HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Jim Rogers - FINISHED - 1/48

My Winnie will be a tiny little bit different then others. I just did not like the look of the Captains cabin walls so I built my own and painted them white. This made the cabin a tad bit narrower so without doing a lot of trimming on the doors it could not fit four doors. Went with three and a filler. Looks fine. Not historically or Chuck accurate but nobody will know except this little group. Also added a ship’s cat, the Admiral loves it.

F0849ED0-B401-44D5-83C9-CFBD747E0ECB.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

• 2 months later...
On 7/18/2021 at 11:33 AM, Jim Rogers said:

Been busy busy working on a display for the whaling museum in Lahaina Maui . A buddy of mine built the Charles W Morgan and asked me to build the case. The trick with this case was it had to (1) be used for transport without damage to the model, (2) be the model display case with no modification after shipment and (3) have a water feature. It all worked…go figure. Anyway after this project I got back to work on my Winnie.

B032910F-3167-47EE-B746-C6BB0893511D.jpeg

Wow, I have a Charles Morgan sitting in the box. Bought it on ebay for a song. Now you've got me interested in this again...

• 3 weeks later...

Winnie update. Got the outside planking done on the fore castle and weather deck. What is it going on with these upside down images. This is the only site on which this happens. They are basically the same size. Some post correctly others don’t. It is frustrating!

3C44B611-77F7-486C-AB34-AF144EB7D34D.jpeg

FAC6C31C-12B7-40F7-AED3-CB02D45293F6.jpeg

3C8759EC-2DDD-4C7C-B786-11863D90C029.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

I have no idea why that is happening to you. But the progress looks really good. I like what you are doing with the model.  Its nice to see you forging ahead.  

Are you taking the pictures with an IPhone and posting them directly to the site? If so I had same issue - depends which way you hold phone to take picture, i had to edit the picture on my phone and flip it around and then save it again - it would then upload to MSW the way it was supposed to.

Jim,

Have been having the same problem and it’s causing me to utter very inappropriate things for polite society so I tried an experiment. I use an iPhone for my posts and took the two photos below. One is holding my phone horizontally with the lens at the top left and the other is with the phone flipped 180 degrees with the lens at the bottom right - need to confirm but maybe this is what’s going on. Both pics are correctly oriented in the photo library on my phone, but one is flipped when I post here. 

Don

D086A8AA-092C-4549-8FD2-9F911F40AB8F.jpeg

EA2DB1A7-9B94-44F1-B0BD-16BE50618155.jpeg

I had the same problem, I discovered that indeed the lens in the upper left is the way to go!

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

I always make sure I hold my iPhone 11 horizontally, with the camera push button at my right thumb, both pictures and movies are upright and can be watched on a computer screen or tv upright and full screen, that is, no small vertical phone recordings.

Even uploading to this site can be done without problems.

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

• 3 months later...

Just to confirm, for reasons known only to Apple an iPhone or iPad phot will upload and post based on the orientation when it was taken whether it’s flipped in editing or not. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I had six photos posted originally, four were upside down so I removed them. And there is the rub, it is random. I went out flipped them upside down in edit thinking that would solve the issue, reposted, nope still upside down. Infuriating!

Regards,

Jim Rogers

My photos sometimes post upside down from my I phone too. Posting here strips the Apple orientation tag or something. I solve this problem by re-saving my photos in editing software before posting here. I use "preview" on a mac to do this but other simple editing software will reset the orientation to a non I phone "proprietary" orientation tag. Hint: Editing on your phone will not solve the problem. Are we off topic yet?

Kurt

Edited by Kurt Bainum

• 11 months later...

Well my Winnie is finished. As I have said before I took some liberties with Chuck’s awesome design. Mine is nowhere as crisp and beautiful as Stuntflyer Mike’s, I envy your talent, but I really like mine. I coppered the hull, added Trenails to hull and main deck, used ebony deadeyes, added gun crew and cook figures from Chris Watton and even found a figure I could sit on the head. I am currently in the stand planning stages and she currently rests on Pegasus. Thanks for a great time Chuck. Really, really, really looking forward to Speedwell.

8BC69466-D5F0-420A-9C7C-B5C322E9D049.jpeg

9DCD744C-8BE4-4552-B3DC-BF758D2F9D12.jpeg

DA787CF9-ACBA-4A78-BEEE-B38AC1E6993C.jpeg

90AC7744-0418-475A-9A92-6679DEAB2EC0.jpeg

170C6B72-570E-4F9C-9F6D-B2690F6D3EBA.jpeg

558DA44C-4645-4B0C-BB92-F4793B44E12A.jpeg

E5109ADF-B929-42DB-A0A3-F23194FBDD79.jpeg

8B30C7C9-5CE8-47FF-B9A4-BC4680A35954.jpeg

2644116B-5B00-4893-A162-28F1DB571B55.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Lovely work Jim

That is a very nice model of the Winnie.   I hope you enjoyed the project.

Chuck

Congratulations Jim, she looks great. The figures add a whole new layer to the model and the copper looks really good. The crew really gives perspective to the size of Winnie. Looking forward to seeing how you display her.

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Congratulations on finishing your model. Definitely made it yours with a very different take. I’m sure you are justly proud of your Winnie and looking upon her will bring joy for years to come. I also look forward to your plan for display.  Well done!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Congratulations on finishing Winnie. 

She looks great and the crew put that bit extra to the gundeck!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Way to go Jim!! Your ship looks awesome. A real treat to see.    :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Superb Winnie ! I really like the customization done on this very nice version and the addition of the crew. This makes it a unique model.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Looks really nice, Jim! I’ll be referring to your log as I’m building mine.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back