Titanic Lifeboat by Jack12477 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:35 scale

All too true. Your health first. We can wait.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

No rush, Jack. What the others have said.  Recover first.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Take care and get well Jack.

Hope it does not interfere too much with the holidays.:(

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a 2 week stay in the hospital followed by 2 more weeks at home feeling like a slug with no energy and no ambition, I finally ventured into the ship yard to at least finish the ropes I had started to install before my unplanned surgery. I'm still restricted to no lifting over 10 pounds and no driving but I am getting outside for walks around the neighborhood.

I used some tiny doll clothespins I picked up in Michaels some time back to hold the rope in roughly the shape I wanted while the white glue I applied to the rings dried.

Photos follow: 

IMG_7690.JPG.86047147d076badd3989914a7594a27a.JPGIMG_7694.JPG.ef89881ecde5e201535f820be42d0d44.JPG

Got a few goodies for Christmas.  I picked up the Lee Valley Veritas miniature bevel up Jack Plane which works really well and it is only 5 inches long.

IMG_7687.JPG.10cd42984ec94611f6b95773f003a86c.JPGIMG_7688.JPG.cabbca00606fac0e2bf1e203da6f650c.JPGIMG_7689.JPG.eb79e96acd22037dab1a341cc909ce8f.JPG

And my son decided I needed a few more kits to build so he got me a 1:700 and 1:320 destroyer kit.

the 1:700 Tamiya waterline series kit of the USS Cushng DD797

IMG_7686.JPG.afe2497c44b0444806999a89c57f0263.JPG

and the 1:320 Atlantis kit of the USS Forest Sherman DD931

IMG_7696.JPG.11cd5e81d2a245f0e1dcd7b70963abe1.JPGIMG_7697.JPG.f9ce921c880afc26a89c1cd01470ef70.JPG

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and a Happy New Year to come.

Edited by Jack12477

Happy New Year Jack. Good to hear that you are recovering well and that you are able to get back to your "Challenging" Kit It appears that you have a good looking model for all your effort in overcoming the pitfalls of less that good instructions, I was surprised that they did not include the info on the rabbet at the bow and stern that is a serious omission in my view. I'm envious of the new miniature plane, looks like a nice bit of kit.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Glad to see you feeling a little better and getting back into the workshop again Jack.

That Fletcher class in 1/700 will be a real challenge, what is it, 3 maybe 4" long? The Forest Sherman on the other hand might be a nice companion for your Sullivans. Too bad you don't live out here, you could go on board the Turner Joy and get a bunch of pictures for your build. The kit looks like to old Revell kit from the 60s.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 12/31/2019 at 12:21 PM, michael mott said:

Happy New Year Jack.

Happy New Year to you also, Michael.

Yes, the instructions do not mention anything about a rabbet in the bow or stern posts.  In looking back over the build and instructions, after installing and fairing the filler blocks bow and stern the instructions called for installing the real keel and bow/stern posts before beginning the planking. In hindsight I think I should have just installed the keel first and left the bow/stern posts for last. I think that would have allowed me to bring the planking past the bow/stern a little and then fair it back to the "backbone" leaving room to install the bow/stern posts.   Lesson learned.

Yes the Jack Plane is nice. I've already given it a try and it cuts nicely.  I think I now have Lee Valley's entire offering of miniature planes.  I use the block and shoulder planes the most, especially for trimming planks.

Thanks for the compliment and for looking in.

On 12/31/2019 at 2:34 PM, lmagna said:

Glad to see you feeling a little better and getting back into the workshop again Jack.

Thanks Lou.

The 1:700 kit measures about 8 inches in the box so I guess the model is around 6 inches.  The other kit has markings for the Turner Joy as well, so I can build either variant.

Glad to see you back in the workshop.  I hope your recovery is going well and I am glad that Santa was good to you.  Wishing you and Marge a Happy New Year and good health in 2020.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

4 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

Wishing you and Marge a Happy New Year and good health in 2020.

Thanks, Ryland. And Happy New Year to you and Pam also.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got the rest of the fiddly bits completed and installed. The model is now finished.  I just have to find a more permanent plank to mount her on.

IMG_7718.JPG.a616632cdfa19a8b35dac43105c88316.JPGIMG_7724.JPG.d85e3296a4b79990780efaaa8dd02893.JPGIMG_7719.JPG.1b00303af162fd44086e99fe1c1847e7.JPGIMG_7720.JPG.584d4eccef07c8373ca944b99a7e7f54.JPGIMG_7721.JPG.0840b2a0a928878fb415d7c538ba5f6b.JPGIMG_7722.JPG.20128f3ac5ebd2794228b078c560dab4.JPGIMG_7723.JPG.ae92ac6fb6a3373a52cc72ce9978d262.JPGIMG_7725.JPG.2ae18124cfb94ede802ec4b11dcf6bf8.JPGIMG_7726.JPG.e07ad58adde386c5ddb8ba78867228d3.JPG

That turned out quite nicely Jack. Why do you need a new mounting plank? The one you have looks nice to me!

Congratulations

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

It's actually a shelf unit

Still looks good from where I'm sitting.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Very nice work! I also like the mounting stand, maybe it simply needs to find the right shelf 😉.

Edited by VTHokiEE

She looks lovely  Jack,    sorry to hear about your health  - hope you are on the mend.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Very nicely done, Jack.  I think the base looks good also.   Just push it back to a wall and job done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I guess you guys are right. I glue the cradle to the base, so now it is permanent. Thanks for the comments, Likes,  and for following along. 

Looking good, Jack. Plexiglas cover to cut down the dust?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild