HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Wacom - FINISHED - 1:48

Great job! Finishing chapter 2 is a satisfying milestone. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Superb work. A big milestone with a wonderful result !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Good looking Winnie, great job. If mine looks half as nice I'll be pleased 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

• 1 month later...

Slow progress to date, the port side quarter gallery and frieze installed.

The mouldings are not as per Chuck, the making of the scrapers for them had me beat after many, many attempts so I decided to go with the A.L. scrapers I had

As Mr Sinatra said "I did it my way" whilst trying to keep the ship in the spirit of this fine prototype.

The roof and lady in the corner are only sitting there as are the windows, I consider them too delicate to permanently attach at this stage.

And so onto the starboard side.

IMG_1517.thumb.jpg.cca78bfd10067fe89c0026da958992e0.jpgIMG_1516.thumb.jpg.0990d83eb1b191dbd58918ca1dcb4bf2.jpg

Reg

That looks very good.   The molding looks a little wide but other than that they look fine.  Well done.

Yes that is very nice!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Oh that is great. I'm thinking I'll be doing the same when I get to the stern! Thanks

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

On 6/29/2020 at 11:44 PM, nzreg said:

If you ever wondered how someone with a creaky back and even creakier neck gets to work on those difficult bits of Winnie look no further.

I find that jigs to hold this large hull are a must, this one was developed to allow me to add all that fine decorative details on the stern. 

What a good idea.

I used a jig to hold my hull upside down so I could copper the hull after there was stuff on the deck. I then had problems fitting the rudder. If only I'd thought of turning it through 90 degrees it would have been a lot easier. Ideas like this are so simple - when someone else shows you how. 

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

• 5 weeks later...

Nearing the finish of chapter three.  The eagle eyed will notice the little lady Missing from the left column.  In one of my senior moments I broke her while removing the casting from the sprue, as luck would have it the gremlin that lives in my workshop took the opportunity to hide the missing piece, never to be seen again.8EEC59BD-73C8-49FB-9104-61C537405959.thumb.jpeg.3c1246aa567f21d580a73316ddf3c533.jpeg

Thankfully Chuck is generously supplying a replacement, but with shipping the way it is it could be sometime yet.

My thanks must also go to Mathias (Beckman) in allowing me to use the design for the frieze on the upper counter, thank you.B19A61A6-88B8-4975-A1B3-7D043DBDEC40.thumb.jpeg.a81efe7f716dc0a63db83d4648174e31.jpeg

Taking a leaf from Jim’s Book I spent some time making a stand from bits lying around the workshop.

The base was bought by my wife around 25 years ago as a key rack, made from Rimu a native New Zealand timber, it only required polishing with oil to finish.

By mounting the ship on the stand its possible to see the sweet lines of the hull to full advantage.4007E246-60BB-4136-85B8-9569D15F33F0.thumb.jpeg.7373dcbe99819ec33634e5a6f185259f.jpeg

Reg

17 hours ago, nzreg said:

the gremlin that lives in my workshop took the opportunity to hide the missing piece, never to be seen again.

Great job on the stern. Sorry to hear that the same gremlin that is in my shop inhabits yours too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

She looks fantastic.  You should be quite pleased with that.  Very nice and clean model you have.  I will note that you will need to turn the model upside down one more time to drill and file out the rudder opening hole in the lower counter.  You might want to remove the Lantern for that.  I also have a newer design coming for the lantern that is made entirely out of Boxwood so no painting is needed.   It is slightly different than the one you used.   Just in case that one might get damaged.  I was going to leave that until much later in the project.  It makes me nervous just looking at it.  Here is the prototype for the improved "all boxwood" lantern.  The windows are just .015 thick.

lantern.jpg

lantern3.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments Chuck, the lantern is temporarily mounted at present, I like to make delicate items like this removable so they can be added closer to the finish of the build.

Thanks for the advice re the rudder opening, it is my intention to open this up before planking the deck to make it easier to clean the debris out.

Reg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the comment.  After much searching I found a place in Canada that would ship to NZ via UPS.  Had to take a second mortgage to pay the shipping but feel the results speak for themselves (the joy of living at the bottom of the planet🥴)

Strange that most retailers wont ship stuff like this.

I see that both Amazon and eBay sell it in the UK but seem to be out of stock.

best of luck.

Reg

• 5 weeks later...

wow, thats stunning, very clean and tidy

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst waiting for chapter four parts to arrive (5 to 8  weeks delivery time) I decided to put my newly purchased Proxxon mill to use (mainly to learn how to use it)

The first project was to cut the hole in the stern, then using the mill to make the components for the rudder.

Took a few attempts but am generally pleased with the outcome.  I found the pintles the most difficult part to get right.

IMG_1565.thumb.jpg.33d89cbefd97a24d2eceb6dc4be3b4cd.jpg

Following on from this I tackled the cannons having purchased the resin barrels from Chuck some time ago.

I initially made them from AYC but wasn't too happy with the results.  My next attempt was with the local native  timber Kauri.

This timber is easy to work and takes a nice finish.  There is still some work to do on these pending the arrival of  materials from the U.S.

IMG_1566.thumb.jpg.6eeb7d421960ef2020a784113887e216.jpg

Meanwhile I am tackling the capstan, then onto chapter four.

Reg

Wow that looks great Reg. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks for the comments and reactions, always gratifying.

Guillermo, I used the 1 15/16” and 1 9/16” from Chuck these being the closest in size to the drawings.  No finish, used as they came except for trimming the trunnions to length and removing the odd piece of flash.

Reg

been looking at this build and thinking about doing it but the fact we live in NZ and freight cost is a big downer plus i dont really have the space to do any scratch build works. would be interested in what you had sent over and rough costs if you dont mind Reg

Awesome build as well. great work