Jack12477

Titanic Lifeboat by Jack12477 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:35 scale

Well after a 2 week stay in the hospital followed by 2 more weeks at home feeling like a slug with no energy and no ambition, I finally ventured into the ship yard to at least finish the ropes I had started to install before my unplanned surgery. I'm still restricted to no lifting over 10 pounds and no driving but I am getting outside for walks around the neighborhood.

I used some tiny doll clothespins I picked up in Michaels some time back to hold the rope in roughly the shape I wanted while the white glue I applied to the rings dried.

Photos follow: 

IMG_7690.JPG.86047147d076badd3989914a7594a27a.JPGIMG_7694.JPG.ef89881ecde5e201535f820be42d0d44.JPG

Got a few goodies for Christmas.  I picked up the Lee Valley Veritas miniature bevel up Jack Plane which works really well and it is only 5 inches long.

IMG_7687.JPG.10cd42984ec94611f6b95773f003a86c.JPGIMG_7688.JPG.cabbca00606fac0e2bf1e203da6f650c.JPGIMG_7689.JPG.eb79e96acd22037dab1a341cc909ce8f.JPG

And my son decided I needed a few more kits to build so he got me a 1:700 and 1:320 destroyer kit.

the 1:700 Tamiya waterline series kit of the USS Cushng DD797

IMG_7686.JPG.afe2497c44b0444806999a89c57f0263.JPG

and the 1:320 Atlantis kit of the USS Forest Sherman DD931

IMG_7696.JPG.11cd5e81d2a245f0e1dcd7b70963abe1.JPGIMG_7697.JPG.f9ce921c880afc26a89c1cd01470ef70.JPG

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and a Happy New Year to come.

Edited by Jack12477

Happy New Year Jack. Good to hear that you are recovering well and that you are able to get back to your "Challenging" Kit It appears that you have a good looking model for all your effort in overcoming the pitfalls of less that good instructions, I was surprised that they did not include the info on the rabbet at the bow and stern that is a serious omission in my view. I'm envious of the new miniature plane, looks like a nice bit of kit.

Michael

Glad to see you feeling a little better and getting back into the workshop again Jack.

That Fletcher class in 1/700 will be a real challenge, what is it, 3 maybe 4" long? The Forest Sherman on the other hand might be a nice companion for your Sullivans. Too bad you don't live out here, you could go on board the Turner Joy and get a bunch of pictures for your build. The kit looks like to old Revell kit from the 60s.

On 12/31/2019 at 12:21 PM, michael mott said:

Happy New Year Jack.

Happy New Year to you also, Michael.

Yes, the instructions do not mention anything about a rabbet in the bow or stern posts.  In looking back over the build and instructions, after installing and fairing the filler blocks bow and stern the instructions called for installing the real keel and bow/stern posts before beginning the planking. In hindsight I think I should have just installed the keel first and left the bow/stern posts for last. I think that would have allowed me to bring the planking past the bow/stern a little and then fair it back to the "backbone" leaving room to install the bow/stern posts.   Lesson learned.

Yes the Jack Plane is nice. I've already given it a try and it cuts nicely.  I think I now have Lee Valley's entire offering of miniature planes.  I use the block and shoulder planes the most, especially for trimming planks.

Thanks for the compliment and for looking in.

On 12/31/2019 at 2:34 PM, lmagna said:

Glad to see you feeling a little better and getting back into the workshop again Jack.

Thanks Lou.

The 1:700 kit measures about 8 inches in the box so I guess the model is around 6 inches.  The other kit has markings for the Turner Joy as well, so I can build either variant.