HMS Blandford by SigEp Ziggy - 1/48 scale - Cross-section - POF

Until now, my modeling experience has been in plastic. This will be my first attempt on a 'plank on frame' build in wood.  Wish me luck!

These are the woods I will be using, subject to change.  Also, I have started working on the frame jig.

6nov2019 004.jpg

20oct2019 003.jpg

21oct2019 001.jpg

28oct2019.2 001.jpg

20oct2019 005.jpg

28oct2019 002.jpg

Good luck, I shall follow with interest as I am thinking of doing this at some point :)

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Thanks Jo!

I like classic movies and if you ever saw 'African Queen' with Humphrey Bogart, he has a line and I hope I quote it correctly "... I'm kind of a jack of all trades, a master of none." That's me! so we will see if all my talents in the real world, translates to modeling.

Shane

Edited by SigEp Ziggy
correct quote

I needed to cut the 1/4 thick boards down to 3/16.  I don't have a thickness planer so a had to set-up my benchtop bandsaw to do the job.  I will have to sand the cut side.  I printed the first of the double frames.  The red frame will glue to the blue frame to make Frame 1.

20nov2019 005.jpg

Edited by SigEp Ziggy

Hello Shane

Now that saw I do like, I could cut some frozen meat on that ha-ha-ha.

Now I am a bit worried about the fist part, you are not making a cage for me are you so you can take me to the vets ha-ha.

Sorry but hey you are doing a great build.

Jo.

Current Build:

IL Leudo - Mamoli - 1:34

FD10 Arnanes 701 Billings scale 1:50

"Good conversations are the ones you have with people you do not know"

I have cut out the pattern for both the keel and the first frame.  I glued the frame patterns with rubber cement which I understand should come off real easy, so I can clear coat at some point.

24nov2019.2 002.jpg

24nov2019.2 003.jpg

I'm looking at your building fixture. It appears to be an upside down version of 'Hahn's' building style, which means that you will actually be building it right side up!    

"The journey of a thousand miles is only a beginning!"

Current Build;

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH", "Active build!"

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

tmj,

I think it is because this is not a laser cut part, is Hahn's a laser cut kit or just a style of building?  So, I have seen builds where it is built upside down, but those had laser cut jigs.

Ziggy

Hello Shane

I am very pleased that I make you smile and I hope I continue to do so as long as someone feeds me and pats me on my furry head or even a wee tickle under my chin I will be fine, meow, meow 😼.

Jo.

Current Build:

16 hours ago, SigEp Ziggy said:

tmj,

I think it is because this is not a laser cut part, is Hahn's a laser cut kit or just a style of building?  So, I have seen builds where it is built upside down, but those had laser cut jigs.

Ziggy

Hahn is a style.  So called "upside down" and he also stylized the spacing on the ribs.  There was one (I think) kit maker and one timbering set maker who used the Hahn style that I know of.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

tjm, 

Thank for the info, I have seen them built that way, thought it was the way the jig is setup.

Thanks Jo,

You're always such a playful kitty.  Love your work on the mast and bow sprite.

I have an update myself.  Got this from Amazon today!  Also, I started working on the keel and Frame 1, AND I discovered that the jig drawing and the keel drawing don't lineup.  I was smart enough to not cut the jig to size and allow some room for adjustment.

X-Y attachment.jpg

26nov2019 001.jpg

26nov2019 002.jpg

Jo, 

It is a X-Y attachment for my drill press.  It will move the part I'm working on North and South (Y) as well as East and West (X).  So, for $40, I now have a mill.  My drill press will be doing triple duty as a drum sander as well.  More to follow.

Shane xoxo

On 11/25/2019 at 11:01 PM, mtaylor said:

Hahn is a style.  So called "upside down" and he also stylized the spacing on the ribs.  There was one (I think) kit maker and one timbering set maker who used the Hahn style that I know of.

There is only 'one' source of Hahn's style 'kits' that I personally know of, and they're only short kits supplying few laser cut parts, plans and the raw materials for you to layout and cut your own frames from... http://www.a wood supplier.com/shipkits.html

Edited by tmj

"The journey of a thousand miles is only a beginning!"

Current Build;

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH", "Active build!"

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

True.   They call them "timbering sets".... wood enough to do the framing and I think still a set of plans with them.  As for plans, one has to snail mail the Hahn family.  I suppose, someone with some time, could scan any plans and create their own Hahn style set.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have made some progress on the Blandford, I cut the notches in the keel and added brass tube to hold it in place on the jig.  Also, I have glued the pieces of the frame halves together and will glue the frame halves together next.

7dec2019 003.jpg

Hello Shane

I am lost for words my friend, you are sooooooo gooooooooood.

Wish my build was as nice and clean also crafted like yours.

If you carry on like this you will not be talking to me 😢.

Jo xx.

Current Build:

Jo,

Bite that prickly tongue of yours, your work is beautiful and I'm just getting started.

Anyhow, thank you for your encouraging comments. 😽

Shane

BTW Thanks for all the likes everyone!

Edited by SigEp Ziggy
Post Script