HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Wacom - FINISHED - 1:48

Took my time deciding whether or not to attempt a build log but for better or for worse here goes.

When I first came across the Winchelsea on Chuck’s website I thought it to be well above my skill level but after reading the logs and being encouraged by the helpful attitude of folk on this forum I decided to “give it a go”.

Being a couple of months away from finishing my current project, it gives me time to start squirreling away some of the items that will be  required.

At the moment I have two parcels on their way from Chuck and Jim Bynes is in the process of building one of his table saws for me hopefully it should be here by Christmas.

Thats it for now, I will keep you posted on progress as I know I will need all the help I can get.

Edited by Wacom

Reg

Welcome aboard! You'll have a great time with it. You've picked a fine project and your taste for a

westie is good too! My 9 year old westie is my shop supervisor and she runs a tight shop!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas came early to this shipyard in the form of a Bynes benchsaw.

No excuses for not being able to cut neat planks.

I am still working on my steam engine but that should be finished by the end of January then its on to rearranging the workshop to cater for Winchelsea.

I am still waiting on the next delivery from  Chuck which will give me everything available for the build to date.

Just a quick pic of my current project, its much further along than this though.7898D01D-6A2C-443B-BFFD-B46DE4622A19.thumb.jpeg.ebf9cd67f6a46f57c59c272dfe057187.jpeg

Reg

Took the drawings to our local copyland today.  Asking them to print out the four large general arrangement  drawings

They questioned the instructions saying that it would require a sheet size AO the largest they could handle.

Being a metric country doesn’t help.

I checked the 50” by 30” and it came out at 1016mm by 762mm, after printing the scale box measured exactly 1/4”. Much to my relief

I also had them print the same files onto A2 paper as a quick reference on the bench plus chapter one and two then spiral bound.  Saves having the iPad open on the bench.

Another step completed.

Reg

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update.

I finally finished my steam engine ahead of schedule so its now onto Winnie.

Took a week to re-organise the workshop  (half a double garage).

I opted to purchase the bulkheads from Chuck along with chapter one and two laser cut pieces.

They are  extremely good quality and I find the AYP easy to work with.

A few pics of progress to date. I am now in for a lot of sanding as I fair in the bulkheads.

IMG_1315.thumb.jpg.717c2284b9cf7f7ec659b816845fa9c7.jpg

I popped down to the Kitchen bench top factory and had the guys cut me a chunk of granite to use as a flat surface for gluing up the various  components, I like it being heavy, not so likely to shift.

IMG_1316.thumb.jpg.35d249e874d2d96886ed1c6a1af6e87e.jpg

IMG_1317.thumb.jpg.f2fdde9b38464cbc227a537371ac4246.jpg

IMG_1319.thumb.jpg.709c1bff26e986299b2e5c53833284aa.jpg

All bulkheads in place and ready for fairing

IMG_1338.thumb.jpg.9fb0c6203780680060c015dcc80a7d9d.jpg

To stabilise the bulkheads during fairing I spot glued ply strips I cut from the bulkhead waste.  I feel sure the experts on here know a better way but this is one of the joys of trying something different.

Being ply they should come of easily.

IMG_1324.thumb.jpg.bc713b297afe26411d12257b19834171.jpg

IMG_1323.thumb.jpg.ec9ef63ea9246871f734c6d8c129f231.jpg

Now where is that sandpaper? ;)

Reg

That's a great start. Looking good!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Time for another post before Christmas kicks in.

Having spent the last few days fairing in the bulkheads my arms need a good rest.

I made up the jig shown in the photo.  This held the ship firmly while I sanded the bulkheads, also ensured that I did not snap off any of the extensions.

I left some material at bow and stern to finish after I have fitted the port framing and stern extension timbers.

The last photo shows the battens fitted to allow marking for the sill positions.

I just ordered a set of the resin castings from Chuck, something to look forward to in the New Year.

Heres wishing you all the best for this holiday season, time to recharge the batteries for another year of ship building.

IMG_1339.thumb.jpg.7305564c8a5863342967491bda11ce18.jpgIMG_1340.thumb.jpg.c1fe5be5eec6693ca3adc8dc52d0f60d.jpgIMG_1341.thumb.jpg.f3e3c204aa0ce897561a2aa4cf97ae8b.jpgIMG_1342.thumb.jpg.f6f8f9dac0926a4e75b32f71b254f2fa.jpg

Reg

• 2 weeks later...

21 hours ago, nzreg said:

Did someone mention that we need to make sawdust :omg:

That's just the first salvo in the saw dust battle. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Been spending time prepping the frame for planking.  The Knight-heads are fitted, good job Chuck allowed extras as I found them to be tricky to get right.

I have faired the inner bulkheads at the bow and now I am ready to try my hand at planking.

I must say that without the excellent chapters to guide me it would have been almost impossible to get to where I am now.IMG_1359.thumb.jpg.c4add348a4b2b728a0ea8e255568268b.jpg

IMG_1358.thumb.jpg.b7c209c7d3b5975b33ea3d87e87707e9.jpg

The resin carving set arrived from Chuck in good time and is magnificent.  Thanks to both Chuck and Jack for these pieces of outstanding craftsmanship.

Is there anyone on the forum who would know where I can find the Fruitwood Gel Stain?  It seems none of the retailers I have found will ship to New Zealand and its not something available locally.

Any suggestions welcome.

Reg

That looks good.  You might have to test various gel stains you can get locally.  Look for a similar color to fruitwood. test it out on the back side of the resin 

Also....dont forget to add the sheer strip along the quarterdeck.  You should do that before starting to plank.

• 4 weeks later...

been watching these builds with great interest and have been considering "having a go" unfortunately for me i have  a super busy life at the moment and i havent had any time to do the Victory that i am part way into so will have to hold myself in check until i get a lot more done on that. been nearly a year since i last did any on it 

Im also in NZ.

1 hour ago, Erik A said:

been watching these builds with great interest and have been considering "having a go" unfortunately for me i have  a super busy life at the moment and i havent had any time to do the Victory that i am part way into so will have to hold myself in check until i get a lot more done on that. been nearly a year since i last did any on it 

Im also in NZ.

Hi Erik,

I find that enjoying this hobby is more important than having to force yourself.  The Victory was going to be my project until I started reading Chuck’s write up on Winchelsea after that it was no contest.

Do what you can when you can, it surprising how things come together.

Reg

Reg

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you....yes some of those parts were tricky to mfg.   Just be careful because some of them are fragile.  

• 1 month later...

Finally some progress to report.

As I mentioned in Jim’s log, I had the upper planking finished on both sides but felt the the finish on the planking and especially the gun-ports left a lot to be desired.

After much thought I removed everything as far as the black strake and started again.

This is my second attempt and although far from the standards set by so many others I am reasonably pleased with the way it turned out.

I have also faired the inboard bulkheads.

All that remains to do is touch up some small holidays in the paint work and apply a couple of coats of Poly to help keep it clean.

Then its on to tick stripping and plank sawing.  I enjoyed working on the two rows of planking below the wales so am hopeful I will enjoy this part of the build (at least there are no gun-ports to do)

IMG_1492.thumb.jpg.077c5168f91343bd38ef3813f4037bf4.jpg

IMG_1490.thumb.jpg.d832d908a0898cd4e425f3067fd544f3.jpg

IMG_1491.thumb.jpg.4fa2435248e5f4db26465b96c7d4cec7.jpg

Reg

Your build looks nice.  You are making good progress. Your work area looks very clean and organized.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Very nice job. I'm glad that you redid it seeing you weren't happy with the first planking.

I've replaced many offending plank and am much happier for it!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Just found your build nzreg and pleased to see a Winchelsea in 'un zed'.  

It's coming along really nicely and that planking looks great. 

I've been very tempted to start one myself, especially since Chuck changed tack and made it a group project.

However, I'd better make use of the plans I've already got and finish what I've started...

Good luck with the build.

• 1 month later...