Spanish galleon 16th by ApxeoS - 1:60 - from 3D project to ship model

You're making very good progress with the build; the ship is already looking very attractive, and I'm sure it will look even better when it's finished

You're quite right about the words galleon and carrack. People were fairly careless about names at the time and those two terms are what we call them today, not necessarily what they were called. The current understanding of a carrack is a two or three-masted vessel with a round stern as in your second picture above, but certainly the Mary Rose, although she had a flat stern, was in all other respects a carrack, as is the ship in your first photo, which is the earliest flat-sterned carrack I know of.

Steven

I will continue.
Set capstan, pumps, gun carriage, beams and beam bracket supporting them.
At this stage, the main task is to verify the collectability of the model body and the correctness of the solutions in principle.
Therefore, I do not plan to finish small parts on the lower deck now, I will not paint the internal volumes of the hull, etc.

1с.jpg

2с.jpg

I see in your post of November 25 (see photo below) that the upper frames have tenons that fit into slots in the upper planking. Is this based on contemporary representations, or did you do it to add to the strength of the upper part of the hull?

8с.jpg

I'm enjoying the build very much, by the way. A beautiful piece of work.

Also, I'm very glad to see a galleon model with this particular shape of beakhead, which I've never seen in any other model galleon even though there are plenty of contemporary pictures of them.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Beautiful model

Very educational build 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi Steven!
The tenons have only technological value, they allow you to increase the structural strength and correctly position the part.
I try to combine the pleasant and the useful, so from the very beginning I developed a model with the prospect of its release as a KIT ship model.
This imposes certain limitations in the design.

I also have to use only a small number of standard materials (mainly plywood and veneer), which are commercially available for KITS.

On the other hand, this allows me to use simple tools for assembly, accessible to any amateur.

Ron

10с.jpg

11с.jpg

Edited by Apxeos