French Frigate by Barbossa - 1/64 - POB based on La Vénus (ANCRE) - semi-scratch

Hello,

You're welcome Sjors. the moreover : You have been missed.

Thanks for looking in B.E. : even if this project were to fail, I'm happy I got this far. Still,  this is a semi scratch build gunnery and other stuff were purchased straight from the market.

Back to the windows and dare I say we have a breaktrough ?

Before I was trying to resolve this problem and go the "plastic way", I made an attempt by using enveloppe-paper. Because -perhaps- no painting was required.

I sincerely hope you notice the difference.

The process is quite simple : cut small strips and fix them one above and across another, then repeat this action.

End of story.

I'm planning to realise more items  than necessary, so I can pick out the better ones

IMG_3844.jpg

IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_3850.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Goed gedaan (well done) 👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'd like to offer a suggestion.  Rather than make those all one piece, make 3 separate windows of 9 panes each.  I fear that when you go to bend them around the gallery they will snap.    Here'a photo of one of my Licorne's gallery. Once the window(s) have been made they can be fitted and the wood between the windows set into place.  

3-23m(12).thumb.JPG.da51d01896774393daeee06416064956.JPG

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good morning Mark,

You certainly have a point there. Indeed, the installation of the quarterdeck will involve some awkward curves that might jeopardize this.

Although the frames are made of 2 x 2 paper strips ( see first pic , the lightbrown one ) and received a coat of water diluted PVA glue, I can still bend them a bit but they still have a minimal strength.

But if my understanding is correct,  the addition of the frames inside the solid quarterdeck piece , a full plastic piece and black paper behind the plastic might cause some troubles.

In previous attempts, I made some incisions in the quarterdeck piece : this allowed an easy installation.

Convenient detail : a decoration covers the place where the incision is to come ( between the windows ).

By consequence, I'll fix separate plastic + black paper behind each separate window.

My assumption is that the stern will cause less trouble, on the other hand : there's 7 windows to realize. But as mentioned regarding the Q'deck windows : I'll produce more than necessary and make a selection afterwards. It's fun !

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

I think you have a good plan.  There is a curve to the stern but when you're ready to do the seven windows you'll probably have it sorted.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 months later...

Hi,

At last some progress.

Mark, your remark refering to the stern shifted priorities.

As the stern at both extremities dictates the position of the quarterdeckgalleries, why not seize the stern gallery?

Well, after quite some trouble, hesitation, different approaches, here it is.

Still some finishing required, not perfect and most of all, not by the book but I an settle with it.

IMG_3937.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_3942.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Hi Christian, I'm ashamed to say that I have only just found your new build.  Great techniques and execution, will certainly be keeping an eye on you now!  I think your solution to the stern and lights worked very well, love the colour tones.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

You're welcome, Jason.

The colors are a bit of a lucky shot.

Applying some coats of (water-)dilluted PVA-glue made painting of the windowframes redundant.

The arch above the windows = same story. This is a decorative thread which I firmed up with cyano glue and guess what's happened ? A nice looking brown which was pretty close to a warm (woodish) color.

Talking about woodish effect : for painting purposes I often use AV New Wood 311.

For the pillars, the Artesiana Latina scrapping tool is an object of necessity.

The grey paper behind the windows was the only option left because obtaining a real window effect was far beyond my skills.

Regarding to the latter I'm giving it some thought using the same technique for the sternlamp.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Your stern looks fantastic, Christian.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Just a small update: still working on the stern + some preparations related to quarterdeck galleries, but that's for later.

The lower decoration strip is brass (no scratch building involved here). Purchased this item by Cornwall Boats.

Other strips are more or less selfmade. It's a combination of 2 styrene-strips : one halfround 1,5 mm glued upon 1x3 mm strip.

Rather than wood, just felt more comfortable with this option. One disadvantage : cyano-glue is mandatory if you want to fix styrene items. It can be messy.

Next step : deck planking, perhaps ?

Don't you worry about planking under the waterline : this area is to be covered with copper tiles anyway.

Cheers, and a coronafree X-mas  to you all.

IMG_3948.jpg

IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

• 5 weeks later...

Finished deck planking and gratings.

The latter were purchased. Why am I thinking about Belgian Waffles ?

Many French ships seem to have this characteristic  darker (sometimes black) strips are embedded inside the deck planking. Although I  can only guess the purpose, I copied the idea as it is pleasing to the eye. As a matter of exercise,  planks were a bit tapered towards the bow. I'm planning to implement this on the forecastle, according to plan.

Put her alongside HMS Diana, from which I removed the dust. Regarding this matter, a solution is in the making (it's about time, shame on me).

The photo is deceiving : HMS Diana is not that smaller, in real.

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3985.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

About time for an update, progress is slower compared to kit building ( those were the days...)

First of all  I'd sincerely wish to thank all members who replied to my topic "3D drawings 18pdr at 1/64 scale", posted last Februari 11. Among those generous offers, one in particular caught my attention as it exempted me from the necessary drawingwork as well as the production of the guns  itself. The final acquisition was the result of old fashion interchange. I can assure, guns are state of the art.

Aside from modelingmatters I find it very pleasing to chat with a fellow- MSW-member regarding other subjects and life in general. We agreed about the life-necessity of chocolate .  For the interested in 3D expertise: please contact "puckotred".

Regarding the painting :

- overall : AV RAL 7021, Black Grey 70.862.

- edges and reinforcement rings were covered with AV 70.863 Gun Metal.

Although the pics may not show, the effect is very pleasing to the eye.

A modest attempt to scratchbuild the ship's stove is also included in this post ( + continuation )

20210404_172324 - Copy.jpg

20210404_172324.jpg

20210404_172651_mfnr - Copy.jpg

20210404_172651_mfnr.jpg

20210404_173903_mfnr - Copy.jpg

20210404_173903_mfnr.jpg

20210404_174436 - Copy.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

21 hours ago, Barbossa said:

We agreed about the life-necessity of chocolate

For me too.

Belgian chocolate, preferably fondant (dark chocolate)

And, very nice work on the model 👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

• 2 months later...

For present update, I shifted my attention towards the bow section.

Decoration rails, first attempt :

Manaufacturing a relief-shape into a curved strip was a bit tricky, thus I avoided this roadblock by adding a black paper strip in the center....

Bow-0001.jpg

Bow-0002.jpg

Bow-0003.jpg

Bow-0004.jpg

Bow-0005.jpg

Bow-0006.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

....But I felt unhappy, so what do you do ?

Of course...you rip it off and start all over again.

So I took the opposite way : 2 small paper strips upon a black rail.

Much better.

Bow-0005.jpg

Bow-0006.jpg

Bow-0011.jpg

Bow-0012.jpg

Bow-0013.jpg

Bow-0014.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

The additional ornament on the stern gallery was another story. As the curve was delicate, I splitted it up in 2 halves.

Next pics show my woodcurving skills are limited, less to say equal to zero

The decoration strips under the window are an assembly of 2 styrene strips : a half round 1,5 mm and  a 1x2mm strip

STG-0001.jpg

STG-0002.jpg

STG-0003.jpg

STG-0004.jpg

STG-0005.jpg

STG-0006.jpg

STG-0007.jpg

STG-0008.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Very nice work  👍

Regards, Patrick

Thanks Patrick + all the likes.

Next episode : further details on the bow section + adding the copper plates.

Purchased ( long time ago ) the necessary number of copper plates through Victory Amati.

Regarding my previous build ( HMS Diana) , I still regret I carried out this operation using the copper plates supplied in the box : lesson learned.

Take care.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

• 4 months later...

It’s been a while

Coppering is a bit time consuming. The plates were purchased through Victory Amati. This is a lesson learned : from aesthetical point of view I should have applied them instead of those supplied in the box of my previous build ( HMS Diana Caldercraft ). It’s money well spent.

The shiny look  is rather a consequence than a purpose : I had to remove the sporadically traces of CA and the most delicate steel wool leaves no scratches, although it is recommendable to preliminary test this method with copperplate leftovers. Be cautious.

I guess there are probably better ways ( chemical ?) to remove traces of CA-glue on copperplates : feel free to reply, other members might benefit from this topic.

The strip that covers the transition between the black painted wale area and the copperplates is from cartridge paper that received a coat  AV 71.036 Mahagony-paint. The choice of the mahogany color ? This matter was submitted to the aesthetical taste of Mrs. Barbossa. The idea of the paper strip is not by the book but very convenient and pleasing to the eye. The main reason : paper allows cutting in all forms and shapes which might prove handy when bow and stern area curves are involved. Most of all : the awkward cut copperplates alongside the waterline are not visible.

Concerning the rudder and especially the hinges that support and connect the rudder to the keel I also went for the paper solution. I covered a part of a sheet with AV 70.994 Dark grey. Flipped to the other side where I drew a sort of a grid. The next step reminded me of kindergarten ( long ago ) : gently insert a hole with a pin at every crossing to create a sort of an embossing effect to simulate the presence of the nails. Then cut the strips and apply with epoxy. I would not recommend CA glue for this operation as the latter allows few possibilities for corrections.

I have special embossing metal sheets at my disposal but I could not obtain a clean cut with a Stanley knife for the small strips.

The pins that connect and secure the hinges are from tooth prick extremities that also were painted in AV 70.994 Dark grey.

I know there are probably better ways of proceeding mastered by experienced scratch builders  : but the here-above described approach was doable and most of all : it was fun.

Next move ?

After finishing the hull, I’d like to insert a little break. I must admit I underestimated the time consuming element of this project ( Job + family life ) compared with previous kit projects. Another argument  : the evolution in the kit market ( e.g. HMS Sphinx ) I wonder if this gem were to be released a few years earlier to my current project, I ever would have started it in the first place. Nonetheless, I intend to finish what I started, be it in several episodes.

( waiting on the shelf : HMS Pegasus, HMS Speedy and a whole collection of WW II airplanes )

See for more pics

IMG_4009.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

IMG_4020.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4024.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Looks great, Christian.  I like it that the nails for the copper aren't visible. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

You're welcome Mark.

Thanks for all the likes.

Oops : only now I realize an error related to the update .

The correct reference of the AV Dark Grey color  ( which I found the most suitable for the "hinges-job" ) is definitely AV 70.994 Dark Grey and not AV 70.862 ( Black Grey ) as the 3rd pic on the first update erroneously suggests.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Very nice work Christian.
Indeed, building scratch models takes a lot of time.

Regards, Patrick