RGL

USS Essex by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - as she appeared in February 1944 -finished

I finally got around to going to the hardware store and got a length or Merbu cut to length. A couple of layers of oil and she’s good to go. I intend on cutting the pedestals down by half then I can all all the completed catwalks which are strewn on the deck. 

I spend the entire day doing half of the funnel, the island superstructure is a whole model in itself it’s so intricate. 

11FA13B7-8DB5-424B-A3F7-CF4AA9BFBD68.jpeg

F5881D21-0DB5-496F-A83E-8C9854FF5FB5.jpeg

I’ve finally got the ship permanently mounted, it’s now safe enough to put the catwalks on as I won’t have to handle the ship. 

ive left one off that runs alongside the island and have yet to add the 54 floater net baskets and later on lots of rafts to be slung under. 

21 hours ago, RGL said:

I finally got around to going to the hardware store and got a length or Merbu cut to length. A couple of layers of oil and she’s good to go. I intend on cutting the pedestals down by half then I can all all the completed catwalks which are strewn on the deck. 

I spend the entire day doing half of the funnel, the island superstructure is a whole model in itself it’s so intricate. 

Exemplary  job on the weathering. At first glance on the top picture, that reminded me of the photos of the Bunker Hill (or maybe the Franklin) being brought into New York after their horrific damage in the Pacific. Probably the absence of anything on the flight deck added to the impression. Great log, thanks for sharing.

Harley

Excellent! The blueish colour is new to me, was it used only in the Pacific? A certain period and only on some ships? I have always had the impression that WW2 warships were grey or maybe camouflage pattern (like Bismarck). It looks great, and the rubber marks on the flight deck is also great.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Shamrock said:

Excellent! The blueish colour is new to me, was it used only in the Pacific? A certain period and only on some ships? I have always had the impression that WW2 warships were grey or maybe camouflage pattern (like Bismarck). It looks great, and the rubber marks on the flight deck is also great.

Brittish/Australian Navy WWII V&W-class destroyers were blue as well, e.g. HMAS Vendetta (1944), HMAS Stuart I00 (1942-2, 1945), HMAS Warramunga I44 (1943), and some Pacific located battleships e.g. HMS Duke of York, HMS Anson . These had a blue rectangle on the side.

Very nice details, Greg. The PE makes the model come to life ...

Edited by cog

Or Popeye uses a very old version of iOS.....

The vids don't work on my somewhat outdated Ipad, but function without problems on my new Iphone.

And to Popeye: the vids are better than the pics ;)

Jan

Edited by amateur

Greg, superb detailing on the island.

Harley, that beat up carrier was the Franklin. Took a lot of punishment, but sailed back to NY for refurbishing. Although repaired, she never went back to sea in an active commissioned status. Wiki history:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Franklin_(CV-13)