Triton Cross Section by Snowmans

Thanks, thay are seperated into the sizes so once I get to sand them I can grab each size and run through the machine. Takes about 20 minutes do sand all four sides for all the pieces in the photo. Longest part is setting the height for each size.

Woohoo, I will bemaking my first attempt at treenailing today and am looking forward to drilling all the holes. This will be done before the lower deck beams get put in place. (the beams are in the process of being bent to shape)

I have decided to use toothpicks as I dont have a drawplate yet and this will be easier than trying to cut the timber the right size. I tried making my own but after breaking four drill bits I gave up. These will be the only wood I wont be cutting myself on this build and I am thinking about staining these to a darker color. I will try a few in some scrap first with a couple of shades of stain to see how they look once finished, and post photos.

It's good that you're going to to some testing first. Could you post some pictures of your staining samples when you have some? I would like to see them as I was thinking the same thing, using toothpicks on my build.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Snowmans,

the planking looks great, nice 'n neat. Should look good with a finish coat. I always found drilling treenail holes a tedious pain (particularly in places the dremel wouldn't fit), so congrats on your unbridled enthusiasm, long may it last.

Regards,

Grant.

Have photos of the jig used to bend the beams. Glued the plan to a mdf board and clamp back to a couple of nails to get the curve right. Soaked the plank then clamped to the board to dry overnight. I have used rimu which looks really dark when wet, but dries a lot lighter. Two beams are now ready with one drying and one to go.

20130303152346.jpg

20130303152353.jpg

I ended up going out of town for work this week so no evenings in the shed. Have got some of the treenails drilled but not all of them are finished yet. Made up a couple of samples of treenails with different stains to see how they will end up looking. Not entirely happy with the result so will experement a bit more. I will need some more toothpicks so will get those and see how they react to the stain. I used a pigment stain and it seemed to dry around the outside of the toothpick, leaving the centre clear. I think I will buy an oil stain to see if this soaks all the way through. Again the photos are taken late at night in a dimly lit shed so it is hard to see the different colors.

Will try to get a better shot on the weekend.

Different color stains - 4 of each color in a spare piece of decking.

20130303152736.jpg

And with a single coat of oil to see the finished result.

20130303160442.jpg

Nice test chart. Thanks for the share. Gives me something to think about someday.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Nice idea on bending the beams and I like your treenails testing. Can't see the colors very well in the above pictures, but still like the idea of test first. I hope you can post some closeup pictures later.  :)  Had to turn my head sideways to see what was written on the paper.  :D

Ron

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Have cut the stain colors to three, and will make up another test piece to check the final color.

Ron - the notes were the stain colors used for each treenail so I could remember which color was where. These were all the colors I had in the shed that hadnt dried up in the tin.

I will take the camera into the shed today that will be better than the camera on the phone. I had no shed time yesterday as it was the wifes birthday.

The holes for the treenails look very neatly done. I like the stain color you have in the photo.

Russ

Well done Snowmans! A very sharp look. I like it a lot.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks for the comments. The golden color is only an oil finish on kauri. I have used rimu and kauri which will stand out more once the finish is on. Still trying different stains for the treenails. Might be ongoing tests for a few days/weeks yet. Bending beams at the same time so these are ready once I finish the treenails and oil up to the underside of the lower deck.

Snowmans

Looking great. Did you use a template to mark off the holes for the treenails or did you measure and mark each spot? What size drill bit did you use to drill the holes for the toothpicks? Do you have any closeup pictures of your toothpick staining? I'm also doing a test on toothpicks, I'm soaking them in a dark walnut stain for a few days to see if the stain will penetrate the toothpick. My first test only soaked the outer surface and not the core. Sorry for all the questions. :)  

Ron

Very nice,Back to the drawing board for me.I'll try to get mine as nice. Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Ron - I used a 0.6mm drill bit in the dremel for the treenails.

I made a slight vee in the end of a length of timber to guide the drill bit, and used a small clamp as a depth stop. the clamp was butted up to the end frame which gave the same distance to each frame. measured by eye for each plank. I have a few photos of this which I will put up when I get a chance.

Had the same trouble with the first toothpicks, have just bought a packet of wooden ones I will try this weekend. The bamboo ones didnt let the stain soak through.

Snowman,I also had trouble with the stains.Trees have a lot of water so I tried a water base product.Very strong TEA.I let the toothpicks soak about 6 hours,untill they sunk.Dried them and they worked great.A few pictures to boot.

post-37-0-09992100-1363366843.jpg

post-37-0-55097500-1363366860.jpg

post-37-0-49042200-1363366896.jpg

post-37-0-16156800-1363366924.jpg

Constellation by AL

Good idea Rummy, I picked up a waterbased stain yesterday and the have the toothpicks soaking overnight. I will take them out of the stain this morning and let them dry before doing another test. I alsofound some real wooden toothpicks instead of bamboo which shoild work better.

Here is the jig I used for drilling the holes for the treenails. I was going to measure and mark all the holes with a pencil but figured they would be all the same distance from a square edge this would be quiker.

Small length of scrap wood with a square edge clamp to fix the length. Small vee in the end to guide the drill bit, and the thickness acted as a depth stop for the drill bit.

img5180v.jpg

img5178y.jpg

Snowmans

Thanks for the pictures. That's a great idea for uniformity. 

Ron

Deck posts cut and ready to fit. Deck beams are bent to shape. Have toothpicks in a jar of stain overnight as Rummy suggested. The stain was watered down slightly to help it soak into the toothpicks and

i will dry them tomorrow for a day or two before glueing into place. Once sanded the clear finish can go onto the lower timbers.

20130316163737.jpg

20130316163828.jpg

I do like your work.Very neat and clean.Very nice wood.  Larry

Constellation by AL