nzreg

HMS Winchelsea 1764 by nzreg - 1:48

Great job! Finishing chapter 2 is a satisfying milestone. 

Well done...that looks really good.  You should be very happy with those results.

Superb work. A big milestone with a wonderful result !

Thanks guys for the comments and reactions, always encouraging to know Winnie is on the right track😇

Slow progress to date, the port side quarter gallery and frieze installed.

The mouldings are not as per Chuck, the making of the scrapers for them had me beat after many, many attempts so I decided to go with the A.L. scrapers I had

As Mr Sinatra said "I did it my way" whilst trying to keep the ship in the spirit of this fine prototype.

The roof and lady in the corner are only sitting there as are the windows, I consider them too delicate to permanently attach at this stage.

And so onto the starboard side.

IMG_1517.thumb.jpg.cca78bfd10067fe89c0026da958992e0.jpgIMG_1516.thumb.jpg.0990d83eb1b191dbd58918ca1dcb4bf2.jpg

That looks very good.   The molding looks a little wide but other than that they look fine.  Well done.

Thanks  guys for the comments and reactions.

If you ever wondered how someone with a creaky back and even creakier neck gets to work on those difficult bits of Winnie look no further.

I find that jigs to hold this large hull are a must, this one was developed to allow me to add all that fine decorative details on the stern.

IMG_1519.thumb.jpg.65c0412f6b18f506ee552e97977b677d.jpg

Thanks for the reactions. Rusty I used this to plank the bottom of the hull and added an extra piece to allow it to be attached to the bench. The hull then just locks into place and is quite solid.

On 6/29/2020 at 11:44 PM, nzreg said:

If you ever wondered how someone with a creaky back and even creakier neck gets to work on those difficult bits of Winnie look no further.

I find that jigs to hold this large hull are a must, this one was developed to allow me to add all that fine decorative details on the stern. 

What a good idea.

I used a jig to hold my hull upside down so I could copper the hull after there was stuff on the deck. I then had problems fitting the rudder. If only I'd thought of turning it through 90 degrees it would have been a lot easier. Ideas like this are so simple - when someone else shows you how. 

Nearing the finish of chapter three.  The eagle eyed will notice the little lady Missing from the left column.  In one of my senior moments I broke her while removing the casting from the sprue, as luck would have it the gremlin that lives in my workshop took the opportunity to hide the missing piece, never to be seen again.8EEC59BD-73C8-49FB-9104-61C537405959.thumb.jpeg.3c1246aa567f21d580a73316ddf3c533.jpeg

Thankfully Chuck is generously supplying a replacement, but with shipping the way it is it could be sometime yet.

My thanks must also go to Mathias (Beckman) in allowing me to use the design for the frieze on the upper counter, thank you.B19A61A6-88B8-4975-A1B3-7D043DBDEC40.thumb.jpeg.a81efe7f716dc0a63db83d4648174e31.jpeg

Taking a leaf from Jim’s Book I spent some time making a stand from bits lying around the workshop.

The base was bought by my wife around 25 years ago as a key rack, made from Rimu a native New Zealand timber, it only required polishing with oil to finish.

By mounting the ship on the stand its possible to see the sweet lines of the hull to full advantage.4007E246-60BB-4136-85B8-9569D15F33F0.thumb.jpeg.7373dcbe99819ec33634e5a6f185259f.jpeg

17 hours ago, nzreg said:

the gremlin that lives in my workshop took the opportunity to hide the missing piece, never to be seen again.

Great job on the stern. Sorry to hear that the same gremlin that is in my shop inhabits yours too!

9 hours ago, Rustyj said:

Sorry to hear that the same gremlin that is in my shop inhabits yours too!

Possibly the American cousin to my Kiwi one🤔🤔
Thanks for the comment and thumbs up.

Well done Reg. Your stern arrangement looks very good! And I like your base. It looks really nice with those brass collumns. Where have you got them from?

Matthias 

She looks fantastic.  You should be quite pleased with that.  Very nice and clean model you have.  I will note that you will need to turn the model upside down one more time to drill and file out the rudder opening hole in the lower counter.  You might want to remove the Lantern for that.  I also have a newer design coming for the lantern that is made entirely out of Boxwood so no painting is needed.   It is slightly different than the one you used.   Just in case that one might get damaged.  I was going to leave that until much later in the project.  It makes me nervous just looking at it.  Here is the prototype for the improved "all boxwood" lantern.  The windows are just .015 thick.

lantern.jpg

lantern3.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments Chuck, the lantern is temporarily mounted at present, I like to make delicate items like this removable so they can be added closer to the finish of the build.

Thanks for the advice re the rudder opening, it is my intention to open this up before planking the deck to make it easier to clean the debris out.

Thanks for the comments Mathias, the columns are turned from a piece of gunmetal that I had left over from my model engineering days.

Gunmetal is a form of bronze and is very easy to machine, it takes on a golden colour that will compliment the yellow cedar.