Enzo Ferrari by CDW - Tamiya - 1:12 Scale - PLASTIC

CDW

For the time being, this will be a place holder for my build thread for the 1:12 scale Tamiya Enzo Ferrari.

A photo preview of the kit box, cursory view of kit contents, and some details.

From every indication, this is a very faithful, highly detailed reproduction of the well known Enzo Ferrari. I am very much looking forward to this build, but must finish a couple of projects first before starting this one. DSCN2906.thumb.JPG.ab62e61a81717d7562e9d578ada4ed3d.JPGDSCN2908.thumb.JPG.8d5d4cc2b3b1260292bdc81d9044b86e.JPGDSCN2909.thumb.JPG.622e5796819329f751557c9b9281da91.JPGDSCN2907.thumb.JPG.d71cbdd9f10da301196e46ea146e2aec.JPG 

looks like a really detailed kit........ready to follow when your ready to start :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Neat looking hawk. We've got red-tail hawks up this way, usually loitering up over top of the tree-lines along the meadows, Would not want to be a chipmunk or squirrel around here, with the raptors we have. Or a free range cat or dog.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

the admiral likes to feed the birds....of course,  it attracts the squirrels and chipmunks.  we get regular visits from hawks..........one day the admiral got a treat when one landed in the nearby tree..   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

call it coincidence...........this afternoon,  the admiral was looking out the window,  and there was a young hawk sitting on the wires!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis, folks who put out bird feeders for our feathered friends end up attracting Da Bears. We have a pretty active black bear crew around here in the mountains.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

53 minutes ago, Canute said:

Denis, folks who put out bird feeders for our feathered friends end up attracting Da Bears. We have a pretty active black bear crew around here in the mountains.

My kids and grand kids rented a house in the mountains of Tennessee this summer. They were surprised when a big black bear jumped into the back of one of their pickup trucks.

3 hours ago, Canute said:

Denis, folks who put out bird feeders for our feathered friends end up attracting Da Bears. 

You get visits from a Chicago football team?   I'll get my coat and go quietly... coat_32.png.fc75dc71f57b91b3501940be6b71a4a2.png

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

We see some big bears here. They do strongman acts like twisting the bird feeder stanchions into pretzels. I think they're getting ready for their wintertime snoozes and eating anything they can. They are omnivores, remember.

Ken

been lucky in that respect.......all we've seen so far are possums,  skunks,  and one appearance by a raccoon.   every once in a while,  we even get to see turkeys out in the field across the street.  but as the squirrels and chippies congregate at the feeders,  the hawks come call'in.  we know because the Blue Jays sound the alarm!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Around here it is mostly Squirrels, Opossums, Coyotes now and then along with deer if you have a garden and no fence, and now and then the occasional Black Bear or Cougar. Of course snakes and bats are common.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

We get most of those, too. And we have some elk west of us in higher elevations. No cougars, just bobcats. Be very careful walking in our woods.

Ken

I have decided to finish the Enzo Ferrari in a carbon fiber body finish. I've seen another one finished this way and it looks quite remarkable. Am hoping I can manage to duplicate the finish I saw, but it's a first, new attempt at this and it doesn't look easy by any means. 

Before laying down the decals, the body must first be painted in a satin black as the decals are clear and the black must show through.

The carbon fiber decal set is by Scale Motorsports. Each of the nine sheets are template printed on the back and must be cut out before application. I found out after receiving this set, it calls for Scale Motorsports Decal Magic setting solution so I just placed an order for the solution. Wouldn't want to chance using some other make of setting solution and ruin these expensive decals. 

DSCN2922.thumb.JPG.534dd9000baee8f2cd12ebef7a7e29af.JPGDSCN2923.thumb.JPG.74be803936ac184cb7bcbe0ff13f8a50.JPGDSCN2925.thumb.JPG.b2741053f9e7e3367273b31d1cfc3d47.JPGDSCN2926.thumb.JPG.7d6f73576faae3fac3781167adf29f55.JPG 

This will be interesting, making the car look like it's carbon fiber. That will be cool.

Ken

WOW, looks like the stuff the bodies of many race cars are made from.

Ken

1 hour ago, CDW said:

I have been looking for quite a while at those pics. I would have believed anyone telling me these are pics of the real car, and not a model.

Jan

When these kits came out, they were selling for $600. I kept watching (for a few years actually) until I found one on Ebay that was auctioned, and I snagged this kit for a measly $227. I offered the seller a best offer of $250 which he turned down and ended up getting it for even less. Would have never bought one for the full retail price although it's very hard to find one for the discount I got.

that's gonna look nice ;)   amazing what on the market today!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

As Ken said..WOW!!!!  I had to look several times as with the background it appeared to be the real thing.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

CDW, I'm like Popeye, waiting to see you build your Enzo. I love Ferraris & watched Phil Hill & Pedro Rodriquez drive at Daytona & Sebring back in 1962 or so. I must have at least 60 Ferrari models built. Mine would have to be red. My wife & I would stop at the Ferrari dealer over in Greensboro NC & photograph everything they had. Even tho I drove up in a Subaru, they were real nice & let me have fun.

They had Porsche & Ferrari & Maserati Bentley & Aston Martin, nothing cheap. Needless to say, I didn't trade my Subaru.

I took this of Lorenzo Bandini at Daytona in 1967, he won.129806258431132640.jpg

Gene