Gregory

Dont Ever...

Well, OK..

I had just unwrapped a fresh 9v to put in a smoke detector.  I dropped it in my pocket because I was going to take it upstairs later.

It was a few minutes later that I felt like a bug was biting my thigh..    I reached down to scratch it and felt/remembered the battery.

I quickly pulled it out of my pocket and realized it was in there with a paper clip I had picked up somewhere and forgot it was in my pocket.

It had taken a while of walking around for Murphy's law to kick in, and the clip and battery to join forces..

A rude awakening, but no serious damage..

19 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Don't Ever...  

....discard old 9v batteries in the same container with other 9v as even when they are supposedly discharged they still have enough juice to start a fire if they come into contact with each other just the right (or is it wrong?) :wacko:way.

Don't ever check out your new high-powered head lantern by looking directly into it as you flip the switch on.

And one learned the hard way by a former student of mine: Don't ever test whether a rolled-up, foil-lined Juicy Fruit wrapper will conduct electricity when inserted into an electric wall outlet.

7 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Don't ever test whether a rolled-up, foil-lined Juicy Fruit wrapper will conduct electricity when inserted into an electric wall outlet.

That really sounds pretty cool.. As long as you are using something like plastic tweezers to do it..

Sort of like dropping small gauge wire across  12v auto battery terminals..

7 hours ago, marktiedens said:

Don`t ever have an open flame or make sparks near a car battery ( don`t ask me how I know)!

Mark

When I was living in Nottingham, a neighbour across the street, in the middle of the night, must have tried to prime the carburetor of his car engine with petrol or something like this, it got ignited by spark and the whole thing blew apparently into his face - I was awakend by a scream, as if someone was being killed and when I ran to the window, I saw him being rolled on the floor by some friends to extinguish the flames. A few days later I met a colleague and his girl-friend, who was a nurse in the burns unit of the local hospital, and she told me about a guy with terrible burns they got the that night in question ...

The thing about open flames is true specially if the battery has been charging. An acquaintance of mine burned all the hair off his face including his eye lashes when checking a large heavy equipment battery with his lighter instead of a flashlight.Wet cell batteries produce hydrogen gas while charging. The same guy also let go of a pressure washer hose which came back and knocked him out cold. Also ,its unbelievable but he was twice involved in excavator accidents which resulted in the excavator sliding off a cliff he was removing rock from. I'm not sure if he's still alive. Went by the name of lucky Eddy.

When discarding all my small household batteries I cover the positive and negative terminals with cellophane tape (aka scotch tape), then I store them all together in a zip lock bag and eventually take them all to the local dump and drop them at the hazardous waste spot to be dealt with properly.

All after I read about a lady that burnt down her house when she threw two batteries into the trash.  They contacted each other, created a spark that started a fire and...

Loved the bag-o-squirrels and dog in the boot stories.

12 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Don't ever leave the mini-table saw running while trying to pick up the piece of wood you just cut.   Luckily, I caught myself just as the blade nicked the skin.  

Had this mishap with a full size saw back in the day when my experience with the big boy versions was lacking. It was also a  just nick for about 5 stitches but I recall not wanting to check the damage once I grabbed hold of the wound. Felt like a sledge hammer upon contact as opposed to a knife cut. Lesson learned.

1 hour ago, AON said:

When discarding all my small household batteries I cover the positive and negative terminals with cellophane tape (aka scotch tape), then I store them all together in a zip lock bag and eventually take them all to the local dump and drop them at the hazardous waste spot to be dealt with properly.

All after I read about a lady that burnt down her house when she threw two batteries into the trash.  They contacted each other, created a spark that started a fire and...

Loved the bag-o-squirrels and dog in the boot stories.

This is good to know and will certainly follow the advice.

Don't ever walk on the shoulder of the road on a dark night wearing dark non-reflective clothing and with no flashlight with your back to on-coming  traffic.  You will never see the drunk driver approaching from behind you.

Don't ever walk on the shoulder of the road, day or night, while wearing headphones, or ear-buds, while looking at your Smartphone. You will never hear the approaching vehicle that is about to hit you.