Hi all,

Model Ship World will be undergoing a server migration before the end of November. This is due to the current system not fully supporting the requirements of the new core CentOS software. This software isn't site-related, but instead controls how our sever operates. Currently, we only have limited time on the software we have, before it becomes legacy and non-supported. It's imperative that this change is made.

These changes to both hardware and software will ensure MSW operates in a robust way for a long time, and also maintains our current level of security  for our server against external elements.

At the moment, we have no time schedule for this, other than 'before month end'. 

When the server is migrated, there will be minimal downtime here, and the end result will probably be that the DNS will need to migrate again. In layman's terms, this means that the site will start to come online again in waves, globally, over the space of a few ours.

We'll let you know more as and when/if we find out.

Thanks,

Jim

4 minutes ago, SpyGlass said:

You will do a back up wont you !

I understand that you believe the work has no site implications ...BUT...

Remember  "The Great Crash"

We have numerous backups. The new server will make that even more bulletproof. 

9 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Don't you mean St Jude !!! ;);)

Not being Catholic I had to look that one up. Fits to a "T" though!:D 

Oh crap, no wonder why it didnt work last time.  I will go out and bury every statue I can find tomorrow and we will certainly be covered.  :blink:

2 hours ago, James H said:

We have numerous backups. The new server will make that even more bulletproof. 

Has a restore been tested though? I have seen this a few times - IT says "yes we have a backup" only to find they can't actually restore the data when it was needed!

The hosting company I use was hit by a ransomware attack over the weekend. This left multiple databases and backups encrypted. My own site was down but doesn't contain anything other than an app, so for me it was minor but for others it was very serious.

I don't envy you the work supporting this site. I am extremely grateful to you and all the other admins for the hard work you do! 

Richard.

Just now, Chuck said:

No passports are being issued,  but we are building an impenetrable wall (firewall) to keep out all of the nasties!!!!  It will be a beautiful firewall.  🏗

😄

7 hours ago, RichardG said:

Has a restore been tested though? I have seen this a few times - IT says "yes we have a backup" only to find they can't actually restore the data when it was needed!

The hosting company I use was hit by a ransomware attack over the weekend. This left multiple databases and backups encrypted. My own site was down but doesn't contain anything other than an app, so for me it was minor but for others it was very serious.

Backups have been tested in the past, so we know they work. We have both on-site and off-site backups.

Our host is also a well-established and extremely reputable host that is also home to numerous large corporations. We are located in a major datacenter in Chicago. 

Our host is beginning to migrate the data to the new server, which is now active. 

We hope to keep the same IP numbers, so downtime should be very minimal. They are also changing our drives for solid state devices, and this should improve performance even more. 

A decision was also made to increase our operating costs somewhat, and as well as implementing RAID and having separate backup drives, we are also doubling our server's RAM. This will make every day operation of the site far, far faster. We should notice, with any luck, that the experience here is far better for you all.

THANK YOU ALL FOR KEEPING US UP TO DATE AND SAFE, and.....

Chuck, the statue buried in the yard procedure...….

St. Joseph buried upside down in the front yard facing the house.  This placement assures he will work very hard to get the house sold, or praeteria, protect our website. 

Allan 

Edited by allanyed