HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Wacom - FINISHED - 1:48

On 6/30/2020 at 12:44 AM, nzreg said:

If you ever wondered how someone with a creaky back and even creakier neck gets to work on those difficult bits of Winnie look no further.

I find that jigs to hold this large hull are a must, this one was developed to allow me to add all that fine decorative details on the stern.

IMG_1519.thumb.jpg.65c0412f6b18f506ee552e97977b677d.jpg

Looks Great! This is the first picture I have seen that really relates the size of this Winchelsea build. 

On 10/23/2021 at 1:09 AM, Chuck said:

Im eager to see more progress on this one…..Hows chapter seven coming along

Chapter seven is finished as is the stove, no pictures at present, these will follow.

I am now between a rock and a hard place with the build.

As you know the USPS will no longer deliver to New Zealand or Australia which leaves the following options.

use UPS or similar (too expensive) continue the build as a total scratch (not sure my skill level is up to it) or, worse case put the boat into storage until shipping resumes.🤔🤔🤔

I have read elsewhere that the reason USPS wont ship is that NZ and AU wont accept mail from the US, this is not the case.

Reg

Just wait a few weeks and they will open up again.  If not maybe other services in other countries are shipping there.  Maybe send it to another kind Winnie builder in the UK who can then turn around and ship it to you from there.   When they buy the next chapter they can allow your parts to piggy back to them to save on shipping.

Reg, Have you tried NZ post Youshop

You get USPS or whoever to ship to the NZ Post depot inthe US,  Oregon I think, and they onsend it from there. It caters for all the people like us at the quiet end of the earth that some people won't ship to or those who only do domestic.

I've used it before with goods from companies in the States that use one of those mad US Postal service calculators that makes the shipping 10x the cost of the item. It's worked well without much cost.

However, the item probably needs to be commercially packaged/ labelled. as I suspect it relies on scanning tech. I tried it once for a friend in the states sending me some scale rope in an envelope with a handwritten address and coding for the depot and it disappeared.

• 1 month later...

Good morning Reg

Were you able to get your next chapter parts from the US or does the Covid import embargo still apply?

I will shortly be ordering chapter 8 parts and I am very happy to include your order if it helps. I am assuming, of course, that there is no import embargo into NZ from the UK. I intend to place my order in the next week or so. Chuck usually dispatches the same day and packet takes about a week to get here.

The possible downside is that, from time to time, packets from the US are picked out by customs and then subject to import duty and VAT and sometimes a handling charge. That can add about 20 - 25% to the cost. There will also be the onward postal charge to NZ.

I guess about 20% of packets are stopped by customs and subject to charges but there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to the process.

And I suppose I should quarantine the packet here for 7-10 days before sending it on to satisfy our respective consciences. Let me know if this helps.

All the best

Fred

11 hours ago, jfhealey said:

Good morning Reg

Were you able to get your next chapter parts from the US or does the Covid import embargo still apply?

I will shortly be ordering chapter 8 parts and I am very happy to include your order if it helps. I am assuming, of course, that there is no import embargo into NZ from the UK. I intend to place my order in the next week or so. Chuck usually dispatches the same day and packet takes about a week to get here.

The possible downside is that, from time to time, packets from the US are picked out by customs and then subject to import duty and VAT and sometimes a handling charge. That can add about 20 - 25% to the cost. There will also be the onward postal charge to NZ.

I guess about 20% of packets are stopped by customs and subject to charges but there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to the process.

And I suppose I should quarantine the packet here for 7-10 days before sending it on to satisfy our respective consciences. Let me know if this helps.

All the best

Fred

Thanks for the offer Fred, very generous of you.

The USPS are still not shipping to NZ except express parcel, they use Fedex to deliver but very expensive.

At present I intend waiting this thing out or wait till Chuck has several chapters available and decide at that time the best option.

Not a day goes by that I look at Winnie and wish🥺

Many thanks again.

Reg

Reg

• 3 months later...

Hi Reg,

Any change in the shipping situation? Keen to see more of your fine work and I’m also at a loose end and considering starting a Winnie.

Hi Timmo,

Good to know you are still active.

Situation as far as I know is that USPS will now ship to NZ, however, due to covid only one sort centre in the States is operational.  I was advised by NZ Post that this could add 3 to 4 weeks over normal shipping times which would make it around the two month mark for delivery.

I took the plunge and ordered two chapters plus ships wheel from Chuck and had it sent by Express, should (hopefully) have it in a couple of weeks.

You mention an interest in Winnie……go for it, you wont regret it, there is nothing else on the market like it.

Reg

• 1 month later...

Its been some time since my last post, due in part to shipping being suspended to New Zealand.  Lets hope that the last time it happens.

Now, having taken delivery of Chapters 8,9,10 there is no reason not to continue.

Looking back I seem to have neglected to upload photos of Chapter Seven so here goes, a mixture of flash  and non flash.75997873_WinchelseaSix.thumb.jpg.93652cc80a6c549a7112ce05fef4de76.jpg

422910633_WinchelseaSeven.thumb.jpg.7e39810aeaaca3c844cc96e08c4aaa99.jpg

2134885802_WinchelseaNine.thumb.jpg.e37f50cf780c071064bd7fb7740d79f6.jpg

And so on to the Forecastle. I had some issues with the curve of the  bow but was able to sort them out.

I also wanted to mount two guns  here but found the partial deck not wide enough, so I installed extra planks to avoid having the rear trucks hanging in space.

1978510103_WinchelseaOne.thumb.jpg.5a7192df45f486c7e7c92f50f519e4e4.jpg

205825189_WinchelseaTwo.thumb.jpg.0e8f885af84563818321260d206c6a91.jpg

1401996026_WinchelseaFour.thumb.jpg.09be7df1459dc696dfd3c601af9d2b14.jpg

2056492822_WinchelseaThree.thumb.jpg.075b63ce409e9b33f3de8ff49a4cf26b.jpg

928337017_WinchelseaEight.thumb.jpg.a3cf8eb7ee87a91f3393c672c895f589.jpg

1185732357_WinchelseaFive.thumb.jpg.2f3b1daad2d8b24313805fbb49699466.jpg

Time for the Quarter Deck.

Reg

I love the added details.  Beautiful work....👍

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

1 hour ago, bdgiantman2 said:

You are the first builder on this project including the shot racks,  they look great on your model. Did you use bearing balls for the cannon shot? You have done a great job on your Winnie model.

Hi and thanks for your comments. The “cannon balls” came from Caldercraft in the UK.

Reg

Excellent work Reg. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 1 month later...

A quick catchup.  Chapter ten nearly finished, just waiting on ships wheel to complete.

Meanwhile i started scratching chapter eleven by making the swivel mounts from Kauri, six sided left natural.  The frieze went on well after printing on tissue and secured with acrylic matt medium.

The steps were made by using an AL shaper and rounding the ends with a needle file.

I also added the lantern to the stern along with the chains.

Thats as far as I am able to scratch build this beautiful ship.

five.thumb.jpg.d9fa10a89dbf51d268c202c624dc3589.jpg

one.thumb.jpg.42dd6af18d0b1072f277ff63e167ddf3.jpg

four.thumb.jpg.e9a3e9cbd541f20b42713e4ff0680da3.jpg

two.thumb.jpg.bf47d7969ea22fc9bfb147f772c4a8e0.jpg

three.thumb.jpg.19c9ed8b04e37f688605a2550c0198fd.jpg

Chuck has advised that the United States Postal Service has, once more suspended standard shipping to New Zealand only leaving express shipping which i have found to be too expensive.  Last time it was several months before service was resumed so no telling how long it might be for this time around.

In the meantime Winchelsea has gone back into storage.

Reg

Very nice work Reg!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Well done, the extra touches are nice. Sorry about the shipping, I’m sure that’s frustrating. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose