HMS Vanguard Victory models /Amati which to buy?

Ian B

Hi

I am just about to buy what is for me my ultimate build. I now feel I can do it justice with my new found limited skillset lol . My only concern is-- It looks like this kit has more than one release with updates and if so how will I know I am buying the 'up to date ' current  version? Lots of places on line offering it with around a £50-60 swing in price.

Thanks Ian

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

You are right. Products have various revisions, and I think the number on the kit review below (Catalogue # 1300/04) means it's the 4th revision. 

As this kit came directly from Amati in Turin, to me last June, it's safe to presume that is the latest revision.

To be honest, any changes are usually very minor, but there's a possibility that it originally had wooden gun carriages instead of the cast things in there now. It's no biggie to fix that though. As these are high value items for shops to stock, you can assume that anything they have in won't have been sat on the shelf for too long either. I wouldn't worry too much about kit revisions at this stage when it comes to Vanguard.

Actually, all the Victory Models line of kits starts with a 1300. The 04 indicates specifically HMS Vanguard. I don't know of a way to identify any revisions of the kit. The only variances that I've been aware of is the current version vs. the old Model Expo version, though I imagine some other things have changed.

I agree that if you purchase from a major supplier, like Ages of Sail or Cornwall, I'm pretty sure they go through enough of these that they will have the "current" version, good or bad. 

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

1 hour ago, catopower said:

Actually, all the Victory Models line of kits starts with a 1300. The 04 indicates specifically HMS Vanguard. I don't know of a way to identify any revisions of the kit. The only variances that I've been aware of is the current version vs. the old Model Expo version, though I imagine some other things have changed.

I agree that if you purchase from a major supplier, like Ages of Sail or Cornwall, I'm pretty sure they go through enough of these that they will have the "current" version, good or bad. 

Thanks for the correction. I definitely stand corrected on that. 😅

Thank you both, for taking time to respond. That makes my purchasing a whole lot simpler :) So now just the explaining to my wife when a large expensive box turns up to do ha ha ha

6 hours ago, catopower said:

Then again, Ages of Sail has it in stock, AND unlike Cornwall, they're a paying sponsor of this site... 😁

Of course, there is international shipping, which will probably make it more expensive. Does UK Customs tack on VAT on products shipped from the US?

Import duty from US is high, and for something of this value, it would be crippling. Importing from the USA to the U.K. is staggeringly expensive, not to mention the actual postage of something large and heavy (plus we pay import fees that are partially calculated on shipping), hence the reason I gave a local seller. 

I’ve paid £60 once on duty for a parcel costing half of that. It’s shocking. You’d easily look at adding a good £200 plus in duty alone.  

I got Sherbourne from CMB and even with delivery they worked out the cheapest. 

Just my twopenneth worth.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I live in the US, and  have paid considerably less for kits from CMB than the same kit purchased from US dealers. even after shipping was factored in..

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

When I was getting my bits from Chuck for my Cheerful build HMRC always stung me when they were imported :(:default_wallbash:

I do use CMB for my bits and pieces -always a fab service... so in a few weeks I shall order it under the cunning plan of telling my Wife-

'It saves you looking for something to get me for Christmas which I know you always find difficult' . 

'Oh yes, it is a big box but size isn't everything' :)

Just make sure you look very surprised with lots compliments about the gift.   ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well I have just ordered the paint set from CMB--- I reckon ordering mid November is the soonest  I can order the kit and say its for Christmas :)