HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Jim Rogers - FINISHED - 1/48

Reg,

I LOVE it. I have used the Amati Keel holder for all my builds and the Hobby Zone slip is magnitudes above. The Winnie is a beast, it fits very well with room to spare. Your ship locks solid and you can rotate 360 degrees if you have it mounted high enough. The screws that came with it were a tad short and would not tap into the secure nuts. You will have to get creative with attaching your ship after the stern is built all I did was remove the clamp, slide the base up to the stern, slipped in a piece of scrap and tightened her done worked great. The Hobbyzone Slip is a solid and very useful piece of kit.

After cutting several strips with a band saw I just dropped the hammer on a Byrnes Saw as I did not like the blade marks on the strips and cutting those 1/64 strips for the Black Strake was a PITA. You can almost read a newspaper through those they are so thin so I am going to replace those with 1/32

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

• 1 month later...

My boxwood carvings arrived today. OMG Beautiful! The detail in these tiny pieces is exquisite. For others who order their boxwood carvings from Jack you will be happy,happy,happy. 

I am continuing on with planking.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Hi Jim,

Can you tell me who you got your boxwood carvings from.  I'm not sure who Jack is. Or you might tell me and I'll have a face plant, knowing exactly who he was and didn't realize.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Jack is the person Chuck Passaro had make his CNC carvings for the Winchelsea. He is located in China.There is a link somewhere on MSW that links you to Jack so you can order the carvings in Boxwood. I am sure Chuck can provide you the link. These are beautiful highly detailed carvings.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Re : the hobbyzone slip. It looks good but I bought a fair-a-frame from model expo and I found it inadequate. This looks much better -would you or others still recommend it (shipping costs will double the price ) ?

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Looking good Jim.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

3 hours ago, Rustyj said:

Looking good Jim.

Thank you Rusty. I am leaning towards staining it as the Boxwood carvings seem to just fade into the hull. I have the Fruit wood gel stain Chuck recommended so I’ll do a test with The  Fruitwood and Oak Gel stains on some scrap and see how the carvings look.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

• 4 months later...

I tend to go off on my own on many kits so on this one I have stained the hull with the gel Fruitwood, coppered the bottom, added Trenails and had the resin figure head painted. Finishing up Trenails, about another two weeks and awaiting Chapter 4

1B4AA18F-CDDD-4E53-8069-4FDF4139C8C8.jpeg

F5A509CA-12FC-4F80-B5BB-E2C8CE3176B1.jpeg

2474F5D5-4F68-48EE-97AD-09CF54AED3EF.jpeg

9BEBAE16-D64D-4AEA-9617-8808804E8DEE.jpeg

4812386B-12DD-45F7-9A70-0EC61BDEEADE.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Jim

she looks good!!!   I can tell your having fun with project.   It might be a bit of wait for the chapter 4 stuff as I am not finished with it myself.   I cant believe you actually caught up to me.....

Chuck  

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. You made a bit of progress between posts 39 and 41!

Tell me ( because I'm thinking of treenailing my Winchelsea) did you drill all the holes with a hand drill or electric and if the latter did you use a big DIYers one (is there one with a chuck capable of holding such a small bit?) or a small modellers one? I ask because I can't find a small modellers drill with a soft start.

I'm doubtful about treenailng because it seems to me that done well it's superb and done less well it looks awful. You clearly know what you are doing however.

Fred

I photocopied Chuck’s plan, cut out a strip with butts and one without butts, taped them to the planking and then used my Dremel with a # 79 bit to drill the holes . I then slipped in a piece of 10lb test monofilament coated in PVA. Took a LOT of hours. 

Regards,

Jim Rogers

• 1 month later...

I decided to put my time to good use and start on my stand. I picked up some curly maple, joined it together for a base that is 14x47, ran it threw my drum sander. I purchased the Amanti Pegasus Mounts but really hated the color so I had them painted.

B2004960-B7FB-4B73-A813-EAD71974D337.jpeg

DB8DF346-9384-4997-86F0-5B8FBD5C517E.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

After figuring out how I wanted to mount the ship I got rid of the back braces that came with the mount and cut a rabbet in the base plate. The ship now sits snug in the mount with the hull against Pegasus head and the keel resting in the rabbet. Intentions are to use my Shaper Origin and set the mounts down 1/32 to lock in place. Planning on engraving sextants in the corners with name and date engraved in base.

4B7666A2-5298-43D6-B409-E9ADBE452F2F.jpeg

928AAAE8-C59D-4C08-B795-FB59D3FEBDAF.jpeg

7D04E0C3-F7BB-4E81-8BCA-34172330B936.jpeg

093FBBB7-873D-4736-AD71-81F385DB555B.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

• 8 months later...

This happened to me and @Backergave me the solution,  resize your photos and upload again. It worked for me🙃

Winnie looks great though, even capsized🙃

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Wonderful.....yes you will have to flip and resave those images...

You did a great job on the cheeks and head.  That looks great.   So much better than any kit project on the market.

jim2.jpeg

jim.jpeg

If you are talking about the figure head that is hand painted. It is Chuck’s resin version. I also have a boxwood one but like the painted one more. If you are talking about the cheeks and brackets those are all available in Chapter five.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Jim I just tuned into your build. I have been so preoccupied with other things I don't dwell on MSW as much as I would like.

Having said that the treatment you are giving your rendition is quite eye appealing and your work is impressive.

My Winchelsea sits at the bulkhead stage and right now witnessing your work I feel like the rabbit in Alice In Wonderland...."I'm late, I'm late"!!!!

Joe

• 3 months later...

Been busy busy working on a display for the whaling museum in Lahaina Maui . A buddy of mine built the Charles W Morgan and asked me to build the case. The trick with this case was it had to (1) be used for transport without damage to the model, (2) be the model display case with no modification after shipment and (3) have a water feature. It all worked…go figure. Anyway after this project I got back to work on my Winnie.

B032910F-3167-47EE-B746-C6BB0893511D.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers