Spanish galleon 16th by ApxeoS - 1:60 - from 3D project to ship model

I have been working on the model for quite some time, but before there was no certainty that it would be possible to finish the job.
The project is not tied to a specific historical ship and is a collective image of a transitional vessel between the beginning and the galleon of the late 16th century, which was widely used at that time in the Mediterranean basin.

I was interested to give my interpretation. The starting point was two images.
The first one.
This engraving has long been known, but not everyone pays attention to the fact that another engraving from this Bruegel cycle depicts the same ship,
but in other planes. Take a closer look at the details, the location of the yards, pennants, etc.

86_2.jpg

20g1.jpg

Edited by Apxeos

The second one.
This is an image from a 1575 book, Itinerario de navegación de los mares y tierras occidentals, Juan de Escalante de Mendoza.
The image is blurry and most likely borrowed from another source that has not reached us.
It has designations of structural parts, such as length, width, keel, etc.
But most importantly, the image gives what is critically important for me - the shape of the stern and stem, the length of the keel and the depth of the underwater hull.

_1575_M.png

Juan Escalante de Mendoza Libro nombrado regimiento de la navegación de las Indias Occidentales2.jpg

Juan Escalante de Mendoza Libro nombrado regimiento de la navegación de las Indias Occidentales3.jpg

Juan Escalante de Mendoza Libro nombrado regimiento de la navegación de las Indias Occidentales4.jpg

Edited by Apxeos

Mendoza writes that the well-known Spanish rule uno-dos-tres (1-2-3) for the construction of ships at the time of writing is outdated.
If you look at the above figure from this book, inconsistencies with this rule are clearly visible.
It has a longer keel, lower stem and stern and shallow hold. Obviously, the midship frame had to be changed accordingly.

The width of the floor frames (Spanish - plan) should be greater than the standard 1/3 of the maximum width of the hull (Spanish - manga).  Such a vessel could come close to the coast, but it was unlikely to sail well in the ocean. It was also well suited for the calm Mediterranean Sea.  This was the basis for the reconstruction.

Edited by Apxeos

When building this model, the planned stern transom could not be made. The result was a semicircular stern.

It became clear that even in the model of cardboard can not quickly make significant changes in the design. This can only be done in a virtual model.

Based on the corrected drawings, a 3D model was built on a 1: 1 scale of the original.

22с.jpg

Next, each part was transferred to a plane and files were prepared for laser material cutting.

The choice of such technology for the model is due to the fact that I already had experience in similar work. Moreover, a 3D model was already built during the reconstruction process, which greatly facilitated further work.

I used to have a post here with a model of the Furttenbach 1629 galleon, but now I can’t find it.

1_M.jpg

3_M.jpg

1_Fс.jpg

с3с.jpg

Edited by Apxeos

Now about the model itself.

The type of construction model is traditional, on a keel frame with additional elements designed to eliminate torsion of plywood.

This design is widespread, all its pros and cons are well known.

Most importantly, I wanted to create a model for myself that I myself would be interested to collect.

Therefore, from the very beginning, I wanted all the interdeck space to be free and well visible through open hatches and cannon ports.

Impressive work. The time spent getting things correct in CAD are paying off in the wood.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Apxeos, that is definitely a galleon. Since the carrack that preceded the galleon was often referred to as a nao, people assume it means a specific type of vessel, when in fact nao just means ship.

You might be interested in this one as well - French, from 1548.

1415512501_GuillaumeBrousconLeConquet1545.jpg.5a92934671269ab614fda5bf274b608d.jpg

And these ones, also French, from 1545.

2117879026_NormandieMapgalleons1and2.jpg.76e557e8c178d1507f16097eb0e306ac.jpg

You're doing very well with it. I'll be following this build with great interest.

Steven

A little more about the design.

Despite the thick plywood, it is clear that the frames must be strengthened.

In this form, there is a danger of breaking them during further work.

During the construction of a real ship at the shipyard, this function was performed by wales (in holl. berghout).

They pulled the frames into one power structure.

I applied the same solution to the model.

Thus, the basis of the rigidity of the model structure, as in a real ship, is a frame of frames and wales, which allows you to collect it in the future, like a real ship gradually, from the bottom up.

Installed jambs of cannon ports on the main deck.

IMG_9с.jpg

IMG_8с.jpg