New guy looking for suggestions

Afonso

What Chris Coyle said is true.  As your skills improve, you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  Go slow, study other logs, but be determined to allow mistakes and then correct them.  I daresay that 90% of ship modeling is mindset more than the kit itself.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, Afonso said:

I actually like the Apostol Felipe more... Do you think this model is much harder than the San Martin?

I have no personal knowledge of either kit. Apostol Felipe is a larger model in a larger scale and appears to include a few more fancy bits in the kit, but I doubt that they are substantively different in their construction methods.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome to Model Ship World, you bought above your skill set which is understandable most if not all of us have done that, but if your feeling is that it would take to long and to much work to fix the model that you initially purchased then find another hobby now before you waste anymore time. That is the wrong mentality to have in this hobby and which is why there are people like me who adopted orphaned kits people with no experience attempt to build and when the going gets tough they get discouraged and give up on it.

But good luck on your next attempt, the Apostol Felipe is no more of an easier kit for a first timer than your first attempt. So rather than giving up on it, try posting here on the forums and ask for help, tips and tricks we are more than happy to try and help.      

Post a build log.  We are here to help, not criticize.  We are also good cheerleaders and teachers when the journey gets tough (and it will).  Your best tool will be patience.  Your second best tool will be solvent for your glue!  We all started at the beginning.  We all make mistakes, no matter how many years we have been building models.  On my current project (see below) I ripped out three rows of planking, costing me several days of work.  

Just remember, this is a hobby...  Have fun with it; and if you learn something along the way even better.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Welcome to the site!  

pa·tience
/ˈpāSHəns/
noun
  1. 1. 
    the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.

I remember spending 4 months drafting by hand, making all the frames and then binning everything and starting again.

It's not often in life you get a second chance but you do in model building!

Have fun and do not worry, all will fall into place in the end. 

Hi Afonso, just spotted this thread. Have to say I wouldn’t choose the Occre San Martin again, simply because of the lack of historical accuracy and I do like galleons with stacked up forecastles and sterns. I  spent quite a lot on stub cannons, a wooden ships boat, more realistic cannons for the deck and extra timber all mentioned in the log. To be fair to Occre it is  a budget model and you get what you pay for. With hindsight would have chosen the San Marcos as it looks more like a 16th galleon based on the paintings of Armada vessels I’ve seen. My next model will be semi scratch at a larger scale once I’ve finished the San  Martin hopefully this winter and more historically accurate. Hope this helps.

Slowhand,

Current build - Polacca scratch build from Amati plan

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

Dragon keel boat - Billings

• 4 months later...

Ok so just a bit of an update... 

I did buy the Apostol Felipe, and it's been quite fun... I haven't had much time, but now with the quarantine looming i had some time to finally get started...

It's been an annoying start since i have to sand down everything for quite a long time since all the holes are too small... It's starting to get a bit annoying, but i'm getting there... 

I do have a couple of questions before i start my own log... I haven't seen a pure "beginners" section, so i'll just ask here, as it's probably quite trivial. 

So i started with planking (lining the deck?, i'm not sure which since English isn't my first language). Everything seemed logical, except that when i look for specific parts and look at the pictures, all the "planks" for each part are of a different number. Also when i look in the "parts" paper, it shows me like there should be a bunch of different things; 

- Bowsprit deck planking 1 x 3 x 30

- Waist deck planking 1 x 3 x 220

- Forcastle deck and bulkhead lining 1x 3 x 90

Which is making me really confused. The pictures look the same, and i don't think i have any different "planks" to use. I have no idea what the x 220 would be... what is that? 

I will attach a couple of pictures so you guys can see what i mean. I'll also post the pictures of what i have. I assume the thin ones are for the planking, and the thicker ones are for the outer parts of the ship. But i can in no way find 5+ different among them that would qualify as waist deck planking thats x 220 compared to forecastle that's x90. Or is that simply the size that they should have on the actual ship and i'm overthinking it? I just don't want to make a mistake so early on again :D 

If this is the wrong section to post these questions please let me know, and forward me to the right one.

Thanks and have a great day!

20200327_164618.jpg

20200327_164656.jpg

20200327_164719.jpg

20200327_164708.jpg

As a new builder myself, I would add the following: Take a look at instructions and practicums of the kit you are thinking of building. The better the instructions, the less mistakes and second-guessing. Having said that, you will make mistake no matter what and that is part of the adventure. None of mine have been show-stoppers (yet), but it can be  tough on the soul some times. :)  Take a look at the Model Expo site; the Shipways models have the instructions available for free download. Some of the manuals are practically books themselves! Even if you don’t want to build any of those models, just skimming will give you a sense of order of operations and the difference between scales, etc. I would suggest creating a build log as well, so questions can reach experts with full context, leading to better answers. Good luck and I look forward seeing what you create!!

On 10/29/2019 at 10:10 AM, tlevine said:

Your best tool will be patience.  Your second best tool will be solvent for your glue! 

That’s great!! If MSW had t-shirts, that should be the tag line!

11 hours ago, Afonso said:

Which is making me really confused. The pictures look the same, and i don't think i have any different "planks" to use. I have no idea what the x 220 would be... what is that? 

You are correct that the last number is the approximate length of the “plank”.  Same material, same width and thickness,  but they are telling you the length.  All being cut from the same piece.  I have numerous kits with similar instructions.