Triton Cross Section by Snowmans

They didn't just turn out ok, they turned out great. Very nice work Snowmans.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

• 2 weeks later...

Slow building this week, kids are under the weather so not a lot of time to spend in the shed. This weekend is out too as have been given a list of things to do. I think I will have to sneak down in the evening once everyone is in bed to get a few minutes of building in. Only problem with that is winter has arrived and it is freezing cold sitting in a tin shed late at night. Fingers have trouble mooving after a while.

Your freezing and our temp is going to be 90 to 91 degrees everyday. Worlds just upside down. LOL.

Hope the kids get feeling better asap.

Good Luck with everything.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Sorry to hear about the kids, I hope it is a short lived problem. Having a young family demands a lot of time, savour it. They grow up fast, before you know it, it'll just be you and the wife.

All the best,

Grant.

• 3 weeks later...

Its been a couple of weeks since the last post. All the family has recovered and I managed to catch up on few jobs around home . Nothing more on the build. I did manage to get a couple of new tools made in the few minutes in the shed. Decided I didnt need to pay a heap of money for a small square and my others (all 5) are too big to be of any use on the Triton. So a small piece of Steel, spot of epoxy glue, and scrap of timber later I have a minature square.

93td.jpg

Really nice tool!

Congratulations. I remember being at Lisbon, Portugal, and I found a shop were they were selling squares of that size for less than one euro... Silly me that I only bought one. It´s been with me for almost ten years and It works really well. Maybe I´ll go to Lisbon again and ask for ten or fifty of them just to share...

Cheers.

Daniel.

Don't you always enjoy making your own tools when you can. Your square turned out nice.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

NIce looking square Snowmans. It will come in handy, I'm sure. I've been looking for one myself, maybe I should make one also.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

• 2 weeks later...

I have some of the hanging knees fixed in place, hopefully have all finished tomorrow. It will take a bit longer to get them glued in place. Only glueing one or two at a time otherwise they get knocked around when I try to glue the next piece. Will start the smallest of the deck beams when the knees are all in place.

• 1 year later...

I'm also glad to see you're back at it. I see the time off hasn't hurt your work either. Very well done!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Just found this log and really enjoyed catching up with you.  Beautiful craftsmanship and thanks for sharing your innovative ideas. 

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I hadn't realised it had been so long since I posted here. I stopped on the Triton for a couple of months while I worked on a few tools and sorted out the shed to make it more user friendly. I did make a couple if small chisels - only because I dont want to spend lots of money on a range of sizes. Only the 3mm one on the left is store bought. they look a bit rough bit cut nicely. The smallest one (not in pic) is 1.5mm.

24o7w2x.jpg

The one on the left is the only store bought one. The next two are made from allen keys. One is from a spraygun needle, this doesnt hold an edge as well as the others. Last two are concrete nails ground down to size. All were ground or hammered to shape then heat treated before the final sharpening. The handles range from old file handles to hardwood blocks shaped on the lathe. Some are just a flat stick with the blade epoxied in a hole in the end.

Hi, I've been a long time fan of this build and hope to head down the scratch build path one day, probably with homemade tools like a thickness sander and table saw.

A question on the table saw - is the dremel mounted directly to the underside of the table or is it a flexibility-shaft attachment mounted there? I'm wondering how to get the clearance with a wide bodied dremel under there.

This shows my multi tool table saw, made from scrap I had around the shed. The flexible shaft sits in a groove on a hinged block to set the depth and has a locking block screwed on top to hold it in place. I have put a mark on the block to line this up each time I set up. The mandrel is from a small drum sander has a small washer each side of the blade to keep it a bit more rigid. The top was screwed on then I turned on the power and raised the blade to cut through the top.

2drfbr8.jpg

29prcw7.jpg

15wc76r.jpg

25qvkp2.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have all of the deck beams fixed in place. Need to give them a light sand then the deck will belaid on top andit will be all hidden. This has been a good practice for the top deck, I may leave this open to show some exposed beams. Will have to decide when I get to that stage, and see how good the joints are.

post-119-0-12437900-1419477103_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...