Paul Gardner

Greetings from Tacoma. Have I taken too big a bite?

Although I've built a couple solid hull models, I came across an unopened Model Shipways Fair American for $50 and couldn't pass it up.  However, after looking at the instruction book, I must admit to a bit of trepidation.  I've never built a plank on model before and wonder if this will be a suitable first build for me, or if I've taken too big a bite for my first time.  Any comments?  Also, I'd like to to give a shout out to any and all model ship builders in the Tacoma area.  I've read many posts on this site, and it seems like there are plenty of folks that are willing to give advice.  That's an encouragement.

Paul, welcome to MSW. It is a great place to learn how to navigate through the maze and I expect you will get honest answers from members who know the kit in question.

Can I suggest you study build logs and see if the problems begin to look less intimidating? Especially interesting at the moment is this:

Rest assured, you will not find a problem that someone hasn't already solved.

Bruce

Thank you for your reply.  I've  been reading the logs, and can see where I will have to really buckle down and learn the skill.  This instruction half hull looks like a place to start, so thank you for the notice.

Paul, welcome to MSW.  This project is designed in such a way that a true novice should not have much problem.  The only power tool I used was a Dremel, and even that is not necessary.  The following was stolen from Kurt's announcement in the Nautical Research Guild announcement section.

We can now take orders for the Half Hull Planking Kit

The kit is not yet listed at the NRG Store, and when it is, we will update this, but we can now take orders through the NRG Office.  Call the office directly or send an email.  See the NRG web site for the phone and email.  (Not listed here to thwart robots/spammers) 

The price is $65.00 for non-NRG members.  NRG members get the member’s 20% discount price of $52.00.  Prices are plus shipping.

US shipping is $15.00.  Canada shipping is $20.00.  Other non-US shipping is $26.00.

Expected shipping is the week of 10-22-19. 

And if you are lucky, Mary will convince you to join the Guild as well!

Welcome! Whatever kit you choose I hope you have a blast with it. Small correction to the above, US shipping is only $10 for the Half Hull Planking Kit.

Gidday Paul and another warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

I heartily support Bruce in post #2 re searching the build logs.

I find the logs very informative and there are some very innovative solutions provided.

As to your question about biting off too much, you are the best judge of your abilities and skill level.

I also agree with the comments re the Half Hull as there is merit in learning planking before embarking on a kit.

You will find the members here possess a wealth of knowledge and support is freely given.

If I may I would like to proffer a couple of pieces of friendly advice,

Read and re-read the instructions.

Study the plans and study them again.

Dry fit as much as possible, leave the glue unopened until you are sure of how things go together.

Search the build logs here.

Above all - Enjoy yourself, this is not meant to be a chore.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours and I am looking forward to your progress.

Mark.

Edited by pontiachedmark
Missing letter

Welcome to MSW, Paul.  I suggest taking Toni's advice and getting the hull planking kit.  You'll learn a lot and pretty quickly since it's not a full hull.   There's a link to the project in her signature.

Paul, welcome to MSW. For $50 what do u really have to lose apart from some of your free time.

i bit off way more than I could chew a few months ago when I started my Carrack, but I'm really enjoying the build, especially all the techniques and skills I need to learn along the way, sure I've made a few errors, but nothing I can't fix.

measure twice cut once is good , but I've learnt it's  now study 5 times, ask a few questions and do once on anything your not sure about. Take it on, and most of all, enjoy yourself.

cheers

Peter