Wondercutter ?

It was discussed under a two word name  Wonder Cutter

I think the consensus was that it is a bit overpriced..

I don't recall if anyone has actually tried it.

I see there is a similar device, offered at a similar price on Amazon Prime..   You could try it, and send it back if you don't like it..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

There was a review in the May/June Narrow gauge and shortline gazette. It was favorable but at $400 bucks a little spendy. Works by 40,000 vibes per second of the blade. Does generate a little heat under use,so ventilation should be used. Works well on styrene basswood and card. Good for us old guys with sore hands.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

I would rather buy a Byrnes saw for that money.   That is crazy at $400.  Or buy another kit or two......or $400 worth of boxwood or swiss pear sheets.   

I am sure there are far less expensive way to cut basswood and styrene.

Chuck

9 hours ago, Chuck said:

I would rather buy a Byrnes saw for that money.   That is crazy at $400.  Or buy another kit or two......or $400 worth of boxwood or swiss pear sheets.   

I am sure there are far less expensive way to cut basswood and styrene.

Chuck

That was my thought. I'm contemplating my first power cutting tool (besides my Dremel) and was looking at the Wonder Cutter. But not sure what I'd get the most use from. Table saw? Scroll saw? Band saw? Miter/chop saw?

BTW, Happy Halloween to all

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

I think the Wonder Cutter is the devil's way of telling you that you've got more money than brains. :D Perhaps there are production manufacturing applications for a tool like that, but I agree with Chuck. You could almost buy a Byrnes saw for that much money and for sure it would last many times longer than the Wonder Cutter. Or a Byrnes disk or thickness sander, or a relatively decent scroll saw. Or any number of other serious machines that would promise to save money over buying strip wood and expand your scratch-building horizons. 

It looks like the catch with the Wonder Cutter is the old Gillette safety razor scam... you have to buy their proprietary blades from the looks of them and they aren't particularly cheap. It appears they only come in one style, too. There's nothing the Wonder Cutter can do to make the blades last longer and, in fact, they probably dull faster, so what are you really getting for your $400 at the end of the day? I wonder if duct taping an Xacto #2 to one of those buzzing things I see advertised for the ladies might not have the same effect for a lot less money. :D 

Hmmm.... for that much money, one could by a scroll saw and have cash left over for wood, beverages of choice, and books on ships. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I could imagine that it might be useful tool (apart from the price) for free-hand cutting or carving, but how would one make straight long cuts in thicker material ? I don't think it would replace a circular or scroll saw.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I just watched the video on their website and just burst out laughing!!!!  I really like the way the guy is suddenly wearing glasses when using their tool like it makes him smarter for using it.  He also starts smiling so it probably gave him wind too.  Any tool that comes in blue for men and pink for women  - well enough said.  So in my opinion its an over priced tool that you just do not need.  Buy a decent knife - in fact for that money you could buy many decent knives!

If the Wondercutter is your kind of tool,  you might be in the market for a $200 glue applicator..

—MICHAEL ROSE

It looks, as if the Micro-Mark guys moved the comma too far to the right. On ebay you can get such adjustable pipettes for less than USD30 : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-channel-Adjustable-Volume-Pipettes-Transfer-Micropipettor-Lab-1000-l/143391759789?hash=item2162d09dad:g:XCYAAOSwaCtdmJne

I remember from the time, when they were first introduced into general lab-work in around the early 1980s, they were not that expensive.

wefalck

Micro Mark should have on the cover of their catalog - Guaranteed that anyplace you look will be cheaper than here.  😀

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Wefalck i think Gregory was just showing his excellent sense of humour, not serious.🤣🤣🤣

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

1 hour ago, kurtvd19 said:

Micro Mark should have on the cover of their catalog - Guaranteed that anyplace you look will be cheaper than here.  😀

Ha ha Kurt that is cruel - but oh so true.  The really do peddle expensive c**p.  Please feel free to insert your own vowels and consternates to create the word crap :)

I have picked up on some stuff at Micromark over the years that I couldn't seem to find anywhere else.  But Amazon and China have changed all of that..

—MICHAEL ROSE

29 minutes ago, paulsutcliffe said:

Wefalck i think Gregory was just showing his excellent sense of humour, not serious.🤣🤣🤣

Yep, understood. But I wanted to show that some model shops try to take innocent modellers for a ride. It may have worked in those dark, pre-Internet ages, but today we have access to a global market and share knowledge beyond the plate and the trade - and they still try.

I think these automatic pipettes with their disposable tips would be quite handy for applying measured quantities of glue say when planking. I also thought of creating my own rivet-strips on decal paper by placing measured blobs of acrylic gel, for which these pipettes would be useful too.

wefalck

Seriously how can a glue dispenser that costs £28 be any good what so ever for the every day modeller.  Do you know how much glue I could buy for that much money.  Enough to build two complete ships and a lot of brushes to spread the glue too.  Come on I understand that we should embrace technology but thats like buying an atomic clock.  Its good but so is my £1 Casio and isn't an improvement in real life.

The only thing that the manufacturer reckons this tool won't cut through is bull sh*t  - if you've got £400 quid to buy one of these you seriously need help or medication.  I've loved this thread its made me laugh so much can't wait for the next one like this :)

6 hours ago, wefalck said:

I think these automatic pipettes with their disposable tips would be quite handy for applying measured quantities of glue say when planking. I also thought of creating my own rivet-strips on decal paper by placing measured blobs of acrylic gel, for which these pipettes would be useful too.

Here in the States a quick trip the local pharmacy and pick up insulin syringe and needles in various sizes.  I have to thin wood glue a bit but it works very well with he largest needle.   Also, many craft stores sell syringe like glue applicators for very little money.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Here in the States a quick trip the local pharmacy and pick up insulin syringe and needles in various sizes.  I have to thin wood glue a bit but it works very well with he largest needle.   Also, many craft stores sell syringe like glue applicators for very little money.

Insulin needles and syringes are rather small. I've discovered the veterinary syringes and needles used on large animals are really a great size for model gluing and delicate oiling jobs. My vet is nice enough to save some used ones for me.