FINISHED - BR-52 Steam Locomotive by CDW - Trumpeter - 1:35 Scale

CDW

11 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

What was the purpose of the “blinder” plates on either side of the front of the locomotive?

Air deflectors. They cause the smoke from the stack to raise free of the engine and allow the engineer a clearer field of view. (I had to look it up as well.:huh:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_deflectors 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Just now, lmagna said:

Air deflectors. They cause the smoke from the stack to raise free of the engine and allow the engineer a clearer field of view. (I had to look it up as well.:huh:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_deflectors 

Lol, I should have read your post before I replied to Roger. I guess we have our answer...smoke deflectors. Your reply was on page 3, a new page.

It is your thread Craig and to be honest I am impressed. You say you don't know much about locomotives yet you knew what they were. I had the same question as Roger a few days ago and was too embarrassed to ask so spent all too much time determining #1, what they were called, and #2 what they did. That was why I was so quick in replying to his question. I was like a kid in class who just learned something new and was able to raise his hand and show off a little!:D 

I originally thought they might be some kind of armor plating used to protect part of the boiler! But then on closer inspection of your model it appeared that they were made of wood and the search began.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Before I ever started work on this model, I spent a number of hours doing online research of the Br-52. So many times, information found on the internet is not reliable so I take it with a grain of salt. But it's quite true that my sum total knowledge of railroading could be held in a thimble compared to knowledgeable railroad folk.

same here with the General........I had never built a train model before {if I did,  I don't remember}.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great work  and some very intersting  research being learned  - I too am very skeatchy  when it comes to steam trains, the only thing I remember building with my farther was one of those large card  ones  - I lost interest and he finished it,   had a couple of  Hornby  ones though as a kid.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Yep, lads, that is what they are. They help to lift the stack gases up over the top of the loco. Keeps the smoke out of the crews eyes, at speed. Some roads here in the US used them, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Progress updates on the Br-52 will be fewer and farther between over the next couple of weeks. I'm prepping and painting our house, and this prep work is serious crap. Painting is a breeze compared to the prep, but ain't that always true whether we're decorating our scale models or painting a house, car, truck, or whatever. When I used to paint cars and trucks, prep work was 90% of the hard work and that's no joke.

1420109299_housepainting.thumb.JPG.277f7941e5c874a86550f8fbb8a098b8.JPG

You have my sympathies Craig. I was doing a couple of "Getting ready for winter" things the other day and I suspect I will be doing the same in a year or two. Except in my case my wife says she wants to change the color of the house!:blink:

So you get here at last Ken. Where were you when all of us needed your loco knowledge?:D 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou, I was out of town, so didn't have my loco cyclopedia to refer to. No misstating of info to add any confusion, by pulling an answer out without checking.  I've been off, hobnobbing with other prototype railroad modelers. And a fine time was had by all. Learned a little about improving my airbrushing techniques. 😁

Craig, lots of work prepping the house. Local chore is blowing the leaves off the driveway. Threats of snow with that crud underneath should be avoided. Driveway will be as slick as owl poop with leaves and snow on it. 😧

Edited by Canute

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

You have my sympathies Craig. I was doing a couple of "Getting ready for winter" things the other day and I suspect I will be doing the same in a year or two. Except in my case my wife says she wants to change the color of the house!:blink:

So you get here at last Ken. Where were you when all of us needed your loco knowledge?:D 

Mine is no exception, I am entirely changing the colors. 

Do yourself a huge favor and first lay down a good primer coat like Zinser brand. Then buy a premium paint, one that will cover in one coat. You'll be darned glad you did. And it will last a long long time before you have to do it again. 

Seriously, as much work as this is, I don't know if I could do this again once some more years go by. It doesn't get any easier. Next time I'll just bite the bullet and hire someone to do it for me. In a weird sort of way I like doing things like this myself. Always have done things like this myself and have never hired this kind of work out to others.

Like you I have always done my own work. Cars, house, yard and pretty much everything else. But in the last few years things have changed drastically and I am no longer trying to fool myself. It is one thing KNOWING how to do it, and being ABLE to do it. :( Plus I wasn't smart like you and instead of a relatively modern single story ranch style I had to buy a 2500 square foot six bedroom two + story 120 year old Victorian house. Under the already existent paint it is made of Cedar, a common building wood here in the NW a hundred years ago. 

I will need to either sand or pressure wash, then prime, then paint. As all this is going to cost a fortune it had better last! I don't want to have to EVER do it again! 

Dumb question time. You already stated that you are going to start the gun car soon and will have the three cars of the model kits. Do you have any intent on adding another car or two such as a command car, AA car, ammo car, (I know that is more than one or two) Are there any "G" scale cars that would match this build?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

....and the military centipede grows ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

18 hours ago, CDW said:

I'm thinking of doing an AA car to go in front of the locomotive...like this one:

That would be a fantastic add on with your skills. It would be hard to believe that any military train like this one would ever leave the station without one.  They make a high sided car as well that I think would be fairly easy to convert into a command or  birthing car for the troops.. The nice thing is that the other cars could be added at leisure after the two present cars are done. But like Denis says, it could end up getting quite long.:stunned:

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Jan is correct. Light cars should trail the loco and usually are limited to pretty low speeds. The Germans hauled AAA cars, but I seem to remember they were behind the loco. Looked at a lot of WWII gun camera film from my F-4 unit in Germany way back when. They flew P-47s during the war and shot up a lot of stuff. Winter weather in the Eifel being what it was, we had a lot of non flying days to watch historical movies. A good shoot em up was always fun.

Ken

Didn't the "flak" cars on the trains have two mounts of 2 to 4 guns each?   Plus ammo, some armor on the mount?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi, hell of a beast!! Are you basing it on rails in a case? Or building it into a diorama? I'm loving watching it come together. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

9 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Hi, hell of a beast!! Are you basing it on rails in a case? Or building it into a diorama? I'm loving watching it come together. 

Thank you for looking in and the kind comments.

It will eventually be based on rails and displayed with a Leopold rail gun and an anti aircraft gondola. Lots more construction to do.

Superb work  - that disruptive camo looks the part   keep it up mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

very nice work on the tender.......the whole model looks awesome!  the camo really came out great :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

16 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

very nice work on the tender.......the whole model looks awesome!  the camo really came out great :)  

Thanks Denis. What's odd to me is that Eduard provided a stencil sheet/s in the Big Ed photo etch set, but it was only to mask the wheels. Why they didn't provide a mask for the camouflage seemed disappointing. If i had it to do all over again, I would save the money for the photo etch and buy a good reference book instead. The Trumpeter kit has about all the detail one needs IMHO.