Triton Cross Section by Snowmans

Have the treenails stained and ready to install. They came out a lovely golden color which should go well with the rest of the timber once finished.The toothpicks on the left have been stained the right are natural.

20130323154243.jpg

All the treenails are glued in place. One side has been sanded smooth and is ready to finish. The other is ready to cut off the excess and sand. The tooth picks were cut in half as they are double ended. Then sanded to a sharper point on the sander before staining as the point was fairly blunt which would have forced the holes into a larger size. All in all I think they look good, very hard to see at the moment but will see how they are after a coat of oil. I would rather something subtle than an extreme color difference. I am hoping that over the long weekend I will have at least one coat of oil on the lower timbers.

20130327214848.jpg

I will be using danish oil. It will get 3-4 coats which will darken the rimu a lot and leave the kauri a golden colour.

Couple more pictures. Toothpicks being sharpened, showing how blunt they were on the right.

img5197w.jpg

Here are the treenails before they were sanded flush.

img5195z.jpg

img5196ih.jpg

She's coming along nicely. I agree Pete. It'll look real nice once sanded and oiled.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

The treenails look very good. The pattern is good and their color stands out just enough for some contrast. Very nice work.

Russ

Nice work Snowmans

I just marked off the planking for the treenails also. Wow, that's about 360 holes to drill... That's a lot of toothpick sharpening.  :)

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Snowmans,

Excellent log and I want to thank you for taking the time to post it for the group. Like the look you’re getting with the Danish oil. Many things for me to remember here as I begin my cross section.

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

It's looking great Snowmans. I like the natural look. Good choice on the oil. Did you do any experiments with Tung Oil or just the Danish?

Ron

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Love that color,seems very warm.Great work ! Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

I like the colors of your choosen timbers. Very nice planking job.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

The colouring looks great, I'm with Joss, the oil has bought out the warmth in the timber. Would've been best to mask off the two top timbers (deck clamps), the knees will be glued to them. You'll probably get away with it though, as the knees will be glued to the deck beams.

Regards,

Grant.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Yeah, I realised after the oil was on that I needed to mask a bit lower. I was hoping no one would notice, but not much is missed around here. i should be able to lightly sand/scrape where the knees fix. Working on the rest of the deack framing now.

Daniel - I put on 3 coats with about 8 hours between. Rubbed in a generous amount of oil then wiped all the excess off and let dry before the next coat. No brush used, I had a piece of soft cotton cloth rolled into a wad. Similar to cheesecloth or muttoncloth. Used a second piece to wipe excess off. 

Hi Snowmans. Just got time to catch up on your log. The oil really does

make the wood look great. Very nice job. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

Back to sanding, used two different drum sizes on the drill press to get the shape right. The smaller drum is home made by a friend - piece of pipe welded to a shaft with sandpaper attached. All the deck beams are finished to the right sizes so next I will break out the chisels and start fitting these.

20130331155819.jpg

20130331155931.jpg

Snowmans

Just dropped in to say hi and see where you were at. You are about the same place as me. I have cut all the pieces for the decking and now trying to figure out the best way to tackle building it (off or on the ship). Will check in later. 

Ron