Bob, In my case I am referring to castello boxwood, that is the only “boxwood” that I would use for planking or framing. I do have a log of buxus sempervirens (the real boxwood) that I bought many, many years ago from All Righteous Hardwoods  - it came as a half log, and was sold by the pound, if I remember right it originates from Turkey, and you are correct by the time I mill that log and get a few good billets from it it would indeed be a waste to use it for planking or framing. Not to mention very expensive....  I have found a nice alternative to Castello- Anigre wood, it isn’t as clear as Castello but close and it does have a nice creamy to gold ish color, it mills well and holds a nice edge it may be a little harder on blades than Castello but you can buy a lot of blades from the savings. Still expensive but around 1/4 or less of the cost of Castello which is getting harder to source.