Not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not then please move it to where it belongs. I finally started building my Gunboat Philadelphia and when I got to the bottom pieces (23S, 23P, and 24) I found they are of varying thicknesses and not usable. Last week, I contacted Model Expo using the online form (using the link given by a fellow member here) and even attached photos showing said parts. No response of any form. I sent an email to their modelexpo.parts email shown on their website and still no response. 

I can't move forward with the ship until I source the parts. Anyone have any other ideas? Or am I out of line posting here given no response or acknowledgement? 

Thanks for time and consideration. If my post is out of line, please delete it. 

In my experience, I didn't normally get a response, but a package with the requested parts just showed up a handful of days later. I would wait a week or so to see if they arrive in the mail before purchasing elsewhere. Is there another part of the build you can work on in the meantime? Maybe a lifeboat or similar to keep you occupied while you wait? I hope this helps and good luck getting it resolved! 

-Max

"We should not moor a ship with one anchor, nor our life with one hope."

Current Build: Benjamin Latham, Model Shipways

On Hold:  Pilot Boat Phantom, Model Shipways

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest

They usually respond with the appropriate parts but they never seem to acknowledge the requests other than by the delivery of the parts.  One would think that with their commitment to providing the parts that they would also figure out that not acknowledging the requests makes people write to this forum thus informing the world that they screwed up and provided bad parts to the customer and then left the customer wondering if they were in fact going to provide the parts. 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Ive had the exact same experience has both above responders.   I made a request, heard nothing, 3-4 days later a box with parts arrives with a note saying thanks for being a customer.   As someone who learns and makes mistakes, I appreciate their part replacement policy and appreciate that people and not robots are running the show.   I can't think of any other model supply vendor that fulfills part replacement without question and that quickly.   Just know that they will get to your request.  

My experience with John Garcia is your parts will arrive in within a week or so. Model Expo customer service is outstanding as far as I'm concerned.

6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not then please move it to where it belongs. I finally started building my Gunboat Philadelphia and when I got to the bottom pieces (23S, 23P, and 24) I found they are of varying thicknesses and not usable. Last week, I contacted Model Expo using the online form (using the link given by a fellow member here) and even attached photos showing said parts. No response of any form. I sent an email to their modelexpo.parts email shown on their website and still no response. 

I can't move forward with the ship until I source the parts. Anyone have any other ideas? Or am I out of line posting here given no response or acknowledgement? 

Thanks for time and consideration. If my post is out of line, please delete it. 

I feel for you brother, having built better than 50 or so various ship/boat model kits over the years from various manufacture, I have found problems with part thicknesses, color variations, fit and finish of parts to be problematic with ALL kit manufactures. But as a ship model builder especially wood ships, I have found the adage "adapt and overcome" to be paramount in building an acceptable model. Some times you have to learn to work with what you have and if it don't work then improvise. This philosophy has made me a much better modeler and I appreciate the challenge that poor quality can some times bring.       

I said earlier that Model Expo always carries through on their replacement parts policy.  On an unrelated issue from another customer regarding parts replacements - for a many years old kit - the owner of Model Expo contacted me today to help him contact one of our MSW members that he had a problem contacting.  I was able to help him so he could contact the guy rather than waiting for the guy to wait a long time and then try to contact them again.   Was able to help him.  Just shows they do care and will do everything they can to get the parts to the customer.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

No need.  Members can see this thread and know their problem will be addressed by Model Expo. 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I've had the exact same experience with ME.  No response to my issue and then a few days later a package shows up on the front doorstep with replacement parts.

If they could close up their communications gap issue, they would probably never get a complaint of any kind!

Have had my share of miss-fitted or damaged part, but ME has always impressed me with outstanding customer service.

My hat off for Mr. Garcia taking such good care of us.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry