Billing Boats Esmeralda 1/100

RickyGene

Well since the SOS is a no go, I was haunting eBay again and came across what I took to be an interesting vessel.  I am a sucker for Naval Training Ships.  Plus the price was well below half what a new kit cost and this was a NIB.  I pulled the trigger and this what I purchased.  The Chilean Navy Training Vessel Esmeralda in 1/100 scale.  This is the older version, no laser cut.  All fittings included and this kit retails for over $500.00 f/the laser cut kit.  Searched the WEB and read all I could find, not too much but some.  Found only one build thread and the site is no longer available.  So this will be my next project.  Any comments would be helpful, seems I can find no builds anywhere and any tips would be helpful. 

Esmalreda.jpg

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

Received the kit this week.  Comes in a large flat box, this is one of the Billing Boats kits that came w/fittings, ie: 146 brass turned portholes. And of course the rest of the trimmings.  The wood is in perfect condition, some of the best plywood I have ever seen in a kit.  The kit is not for a beginner, but the plans and instructions and there is also a PDF one can down load.  Anyone with determination and the right mind set could build this beautiful ship.  I have spent the time wanting for the kit, might I add, I purchased Friday evening and was shipped this past Monday.  UPS delivered to my doorstep Wed. afternoon just before 12:00.  Now that was service.  I had a order from CA take 2 weeks before!  Anyhow, as I was saying, I spent the time waiting building a Billing Boats Build Slip #397 that I have had so long I no longer where I purchased.  This is the build slip as recommended on the PDF and the written instructions for the construction of the keel/frame.  And in keeping with their recommendations, have followed their suggestion.  Let me add, the slip is no cake walk, you have to pay close attention on how you place the center building spine.  Get it off and the Pooch is, you know the rest.  Looking so forward to building this beast.  The scale as given is 1/100th, that translates into a hull almost 36" long and 5 1/4" wide deck.  That makes for a monster ships hull.

66487d42444b182cef1f64c120e6f03b.jpg

Neophyte Shipwright

Can anyone inform me of how one contacts Billing Boats USA.  I have sent e-mails and they keep coming back.  Are they no longer in business?  I seem to remember reading somewhere they were no longer producing kits!

Rick

Neophyte Shipwright

Hi Rick,

Billing Boats is a kit manufacturer, while Billing Boats USA is a distributor and never made kits. Billing Boats USA went through some changes a few years back – they are still in business, but owned by Ages of Sail.

Email address is customer.service@billingboatsusa.com

Hope that helps!

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Thank you, got in touch with, seems they want me to do the impossible to help me.  I doubt I would purchase another Billing Boats kit for a dire lack of support.

Rick

PS:  the e-mail address keeps coming back as undeliverable!

Edited by RickyGene
correction

Neophyte Shipwright

I'm guessing you got in touch with Billing Boats, not BBUSA. So, what is "the impossible" that Billing Boats wants you to do???

On the BBUSA email, I just checked and they are apparently having problems with spam attacks on their customer registration system. This seems to be happening to a lot of ecommerce sites and somehow affecting the email address.

Someone is looking into it now. 

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

In answer to your question what they are asking for is not the end of the world.  But I feel as if my character is being called into question.  I purchased from eBay, NOS from a Hobby Distributor in IL.  Before those I contacted will help, they want a copy of the sales receipt, a photo copy of the plans showing the parts needed and proof of where I purchased.  Yes, I understand the why and sure they have the right.  But on the other hand when I contacted Daniel Dusek about a issue, not just once but twice w/in the last three years.  No questions asked, what was the issue and he took care of and replaced FOC.  Also had a issue w/OcCer, they did the same, what was wrong and the parts sent.  I understand their questions, but I also offered to pay for, not just get free.  Just goes to show who apricates your business and who, it is just about the money and forget you.  So w/o saying their name here in the USA there is a reason I have never purchased from again because of another issue years ago!  I have been provided w/another distributor here that has Billing Boats and maybe they can help.  If not, I will just march on and scratch build. Thank you for you concern Clare Hess

Neophyte Shipwright

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...