Md30rock

Requesting assistance with ID'ing Galleon(?)

Hi everyone, thanks for the add.  I read and understand the discussion in the New Member forum about the scarcity of truly rare and valuable models, the distinction between kits and scratch models, and the notion that old does not automatically mean valuable.  What I am in need of identifying I don't believe has value but I at least want to try to get some informed opinions about what it is.  Please excuse my lack of proper maritime language; I am researching this for a client.  My questions about the model I have posted here are: 

1.  Is this a galleon ship? 

2. Do the crests on the sails represent a particular group or country? 

3.  Is this a folk art piece?  It appears clunky and out of proportion, is lacking in detail and precision and the paint job is erratic. 

4.  Any guess as to age of this model? 

5. Finally, I'm going to throw in just one other photo of a clipper ship (is that what it is?).  Is this a recognizable ship to anyone?

I apologize for the lousy photos.  They are all I have.  I appreciate any and all feedback and information you may have and thank you in advance for taking the time to respond. 

Marge

GalleonCU1.JPG

Clipper.JPG

GalleonBack.JPG

GalleonCU2.JPG

GalleonSails.JPG

GalleonFull.JPG

GalleonFront.JPG

I would say that's one those mass-produced kits from the maybe 30's or later.  A lot of department stores sold them as decorator items.

The third ship down with the black hull?   Not a clipper but looks like a stylized frigate.  This one also appears to one those decorator items.  

Depends on what you mean by galleon. The term has got a bit stretched, but properly should refer to something from the 16th or at the latest the 17th century, and looks like this

image.png.eb8a49a02eb39cafd6d3247c97e79672.pngimage.png.dc38f0ca1a404ea05705c5d1dc8be4aa.pngimage.png.34880995021f8ea2c6abd786fd198d59.pngimage.png.4e2b76ebd9660914f223b465880d7049.pngimage.png.7fd052651adedc84a5f39c0a4a6b5331.pngimage.png.6fbc20d86de7fff24ba874c8f709673e.png  

The beakhead (that bit sticking out in front of what we in the trade call "the sharp end";)) started to get curvy in the 16th century as in your model, and there were several other changes, but mostly fairly minor. But as the ships evolved, a point came when "galleon" was no longer really an accurate description of a ship that had changed almost beyond recognition, but owed its origin to the galleon.

Image result for wooden frigate

Your model is closer to a galleon than any other type of ship that really existed, so for a lack of a better title "galleon" is probably the best name for it.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Thank you Steven!  I hadn't seen that curvy doohickey (I know you're all cringing now) on any of the models I had seen during my research and that's why I wondered if it was a folk art piece.  Now I know, beakhead!  Thank you to all for providing me this additional information.  So very helpful!

3 hours ago, Md30rock said:

I hadn't seen that curvy doohickey (I know you're all cringing now)

Ships have their own vast and unique sea of jargon, and it was a complete mystery to every one of us at some point.

Here you are - 17th century ship with curved doohickey (Good name - maybe I'll use that from now on . . .). This is the reconstruction of the Batavia, wrecked 1629 off the coast of Western Australia, followed by mutiny and mass murder - a very grisly story.

Image result for dutch ship 17th century