HMS Unicorn by harlequin - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

a few pics of Unicorn. I bought this kit for about £15.00. Took a chance because it is very old but it appears to be ok. Had to buy some new instructions because they had seen better days and in a day I had got the frame and keel under way.

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1211.JPG

Edited by harlequin

great find, good luck with the build.

It is interesting, how little these Corel kits changed. I built one not so long ago (different ship), and apart from the box, everything was the same like yours above. The ply frames, decks, down to the design of the plan folder.

Past builds: Prins Willem,  Amati Coca

Current Build: Occre Diana

• 7 months later...

Perhaps I overlooked it in your Bellona log, but have you discussed the quality of Corel materials? In my very limited experience with them, it has seemed to me that their kit quality is somewhat directly related to kit expense, i.e. more expensive kits have better materials, and reviews of Corel's flagship model kits usually comment on the good materials found in them. Bellona certainly looked very nice, so I'm wondering if you have made any similar observations.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I started the kit - the materials are very nice.  It's not very accurate though when it comes to the kit plans, and the kit takes some weird liberties when it comes to the figurehead and the stern area in particular.  I have a build log in my signature that goes through things until I ended up dropping the build.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

34 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I started the kit - the materials are very nice.  It's not very accurate though when it comes to the kit plans, and the kit takes some weird liberties when it comes to the figurehead and the stern area in particular.  I have a build log in my signature that goes through things until I ended up dropping the build.

going to proceed and see where it ends up. I am one of those builder that is not really bothered about historical accuracy of model kits....I just enjoy producing a model. If others think this is wrong that doesn't bother me either....will keep you posted with pics as I progress. 

Well busy with the frames and bearding today.....dry fit of the top deck to check things, a little bit of grating and a cannon just to get the overall feel. One or two frames need a bit of adjustment but not going too badly. Going to concentrate on the sanding of the frames and transom for the next day or so. 

33E6222F-F85B-4E59-B641-069B26D0BACC.jpeg

2A022B11-779C-40D3-B4F8-B6475B496831.jpeg

4CBD7063-4FAA-4829-B216-9B8FD2444337.jpeg

270FA950-9814-4DE2-A631-BB2563C60C57.jpeg

A few things I have completed today. The first couple of planks have been fixed both sides and one side the position of the gun ports has been sorted. I have also worked on the transom cast metal moulding which everyone knows how cast metal refuses to bend, so I stuck some strong duck tape on the reverse and deliberately snapped the moulding in two places giving enough play for the transom curve....once the moulding is painted the breaks will be virtually unnoticeable. The upper deck is not fixed yet.

E635CE5F-A67C-457B-A9B2-E88AFA2B9DCE.jpeg

967A8E2E-645E-4FE3-B5F6-027164931BD9.jpeg

6550143E-4BB0-4DCB-A6C1-D6D0A4B4AE73.jpeg

C6220A49-A832-4618-A2DC-9014E3E05FB5.jpeg

0F094E96-B8CC-4A42-A94E-A6175AB1BC75.jpeg

Great start, sorry for late reply  was a bit more difficult finding you.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Some more first planking above the top deck, crossbeams(not yet fitted): going quite well at the moment. Will probably add a stern post as landlubber suggested. Cannons will be given a splash of yellow ochre paint. The last 3 months has seen me mad busy on the Corel kits. I have some brass letters arrived today to fix to Bellonas name plate now that she is completed.

4D108891-C4A4-47B0-A937-B6D6A34D45B3.jpeg

1F8BCAA2-4FBB-4509-94F9-81B84D189A05.jpeg

D7BB6C85-1FEC-4A68-8CCF-1A8D3457E345.jpeg

46358B91-BB3C-4B46-9C8B-6AEEF19EFDC0.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Harlequin,

Just curious, is there a reason this log is in the 1501-1750 forum when the date on the kit for this ship is 1790 and do you know if this kit is based on a real ship as there was no HMS Unicorn launched in 1790.   There were a lot of Unicorns launched, including 1776, 1782, and 1794 plus some earlier and some later.

Cheers

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

My belief is that the Corel kit of the Unicorn is of the 1748 28 gun frigate of the Lyme class.  Manufacturers of these models often get the histories wrong, or they confuse ships of one era for that of another.  That explains the "1790" notation on the box.

That said, I am having real trouble distinguishing just how this model is inaccurate.  I know that the figurehead is incorrectly placed, but she closely matches drawings and models of her.  Can someone please elaborate on this?

Thanks!

Bill

Long time mate  - very nice build  - remeinds me of Greyhound.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Take a look at my Unicorn/Lyme log linked in my signature.  I agree with Bill that the Corel kit is of the Lyme class in Chapman’s Architectura.  My log goes into the many inaccuracies of the kit.  Still builds into a nice model though as some of the logs on here show.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)