Typhoon by mtdoramike - FINISHED - Dumas - here we go again

I have an opportunity to pick up an orphaned Dumas Typhoon mahogany runabout for the cost of shipping from a fellow builder, who received it as well but isn't interested in building it. he says he things all the parts are there, but who knows, it's a shot in the dark and a bit of a gamble. But I tend to be my own worst enemy at times and a really glutton for punishment. So, we'll see how it goes. But this is one of those kits I would LOVE to build.

I had planned to retire from modeling with maybe an occasional small build here and there, but since heart surgery they have been finding me like stray puppies following me home from school.  

Here is what I received in the mail regarding the Typhoon kit. First off, the kit is huge, the shipping on it was $48.50, so remember this when you want to purchase an already built model. The box is quite water damaged with a little mildewing, but the contents seems to have been spared for the most part. The plans are pretty much toast because of getting wet, the ink smeared quite badly. No biggie, I can order new plans from Dumas for about $25.00.  

DSC00703.JPG

DSC00702.JPG

DSC00701.JPG

makes into a lovely looking build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I ordered a new set of plans, which were $27.00 total shipped from Dumas. I separated all of the building materials and ditched the box since it suffered quite a bit of water damage and shown signs of mold and mildew. I also took a solution of mild soap, bleach and water and wiped down the blonde wood sheets just in case of any mold then clamped them down to try and keep any warping to a minimum.

Everything looks good and dry. 

I believe this Typhoon kit is a very early kit to the point that who ever owned this kit originally made numerous and I mean numerous addendums and changes to the instruction manual, way more so than a normal builder would do or would have done. You can see a representation of this on a few of the pages that I attached. This observation is going to make this building not only more of a challenge than anticipated, but a hell of a thrill as well. I'm giddy just thinking about. So this is going to require a lot more forethought than usual. I sure wish the plans weren't smeared because I would have loved to see the changes and I'm sure there were since there was red ink in several places on the plans.    

DSC00713.JPG

DSC00714.JPG

Edited by mtdoramike

4 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

I believe this Typhoon kit is a very early kit to the point that who ever owned this kit originally made numerous and I mean numerous addendums and changes to the instruction manual, way more so than a normal builder would do or would have done. You can see a representation of this on a few of the pages that I attached. This observation is going to make this building not only more of a challenge than anticipated, but a hell of a thrill as well. I'm giddy just thinking about. So this is going to require a lot more forethought than usual. I sure wish the plans weren't smeared because I would have loved to see the changes and I'm sure there were since there was red ink in several places on the plans.    

DSC00713.JPG

DSC00714.JPG

It could be an early prototype before general release, i change things on my builds but never make a note of it

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I might go ahead and start the building process of the Typhoon as my next project since I have someone interested in it. I started removing the hull frames, keel from the trees this afternoon and boy what a PITA that was. It seems the die cutters must have been quite dull because I had to cut out and score around each piece with an xacto knife quite deeply just to keep from breaking the parts. It reminded me of those old printed on wood kits that you literally had to cut out with a knife or scroll saw.  

I received the new plans and the instruction booklet from Dumas yesterday and upon reviewing both of the instructions, I found that in the new version, some of the change recommendations indicated in the old instruction manual were made in the new version, but not all of them. I'm going to use both of the instruction manuals during the construction process to see what differences if any the change suggestions would make to the build.  

I'm using a Tite Bond wood glue interior/exterior use for the framing rather than 5 minute epoxy or super glue (Star Bond) for the purpose of set time which is slower, but yet easier to cut if I have to ease pressure on a few pieces if I see a twist or warp. Now once I have the frame halves together, I will use the 48" building board to fashion a keel holder/clamp to place the keel in while I start planking it in case I can't get back to it for a few days. Here in Florida it can get quite humid and even leaving a straight keel and frames to it's own devices for only a few days can develop a warp and even a twist until you at least get a portion of the hull planked.

The interior of the hull will be resined with epoxy resin and cloth where I can get to it once the hull is planked.

I would agree that it is an interesting build, but if I were going to keep this model for myself, I would do some bashing and modify it from it's original design. I'm not a fan of the pointed bow and stern, to me it looks to much like a canoe. I would remove the last 4 or so frames, bob it off in the back like the run abouts and make a decent stern and that might be an option since I actually paid nothing for the kit, only the shipping cost to me. I haven't started the planking yet.    

I have added a couple of stringers to the top of the boat. Also it was brought to my attention that on this particular model, there is a trap door on the bottom of the rear stern to access the rudder shaft as well as the rudder servo. I'm not liking that setup, but unsure how to change it without having to make major changes to the stern sections in order to be able to access all of this from the top.  

DSC00751.JPG

DSC00753.JPG

DSC00754.JPG

DSC00755.JPG

DSC00756.JPG

DSC00757.JPG

DSC00752.JPG

DSC00757.JPG

DSC00758.JPG

I have the seats all made up and test fitted with the side panels to make sure of fit and finish, and it looks good to me. Now I have to remove them and prep the seats and side panels for painting and here is where the rub comes in. The instructions call for green paint for the seats as well as the anti fouling paint for the hull, I dislike green so this presents a bit of a dilemma. Now if I were a purist, which I'm not, I would go strictly by the traditional colors, but I may deviate from the traditional a little here. My wife hates to send me to get paint, especially a specific color paint because she never know what I will bring back. She has often said, if they sold plaid in a can, I would so up with it instead white.

DSC00759.JPG

DSC00760.JPG

DSC00761.JPG