it was a very nimble plane......he likely viewed her as his harbinger of death,  with the record that he held at the time.

I also apologize to you as well Kevin.......after looking at pictures of the plane,  the anti glare does come to a point at the nose......you are correct sir ;) :imNotWorthy:

1098772477_Gorbelsmustang.jpg.2db900bf3c83d8f3a685b94c76b37bd0.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

........and I'm sure that the decal sheet is just as 'crisp'  ;)    I have a B 25 as well.......haven't decided on the name yet.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

great looking plane  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

not much to add for the past week did get the Fuel Tanks added and applied about three more coats of clear.I am now thinking about adding the some lines between the tank and the wing should of thought that before hand but I'll get there.The other plane is a quick build 1/48 Revell P-51 B/C D-Day Polish will be it's markings.

p51 001.JPG

p51 002.JPG

p51 003.JPG

p51 004.JPG

This crate is getting close to finish gunsight,canopy,front windscreen,lights and antenna.The wash is complete with a semi-gloss enamel applied I don't know if the pics you see the lines from the auxiliary tanks.The plane has some of her faults but overall I am satisfied I would like to "American Beauty" but save that for the 1/24 I have and paint the colors.The 315 bird has the silver applied I did a primer this time buffed it then shot the lacquer gloss black hit it with semi-flat AL topside and it was to flat for me it says bare metal not painted!I then hit it with Airframe AL which is usually pretty bright looks good up top but on the bottom well you will see straight on the gloss.

p51 006.JPG

p51 008.JPG

p51 009.JPG

p51 010.JPG

p51 003.JPG

p51 004.JPG

Edited by Javlin

very nicely done..........on both fronts. ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very nice! 👍. What’s next?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

the Fokker is one of my favorites :)   I have a Guillow's in the closet at the moment....20 inch wing span.  I'm going to be modeling it from the Raben's Ravens,  Jasta 18

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

So I introduced this little version here figured I finish it here.The last coat of clear has been applied to which I still need to do the yellow leading wing bands the decals broke apart old.I believe I used the roundels that the decal sheet called for but the pic above shows the yellow outline while I can still see distance that close stuff...well?I used stainless  instead of magnesium around the exhaust and an extra silver out in the field.I should a used the flash.

p51 001.JPG

p51 002.JPG

p51 003.JPG

p51 004.JPG

I saw a kit that looked a lot like this one........really nice work :)    I notice you have a second color on the trailing edges and what appears to be access panels....what color is it?  looks interesting......adds contrast to the model.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I've built a D VII from Jasta 18........Raben's Ravens :)   August Raben was the squadron Comander..........I don't see that name in the roster.  their planes were red and white and featured a raven on the fuselage sides

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Javlin, beautiful model & really great weathering. I have always loved P-51's & we had 4 or so in our squadron for mostly towing targets. That was back in the late 1940's & we had Col. Glenn Eagleston as our C.O. He was a great guy & the top ace in the 9th AF during WW2. I have his P-51 D in 1/32 & 1/48. I love fighters & have over 150 from 1910 to modern. 

Have you done any 1930's fighters like the P-26?

Thanks Gene for the compliments as to the P-26 I have one built the old Hase kit in 1/32.I ordered two of those Revell P-51's Monday in 1/32 can't have to many P-51's.I generally build from WWII since my father was in the 92nd BG but I do have some stringer's from the 30's and a few jets up into the 50/60's.

Man Cave 013.JPG

Man Cave 001.JPG

1 hour ago, yvesvidal said:

What a terrific collection. You Sir, love planes.

Yves

Yeah with the history my father had and being an AF brat saw a lot of planes growing up and I am really not that old being born in 61 but I come from a large family Yves been twelve of us if they all survived birth ended up with seven.I like ships to they just take so much time I live 1/3 mile from the Gulf of Mexico as the crow flies.I learned from a fella Bill Runnels who was a Bombardier in the 303rd we use to communicate on another forum in private chat he reminded alot of my father in some ways in how life was simple back then anyway he mentioned how they had to practice in Gulfport's Backbay   in winter survival ditching for in the ocean.Bill passed away not to long ago about a year or so a good man.A short story of his......

Short Burst
On days when our squadron did not fly a mission proficiency checks, both squadron and individual,
flights were ordered. We hated these feeling we should have the day off. On such a day our crew was
assigned a "bombing" check flight. I was to drop five 100 lb practice bombs from 10,000 ft. We were
standing by the aircraft when a jeep pulled up to the hard stand. Out stepped Col, William C. Sipes,
303rd Bomb Group Commander. He informed us he was going to ride along. That made this 19 year
old 2LT a little nervous to say the least. The Col. occupied the co-pilot seat. We took off, made the five
bomb runs. I folded up shop and stretched out on the floor. A few minutes later I heard "co-pilot to
bombardier, what is our location". I had no idea as I had been relaxing. I took a quick look and didn't
see a thing I recognized so replied "Sir, I don't know". He said if you will look straight down you will
see our base and the intercom went silent. I thought, boy am I in trouble and expected to receive some
rather firm comments from the Col. after landing. I dropped out of the nose hatch of the B-17 when on
the ground and waited. Col. Sipes deplaned and headed strait for me. I came to attention and when he
got about ten feet from me, he pointed his finger and with a smile said "Gotcha". He then
complimented me on the accuracy of my five bomb runs, got in his jeep and drove off. Boy was I
relieved. A week or so later I was assigned Lead Bombardier status.
It’s nice to have a boss with a sense of humour and understanding. He was a great pilot. Had access to
one of the newest spitfires. If you were lucky enough to see him take off you set down and watched the
show. I had one other personal encounter with him that speaks well of his character. Following VE-Day
he decided The Group under his command
should have a formal Victory Parade, class A uniforms and a band. He rounded up a bunch of band
instruments and called for volunteers. I played baritone and Col. Sipes played tuba in the band rather
than being on the review stand. I have searched for footage of this band passing in review without
success until a month ago. One of our Sons found it on You Tube. What a wonderful momento to have.
2/

Edited by Javlin